I think I want ALL foreign Military Vehicles...... at first

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
NM_Mogman

I think I want ALL foreign Military Vehicles...... at first

Post by NM_Mogman »

So, it started with the UNIMOG. I had to have one and so I did my research, went to EI to check them out and then my wife fell in love with a Pinz 710k!!! So we got one. It was great at first until we started going through fuel like no tomorrow. Scott being the great guy he is, took it back with no questions asked and best wishes (I would recommend that ANYONE who is thinking of dealing with him DO IT)! So back to the UNIMOG. I did more research and thought I found the "Right" one and bought it. Took it to NWMF '05 and had a blast. The reality of the set-up and the lack of "power" set in and then I realized that it was not what i really wanted so I sold it. Now I began thinking that I may really enjoy an SBU UNIMOG and started looking around for one. As a temporary compromise so that we would again have a MV in the fleet we bought a Pinz 710M so we could go camping, fishing, exploring, etc... Great truck and almost unstoppable, but lacking in the power department!!! On with the search!!! I am thinking that I may want to go with a VOLVO 6x6! I have been doing my research and it seems to be a great "in-between" vehicle that may just be able to provide the necessary room (TGB-20 preferably) and added power to haul and sustain comfortable cruising speed even up-hill.

The problem that I keep running into is that what I want usually turns out not to be what I thought. I wish that I could temporarily "trade" vehicles with someone so that I can really drive it and try it out (without going extreme and beating it up because that would not be cool at all!). I know that I will probably never get modern cruising speeds and comforts (without serious modifications) out of a MV because that is not what they were designed for, but I would like to have a little more than the UNIMOG and PINZ offer.
This is sort of a crazy request I know but would there happen to be anyone with a Volvo 6x6 near the Albuquerque, NM area that would be willing to let me check out their truck before I just buy one and then find it not to be what I thought it would be?

Phil Tupelu
Rio Rancho, NM
(505) 331-2120
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Phil,

The Volvo C-series trucks are going to be nothing like an Unimog or a Pinzgauer when it comes to road travel. The Volvo has far better sound insulation and other comfort features in the cab than the Pinz or anything earlier than an SBU Unimog.

As far as the Volvo 4x4 trucks go, they are quite capable of highway speeds but you wouldn't want to stay at 65+ for long. Also keep in mind you are fairly high up off the ground on a short 91" wheelbase. The 6x6 trucks are far more stable on the road (as iff on rails) but there is a price to pay. Speed!

Due to lower gearing on the 6x6 trucks, get accustomed to 50 mph cruising. Taller tires my improve things slightly but you then lose the phenomenal low end. There is a possible solution on the horizon. Work is currently underway by an O/D manufacturer to produce a bolt on O/D unit for the Volvo trucks. We are hoping the prototype will be ready for installation and testing within the next 1-2 months. I am due to call the manufacturer on Monday for the next update.

If all goes well, NWMF09 may be the unveiling of our Volvo 6x6 ambulance with Mercedes OM617A turbo-diesel power and overdrive. Easily achievable hightway speeds, no loss of lower gearing, diesel ecomomy and torque on a 6x6 platform. All this in a smaller foot print than a Suburban.

I do not currently know of anyone in your area with a Volvo 6x6. You might want to pose the question on the Volvo303 list at Yahoo Groups. Best wishes on your search. Hope to see you our our way again sometime.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http;//www.northwestmogfest.com'
http://www.volvo4x4.com
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Phil,

The Volvo C-series trucks are going to be nothing like an Unimog or a Pinzgauer when it comes to road travel. The Volvo has far better sound insulation and other comfort features in the cab than the Pinz or anything earlier than an SBU Unimog.

As far as the Volvo 4x4 trucks go, they are quite capable of highway speeds but you wouldn't want to stay at 65+ for long. Also keep in mind you are fairly high up off the ground on a short 91" wheelbase. The 6x6 trucks are far more stable on the road (as iff on rails) but there is a price to pay. Speed!

Due to lower gearing on the 6x6 trucks, get accustomed to 50 mph cruising. Taller tires my improve things slightly but you then lose the phenomenal low end. There is a possible solution on the horizon. Work is currently underway by an O/D manufacturer to produce a bolt on O/D unit for the Volvo trucks. We are hoping the prototype will be ready for installation and testing within the next 1-2 months. I am due to call the manufacturer on Monday for the next update.

If all goes well, NWMF09 may be the unveiling of our Volvo 6x6 ambulance with Mercedes OM617A turbo-diesel power and overdrive. Easily achievable hightway speeds, no loss of lower gearing, diesel ecomomy and torque on a 6x6 platform. All this in a smaller foot print than a Suburban.

I do not currently know of anyone in your area with a Volvo 6x6. You might want to pose the question on the Volvo303 list at Yahoo Groups. Best wishes on your search. Hope to see you our our way again sometime.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http;//www.northwestmogfest.com'
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear about the OD unit and I will be sure to get one IF I find/buy a 6x6. I am ok with the 50mph cruising but I seriously hate hitting a slight hill and losing speed like nobody's business!!! Very frustrating. I just want reliability, a bit more oomph, and the OD would just be a bonus!! I do like the Pinz we have now and it runs great, but I think I really want a VOLVO 6x6, preferably with the soft top rear so as to loose the weight up high.

I hope that we can once again make it to NWMF because we had such a good time in '05. We are quite a bit farther now but we may at least be able to send some more stuff for the raffle to help you guys fray the cost a little. Maybe a couple different vehicles in some configuration or another like the one we sent last year.

Give our best to the family and I will be looking forward to hearing about the forthcoming OD!!!

Phil[/url]
Indiana Drew

Post by Indiana Drew »

That sounds like a great improvement! Are there dimension of engine, tranny, prop shaft and t-case somewhere for C304?
Indiana Drew

No Pinzgauer/Volvo Yet ...
G500 280GE
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

So what is it that holes pistons? :shock: Detonation,engine temp? Just wondering as I plan to run the pogies out of my TGB just like my Pinz. If RPM was the issue, I would think things coming apart would be the norm. I have no issues running anything at or near redline as long as oil pressure,temps and detonation are under control. :lol:
Mark

P.S ,nice to see activity in this section of the forum! :D
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sorry for the miss-post,this was supposed to be under the "thinking of investing in a 303 " line.
Mark

68 Haffy
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Glad that you did post. Nice looking truck as your avatar, is that yours!!! I may be on the verge of trading for a TGB-20 with a Powerstroke conversion and I am VERY excited about the prospect!!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Thanks for the compliment,yeh it's my beast. It's got a killer stereo,A/C,TD Trans (new add still feeling it out) and because of all my adds,will need a power boost (2.7 or better). Another future add will be P/S but I must admit,the volvo project really has my interest now....I see a lot of potential to not be "stock" :lol:
Mark

68 Haffy
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Phil,

You mentioned you may be looking at picking up a TGB20 with a Power Stroke conversion. Might that truck be this one?

http://www.xtremevehicles.com/html/vehi ... rrive.html

If so, I would be suggest you check on at least a few things.

First, look at the clearance between the front driveshaft and the starter bulge on the bell housing. Keep in mind that the original B30A starter lives on the driver's side of the truck.

Second, the main gear shift function is now being controlled by two cables, one of which appears to be quite long. The transfer case is also actuated by a pair of cables. The beauty of the original system is that all shifting duties are accomplished with one lever and can be done on the fly. It appears this luxury is given up with this conversion system. Just looking at the the cables attached the stub shift lever on top of the transmission, one can see those inner cable ends are going to spend a spend a good portion of their lives our of alignment with their outer cases. Forward, backward, side-to-side as you row through the gears time after time after time. something is sure to become unhappy with the continuous off axis sliding in and out.

Finally, the new engine/transmission/transfer case unit looks quite long. In fact, it appears the standard round cross member (which is also a vacuum reservior) normally located just behind the e-brake is missing. I do not know if something similar was added further back but that cross member is more that what it initially appears.

Perhaps you are looking at a different truck altogether. I wish you the very best in your search.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Mark,

You posed the question, "What holes pistons?" I can tell you that I burned through the side of a head gasket from detonation. I was lucky in that I recognized what was happening and did all I could to minimize the situation during a necessary drive over mountain terrain. When I pulled the cylinder head, I found exhaust valve regression on several cylinders with pitting of the valves as well. New valves and hardened seats took care of that problem. Lead substitues, premium gas, octane boosters and proper engine speed and gear choice on long uphill climbs reduce the detonation issue.

In the case of the 6x6 in question, i believe the first engine went due to a combination of very high revs for long stretches followed by foot to the floor long uphill climbs in top gear. Small amount of pitting begets larger pits if the driving style and geography remain unchanged. The second engine (bored to give a 3.3 liter displacement and running dual downdraft Wever carbs on custom manifolds) died when the upper half of the #5 piston side wall broke free and perforated the crown of said piston. This occured within forty miles of the truck leaving the mechanic's shop. Hard revving of a newly rebuilt motor? A poor rebuild effort? A defective part destined for early failure? A combination of factors? Who knows.

I think the stock engine is a great powerplant not prone to failure. But like any powerplant, if you ignore the warning signs and do not act to correct a less than optimal situation, you are begging for less than optimal engine longevity.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Jim,
I am not sure if that is the same one but I will be sure to check things out when and if I get to drive it and inspect it further. The guy that has it did tell me that the shifter is all messed up with the cables and that he planned to modify them with a heim joint or something. I really need to do some serious looking around at it and if you do not mind, maybe you can email me with some other things to check out as well and maybe I can call you when I am looking at it as well.

NM_Mogman@yahoo.com
(505) 331-2120

[quote="Jim Molloy"]Phil,

You mentioned you may be looking at picking up a TGB20 with a Power Stroke conversion. Might that truck be this one?

http://www.xtremevehicles.com/html/vehi ... rrive.html

If so, I would be suggest you check on at least a few things.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Phil,

Feel free to give me a call. I would be happy to discuss some of the potential traps to look for on the TGB trucks.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Phil,

These might help.

Cell 971.241.2458
Farm 503.843.4607