Questions from a new guy

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
comthin48

Questions from a new guy

Post by comthin48 »

Greetings from Wash. State. Firstly let me say that I am new to the Volvo off road scene. I am currently looking to purchase a machine. Don't know which model yet. I would like to get some feedback in terms of parts problems that have been experienced. Is it as difficult as I have read? Also, any sources for the hard to find items. Thanks
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

[url]http://www.xtremevehicles.com/html/service.html[/url] Have you talked to these guys? i have a friend here looking at one as well from what he's learned it sounds like some of the axle parts would be hard to find. but as far as electrical he has found some cross refrence parts. Anthony has talked about disc brakes on teh forum before as well.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

comthin48,

welcome to the forum. Some Volvo addresses for you.

http://www.c303.de/c303-forum/index.php German Forum very friendly you can use Google to translate but most members speak better English than I do. there are some very well informed poeple here also there is a very useful information chapter written in both English and and German pages as well http://www.c303.de/c303-en/index.htm

http://www.terrangbil.net/ Swedish forum you can write in English many speak it but Google will not translate you will have to use other translators do a Google search for Swedish - English Translations or ask me. I do not use this very good site very often because of the difficulties with translations but I do look every now and then. Great pictures very informed practically any mod that can be done has been done on this forum.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Volvo303/ last but not least by any means very informative multi national in English only.

I have not bought any parts yet but I understand that Volvo cars will provide many of them if you have a part number if not they have not got a clue. Engine is more or less the same as the Volvo 164 saloon & estate the engine is a b130 6cyl petrol; from that car. UJ or hook joints are Landrover as are the brake shoes. Some parts are a bit strange for example the wheels 8 stud but no one seams to have matched them up with anything else.

Diesel engine conversions are possible and there have been a few different types used. Portal Tech do disc brake conversions which also allows a change to more popular wheels from Landrover or Jeep. Power steering is available either the ram assisted type or the more common commercial type.

As to which vehicle to choose, well that is a personal thing but the 6x6 is far more comfortable due in part to the rear Bogey type wheel arrangement, this allows fairly high average speed runs across bumpy ground and they do not bob around as much. They will also make more luxurious campers due to the available space which is huge. It can be argued that they are also more capable off road but I have not tried them both. The 4x4 is faster having higher gearing and is easier to park in town and to maneuver.

Like all trucks of this age they have there foibles but are reliable if maintained. Important bits are the drop axles etc. The Swedish armed forces had a refurbishment program which essentially replace all of the body work with galvanised parts and supposedly made the engine lead free but the latter can not be relied upon. The inside of a TGB in good condition is I believe better than the Pinzgauer and very well lade out but that will cause an argument so forget that I said it. They also have more axle articulation and have bigger wheels than a Pinzgauer but each has its merits.

I am sure that some one will be along soon to add further information.
Anthony
GB
comthin48

Thank You very much!

Post by comthin48 »

A large thank you to Erick and Anthony for your help with my first question. It is nice to know that there are such helpful and knowledgable people out there .
The websites mentioned will be of great use. Anthony, I have friend that speaks fluent Swedish so the language issue should not be a problem.
The only problem that is left is the how, the when, and which model.
Thank you again for your time and trouble.

There will be more questions from me in the near future!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

comthin48,

I am happy that the information is useful to you. What uses do expect to put the Volvo to and how might you go about this. There area a couple of variations on the 4x4 5 door and tank killer and there are verious models available with the 6x6 version, Command Cab with 5 doors and seven seats, Ambulance and Radio Truck. The latter two have extended square type body work. there are some other minor variants also. To confuse matters further there are some extra long wheel base versions in both 6x6 and 4x4. These cover Troop carriers and Fire trucks in 6x6 with the extra length mainly coming I believe that they are all 12V while military ones are 24V.

Mine is the command cab TGB13.

http://www.c303.de/c303-en/what-c303.htm
Anthony
GB
comthin48

You are making me think.....

Post by comthin48 »

Thanks for the questions, Anthony. Two major reasons for the Volvo; the first being the opportunty to work on a project together with my Grandson, the second being having a fun vechicle to spend some time in.
We have quite a few places that one can travel to that have trails and such to drive
I think that I am leaning towards a two axle model, might involve a bit less maintence. The question becomes either a hardtop or the soft top. Read some of the pros and cons of both. And of course there is the rain factor in this part of the world.
I have checked around though and have found that one can have very good and durable soft tops made. With the addition of a few more cross members on the frame one might be able to make the tank killer function in the weather. In terms of that , do you know if the soft top has two heaters. Can't recall reading that anywhere.
Well it's time to go out to the shop to fix those things that are broken. Thank you again for the reply and I look forward to hearing from you
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Do you mean was their an auxiliary heater? Or do you mean an additional heater outlet? I do not know about an auxiliary heater but there are normally 2 heater outlets with 2 speed fans, one in the front for the normal things like windscreen and feet but normally there is one in the central compartment that is also a two speed unit and is quite affective. If you intend to fit a stand alone heater either air or better still a water heater there are plenty of discussions covering this on the Pinzgauer technical section. Dennis of Linden Engineering is very knolageable about such things and is an agent for I think Webasto ( I hope that I have that right ) he can fit any of those or provide a kit for your needs. You may need to contact him via e mail or to Linden Engineering Direct. He is very friendly and amenable. I guess from your comments that you have a lot of rain in Washington I have no idea what the span of weather that you may expect in any part of the US. I made a mistake the other day in assuming what the weather might be in Sanfrancisco much to every ones amusement :oops:

Do you intend to camp in the vehicle? I prefer hard tops one because of the protection afforded from severe weather and also for security. I am not sure how much space is in the tank killer or TGB 1111 it is a strange looking contraption and very minimalist. The only extra maintenance for the 6x6 would be or the extra axle and associated bits.

A realy wonderful thing for a Grandfather and Grandson to do together your very fortunate.
Anthony
GB
comthin48

No camping for me...

Post by comthin48 »

Getting back to you Anthony, I will not be doing any camping with the vehicle. Rather just a fun thing to work on and drive. I have thought of another question. What is the deal in terms of using a lead additive? Does this stuff work or is one better off to remove the head and have the hardened seats put in.

Thanks
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

comthin48,

Last weekend, we moved a partially disassembled Sjuktransport TGB 1314 6x6 from Clatskanie, Oregon to Olympia, WA. We have been given the task of installing a Mercedes Benz OM603A turbo-diesel engine using the SMT conversion kit.

Several work weekends will be upcoming in April and May. I will be driving my TGB11 up on at least one of those weekends. Feel free to contact me through either of the sites below for details. You might also want to plan to attend Northwest MogFest 2008 the third weekend in August. This year, they may be as many as a dozen Volvo 4x4 and 6x6 trucks pesent.

Do you have a first name?

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
http://www.volvo4x4.com