Tyre Presure TGB 13

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Anthony

Tyre Presure TGB 13

Post by Anthony »

I have asked this question on another forum and recieved some usuful information.

Vehicle Front Rear

C 303 G. S. Cargo 1.7 kp/cm² (24 Ibf/in²) 1.7 kp/cm² (24 Ibf/in²)
C 304 Mortar 1.9 kp/cm² (27 Ibf/in²) 1.9 kp/cm² (27 Ibf/in²)
Gun Tower 1.9 kp/cm² (27 Ibf/in²) 2.4 kp/cm² (34 Ibf/in²)
Ambulance 1.9 kp/cm² (27 Ibf/in²) 1.7 kp/cm² (24 Ibf/in²)
C 306 6x6 G. S. Cargo 1.9 kp/cm² (27 Ibf/in²) 1.9 kp/cm² (27 Ibf/in²)

My own TGB 13 has 160 stenciled over the wheels which will be kPa, 1.6 bar or 23.2psi.

Does any one else have any information concerning the tyre correct tyre pressures for these vehicles? I am not so interested in what folk actualy use.

I am sorry but no matter how I try I can not seam to get the figures in line or in a tabulated form.
Last edited by Anthony on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
GB
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Hi Anthony Have you seen this site before? http://www.c303.de/c303-en/operators-manuals.htm Manual #3 has tire pressures i think on page 4 or 5
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi Eric, thank you for your reply.

It is from Michael the site owner that I received the list of tyre pressures for the TGB13. I have contributed to his forum for a while now! It was a a club member from Michael's forum whom I received my TGB from! :

The reasons why I was seeking additional information was because I believe that Volvo revised tyre pressures for the TGB when they were refurbished, they reduced the recommended pressures. In GB it is an offence to run any vehicle outside the range recommended by a manufacturer. Doing so might subject one to prosecution by the police and may also be declared uninsured by an insurance company because it might be considered defective. Insurance companies are always looking for loopholes in the law to avoid paying out especially if claims are large.

Also the pressures stenciled on my vehicle do not appear to correspond exactly with anything that I have read on any documents. My vehicle was on of the refurbished vehicles so I am assuming that the stenciled figures are what Volvo intended but I am just making sure.
Anthony
GB
andy

Post by andy »

Hi Anthony, boy I thought some of our laws were petty. The local gendarmes would have a field day with me because my tires always have slow leaks or something and I have to really stay on top of them.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Anthony, If any changes were made wouldn't there have to be additions to the manual? In code books here get changed all the time. the pink or blus pages usually. wouldn't you be able to find any changes in your updated manual?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Lots of poeple drive around with defective cars all the while. The police are and other agencies are trying to crack down on it. It may depend on were one lives. I live in a country framing area, you might think that their might be no checks here but their are. The police & other agencies congregate on certain roads, they cone off lanes and have police guarding other junctions just in case they see some one sneaking off. They then select who they want to look at, cars, lorries, vans what ever. Touch wood I have never been stopped, but I have passed by, its a bit of a lottery. They can look at anything including tyres. Its to do with safety as much as pulling in poeple who pay no tax or insurances. The police have a data bank at Swansea and can tell fro a number plate who owns the vehicle and if it has passed its MOT and has tax & insurance. It can be a bit oppressive but it will save lives as well.

It has been proven for instance that incorrectly inflated tyres over or under degrade handing and degrade braking performance. They look at trailers as well.

Drunk & drugged drivers also get caught.

This stop search and inspect is not all of the time but it does happen unexpectedly.
Anthony
GB
andy

Post by andy »

If that was over here it would be a guise to collect revenue. Yes, it does save lives, but the cops use it to develop probable cause to search for other things. It is just a little more freedom you are asked to give up because they are only trying to save lives. If you are against that then you are obviously unreasonable, selfish and probably seditious. The governments keep way too much information about us.

Regards,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I do not believe it is a tax or revenue thing over here, it must be costly to set up and organise. Many think it is a good idea as they pull a lot of these defective vehicles off the road, some have to be transported away, some of them end up being crushed. Of course their may be fines imposed and for commercial vehicles their may be other implications as well. They will also look in fuel tanks and test te to see if any one is using fuel like red diesel/ agri diesel which has no tax paid on it.

For commercial Lorries they will look at Tachographs to check driver hours, have they stopped for meal breaks rest periods and maximum hours, drugs drink etc. Simple things like are they qualified for driving that weight of truck. Load checks for weigh and safety, illegal immigrants. Chassis and tyre checks, Brakes etc. Other agencies will be looking for contraband, illegal workers, etc

Private vehicles checks, drink, drugs, tax, insurance, emissions, possibly. Brakes, tyres for ware and pressure. Windscreen damage. Seat belts. legal checks on driver qualifications.

I and many others believe that these sorts of checks are essential to in keeping our roads safer. This will most probably happen throughout Europe as many of the regulations concerning vehicles and usage are covered by EU regulations now.

What is a pain and what does attract money for police forces throughout GB is that any profit made out of speed traps goes right back into police coffers! Some of the antics that they go to to catch offenders does make one wonder. I think that they may at times even put the public at risk to pull in revenue. I have even heard it in North Wales that the Police are on a bonus system and get rewards for pulling poeple over for speeding and may even get a rebuke for not attaining a certain numerical target!

It is not seen as a limit of freedom unless one wants a freedom to pollute or kill and Mame or to allow criminal activities to continue unchecked.

I do agree that governments and agencies have far to much information about us, power and controle. They do not safeguard our information either. A very high proportion of our sensitive information has been lost, we are talking about millions of poeple in GB have been effected by car less government handling of our records. Every day we hear of another scandal of lost personal computer records. They try to suppress the truth about what is happening to cover up government incompetence. Yet all the while they are tricking us into giving up more and more freedom for our so called own good. Its all a safeguard against terrorism we are told. That is crap of course as criminals and terrorist use forged and stolen documentation. It is the security agencies keeping an eye on us common poeple. As our security agencies EM EYE FIVE & SIX etc are controlled by SEE EYE AYE intelligence, any way, one wonders just who want this information and exactly why?
Anthony
GB
andy

Post by andy »

The old, "If I write one more ticket this week, my wife gets a new toaster." trick in N. Wales huh? Shocker that 007 was actually saving the world for the folks in Langley, VA.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Hi, Athony I emailed a friend at wheel pro He asked me if you are running the same tires as the factory installed when your truck was made?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Goodyear STUDDED SUREGRIP 280/85-16 6 PLY made in Sweden,

is what is on my TGB 13. I suspect that they have been replaced as the tread looks newish on all 6, the spare was bu**ered. As far as I know the Police advise about tyres over a certain age but I do not think that it is an offence in GB yet, though it probably will be if it is in the rest of Europe, we will all be the same across the board eventualy :roll: . Rims are 7.5"x16".

I will be replacing the tyres some time in the future and will go slightly bigger to 9.00 x 16 or more. Their are a lot of interesting tyres available these days but unfortunatly many will be too wide for the rims.

Rims are another problem, in that I do not think any one has found a suitable wheel from another manufacturer that is commonly available, if at all.
That would mean either having new rims built to a spec, having mine widened or adapting an existing commonly available wheel to the correct 8 stud PCD. The latter looks to be the cheapest option. their are engineering firms that will widen practically any wheel with certification. but would be expensive. Having new wheels built could cost a mortgage I imagine?

I have been looking at the Portal Tech Disc Brake Conversion. It looks to be quality built but expensive. However it allows the fitment of cheaper commonly available wheels from Landrover and Jeep which could average costs out and allow a wider choice of tyres at the same time. The only thing is I can not get a proper and accurate measurement from their representative here in GB for the measurement of Wheel Mounting Surface to Wheel Mounting Surface, that is, the width of the axle.

It is early days so I am not in a rush to spend what I do not have at the moment and have to balance against other things in life.
Anthony
GB
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Anthony, did you ever find any thing in wrighting on the tire pressure changes from the factory?