Another toy..

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
M Wehrman
United States of America

Another toy..

Post by M Wehrman »

Today I will be picking up a TGB1312 radio truck to keep my Pinzes company,I am sure I will have some of the same newbe questions that I've seen on the Pinz side,so be patient with me!
:lol:
Oooooooh! New Toy! :D :D
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Correction,TGB1317 8)

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with this one
Mike
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

got any pic's?
ka

Post by ka »

yeah, we need pix! i cant find anything with that model number anywhere.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

not the exact truck but here is one similar
http://www.volvoc303.com/html/vehicles_in_stock.html

Of course the color has been changed and the rims were chromed by previous owner, but I am sure Mark will fix all that and make things right.

Have you taken possession of both pieces yet? If you need help let me know.
Mike
ka

Post by ka »

so owning a volvo doesn't freighten you? i mean i get the idea that parts dont exist. i'd have one if i knew it could be repaired.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

mjnims

Post by mjnims »

ka
The volvo has a conventional platform. Mark has the ability to look outside the box to fix things. If there were to be a major engine or tranny problem the simple fix would be to just put in a modern EFI straight six and matching tranny. The difference in the Volvo and the pinz is the conventional frame makes engine swaps easy. Even if a transfer case were to fail it is not all that difficult to put a new process unit in and keep going. The rest of the electrical and air items could be converted to new easy enough with just a little thought. If you want to restore a Volvo you might have a task on your hands.
Mike
ka

Post by ka »

oh! so if you're willing do swap things out you can keep one totally up and running???? if so, i want one.
1973 710m

mjnims

Post by mjnims »

ka, after looking at one I don't know how long I would wait to upgrade the engine/tranny. Would be real nice to have an automatic and all the torque a ford 300 efi straight six could provide.

The one Mark just bought has an fuel injection system recently installed on it. When I helped the previous owner take it home with the newly installed FI it really got up and went even with the stock motor.
Mike
ka

Post by ka »

ok - i'm inspired. as long as there are no show-stoppers incorporated into their design i'm gonna start looking around.
1973 710m

M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Wow! It got busy! I am waiting for the box to come across town,and pics would be VERY disturbing as the color it has been painted is hideous and no care was taken to surface prep. :x :x I need to undo a lot of cosmetic work from the previous owner,but the drive train seems quite strong. Some rust issues,but that will be taken care of in time. On second thought,I will post a few pics,so my work would be appreciated later. This will be a long term project..... :lol: :lol:

Mark

68 Haffy
ka

Post by ka »

please! thx! and do you know where i might get a good one?
1973 710m

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

ka wrote:please! thx! and do you know where I might get a good one?
Ka before you jump into another vehicle. You should research the volvo a little. Mark is a retired auto mechanic his skill level maybe a little higher than mine or yours. Don't take this the wrong way, but Mike is making it sound a little easier than it is.
Last edited by Erik712m on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

ka
follow the link above. Extreme vehicles usually can get you a good truck. He is also able to provide some support for the vehicles both technical and parts.
Mike