Hard Cold Start

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Captain Crank

Hard Cold Start

Post by Captain Crank »

My Volvo doesn't like starting very easily at anything under 32 F.

Even with a magnetic oil pan heater. Battery is good.

The cold start device needed some adjusting and I thought that would solve it.

Still struggles. It seems like a lack of fuel is the issue.

Would a booster pump at the tank help or is there a problem with the cold start device I should look into?

Thanks
I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and 4x4's ............. the rest of it I just wasted.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Kapitan ciguenal o chiflado :lol:
Captain Crank
Firstly what oil do you have in the cab dash pots?--must be something like Dexron or SAE 5 weight.

Next pull the choke cable and see if the jet assy on both carbs is moving down into the enrichment position.

Next take a look at the servo hoses and the brake vacuum check valve in the chassis by the exhaust system. It often splits causing a vacuum leak and poor manifold depressions.

Next turn your attention to the diaphragms in each carburetor. Remove the top cover and take a look at diaphragm condition. They can split and cause poor carb response. Don't mix up the dash pots and diaphragms! Once reinstalled and the air filter removed, lift each piston up against the spring and let it go--It should return to base with a resounding thump like click!
No binding allowed!

If all that checks out remove the side plastic covers on the right side of the carb bodies and check the thermo warm up valve(s) and the plunger at the forward section of the recess--It often gets gummed up.
By the way what do you have the beast timed at? Have you checked the fuel filter of late and the lift pump/suction hose condition all cause these systems.
On the whole its a good cold starter!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Captain Crank

Post by Captain Crank »

Dennis,

Well, that is about the best buncha concise answers ever!

Only had this truck a short time, so still learning.
It has about 77,000 KM on it.
Appears well maintained, a civilian rescue unit.

I will check out everything you suggested.
Not sure on dash pot oil.
I know the choke cable is fully extending but will look at jet assys.

Filter is good. Fuel hoses appear good. No leaks. Same with pump.
Timing has not been checked but when running seemed right and starts real nice when when warmer out, also no pinging or detonation.

Idle was high when I got it and it had a very rich smell to it.
I was able to bring it down with adjusting screws and it seemed to help somewhat.
Could still be running a bit rich on idle.
I will look at the servo hoses and brake check valve closely.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I will report back.

John

Kapitan ciguenal o chiflado ?
Babel fish couldn't figure out...... I think it must be funny or dirty.
I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and 4x4's ............. the rest of it I just wasted.
lindenengineering

Captain Crank
The dash pots are the chambers formed by the vacuum piston needle jet assembly sliding inside the top cover.
The top cover has a black plastic cap on it---and if you remove it you will find it is attached to a fine rod and piston assembly.

To prevent the slider assy from fluttering under the influence of air flow pulses at low idle and start, a few drops of oil are required inside the slider sleeve. In fact to about 1/8th (3mm) the top edge which you can see by peering into the aperture with the cap removed.
Obviously the cap/piston arrangement will have some resistance to insertion, but putting thicker oil in the pot will slow the rise of the piston under cold conditions masking starts difficult.

These Stromberg carburetors and the SU equivalents were the instrument to have on your Euro car in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
All of us Brit mechanics grew up with a range of cars having these carb tuning tasks to accomplish. They are very familiar to us greying haired mechs these days! (if we haven't lost some of it dealing with auto electonics) :lol: :twisted:

As for the words "ciguenal"--you should have simply looked up a Spanish dictionary for the meaning ---ciguenal (should have an enneyeh--wavy line over the "n")--is a crankshaft.
Chiflado--Spanish for "cranky" or "eccentric"--there are other words depends where you are in the Spanish speaking world. :lol:
I use Spanish everyday with some of my guys and having spent years in Lat Am I enjoy social/technical discourses with them in their mother tongue.
Anyway best of luck with the "carbies" and come back with more questions if you need to ask.
Cheers Dennis
Captain Crank

Post by Captain Crank »

lindenengineering wrote: As for the words "ciguenal"--you should have simply looked up a Spanish dictionary for the meaning ---ciguenal (should have an enneyeh--wavy line over the "n")--is a crankshaft.
Chiflado--Spanish for "cranky" or "eccentric"--there are other words

:lol: :lol:

My better half would agree about the eccentric part!

I didn't know that the oil was so critical, even so much as the viscosity.

Mucho Gracias
lindenengineering

John
In Latin America it's usual to end up with a nickname (sobre nombre -- apodo) after a while. :roll:
I worked with a guy who had a severely pockmarked face from acne scars--His nick name was 'guanabana" the Spanish for the fruit Soursop which has a similar looking white and reddish skin. :lol:

Equally I once was on TV, Venezuela's Venevision ,explaining our program of transit bus reconstruction and recycling some of the quite serviceable parts thrown in the scrap pile!
I made the mistake of using the word "Cachibatchi" --junk and scrap. :twisted:
The following day driving into the Metro de Caracas bus yards in San Martin I was greeted by the term "Dennis --Senor Cachibachi buenas dias"! Never lived that one down--from then on I was always refered to "Mr Junk and Scrap" :twisted: :lol:
Charming :lol:
Dennis
lindenengineering

John
If you want to see the buses open this link and scroll down to September 2007 or line #3 and open the Metro link.
or
You will see the Leyland Dafs which were all re-constructed by me and my multi national Lat Am crews. Venezuelans, Columbians, Dominicans and some Cubans--plus us three Brits
http://buscaracas.fotopic.net/

These units made in 1974 were in service from the mid 90's until several years ago being retired to driver training tasks.
Nice to go wandering down memory lane.
Dennis
Captain Crank

Post by Captain Crank »

Dennis,

Your Leylands look similar to the GMC "Fishbowl" transit bus.

Nice resto.

Funny thing you brought that up, I have an old bus also.

A converted '63 GMC PD 4106.

John

lindenengineering

John
Wow!
Nice, one of the classics.
Both were state of the art ring frame construction a la aircraft fusalages.
Bloody marvelous designs.

The other US unit I like is the old Trailways GM semi double decker design. Again American bus design at its best.
Dennis
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Mi Amigo Dennis:

It is a pleasure to know that you were not spared from a nickname while woking in Venezuela, well, it was expected anyway... :lol:

On the other hand I feel the need to correct your word since the spelling is not correct. (As I expect if I ever mispell a word as well)

The word is "cachivache".

In regards to Mr. Guanabana, oh boy you have no idea how much you make me laugh.

Say hi to the family Cachivache! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I've been using Amsoil ATF in my carbs since I got my 303. Never had an issue. In fact, I've never had a more trouble free carb'ed engine.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

lindenengineering

Carlos
Ah la trampa--B's y V's--yes it should have been written with a v!
Thanks for the correction. :lol:

My wife (now long gone ex wife) used to say that Venezuelans were cruel in their use of nicknames, and for me "the funny" was a Brit sales guys that used to visit the Metro. He had a strange mannerism where he would purse & quiver his lips when thinking over a parts pricing deal. :roll:
The local guys would call him "El Pavo" The turkey! :lol: :lol: :lol:
When sitting around an office table they would mimic him poor fellow, I used to have to concentrate not to burst out laughing!
Oh happy days --on the buses!
Best regards to you and the kids--how's the trumpeter?
Dennis