Volvo chat

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
russ

Post by russ »

Dennis,

The smaller version of your picture (avatar) is A LOT less scary! :-)

I need a hat like that for my four wheeling. If the brim isn't wide enough to stop the sun at least the height will cast a shadow on the passenger!

I will talk with you soon on getting brake shoe/drum replacements soon.

OOPS, forgot to mention something on topic... Are there any Volvos in FL? You are always welcome to wheel with us Pinzies and Mogs in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

russ
'74 710K
Roy Gardiner

OT - nArrow viewpoint

Post by Roy Gardiner »

Thanks Mike,

I designed nArrow to overcome the gradual log-jam that's taking over the major Eurpean cities. It tilts, just like a motorcycle and penetrates stationary traffic, just like a motorcycle (only allowed in Europe though I understand) but the steel safety cage, car seats, seatbelts and GRP/Kevlar bodyshell overcome most of the safety defects of a motorcycle.

With car controls, i.e. three pedals and a steering wheel, tilting is controlled automaticallyby the driver's steering input.

Cost of the vehicle depends on whether we build it from your donor BMW K1100 bike's reconditioned components, or all-new BMW parts.

The donor route will produce a nArrow for under £10K ($17K). An all-new components build will be around £16K (i.e. the GoldWing market over here) so maybe $27K, but we haven't shown nArrow to BMW yet, so no details on definite prices/warranty issues yet.

We are thinking about exporting kits to certified building agents in the US, but haven't worked out product liability issues in the Land of Litigation yet! Perhaps Dennis or Vince have looked into this, re. importing vehicles and components?

We will certainly try to get to Las Vegas - the photo opportunities there are just too good to miss!

Roy

p.s. To keep this Off Topic stuff off Vince's board please email me at info@narrowvehicles.co.uk if you'd like any more details guys.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hello Russ

That was John's idea to put in the piccy.
Struth, It frightened me 'n all.
I hope it got shrunk into teeny weenie size by now.

The grey hat is British diplomatic corps issue 1901, I have a similar in black beaver for formal occasions (about the same era). Then, I have the prize, an 1864 stove pipe made by the American Hat Company, sadly not of the same quality as the British millinery, but well made for the austere period the country was going through at the time. Besides it was the hat of choice by the man from Illinois or was it Kentucky? I will leave it up to someone else to argue whether Abe was from which State remarkable as he was..
I don't know if there are any Volvo's yet in Florida but I have some available if there are takers.
By the way I have just been asked to do three more for the burger company , clones on the photographs seen in these threads.

Roy
The thin "Nearacar" intrigues me, I did some of that study in college way back when, and Bond Bugs/Quasars et al were all the rage. I got a free term at Lanchester on the back of that stuff.
I must go to your web site for a glimps. If you ever get to Denver be rest assured we always have PG tips in the pantry with McVities for the cuppa.
Got my lovely wife well trained I have!
Dennis
Roy Gardiner

Post by Roy Gardiner »

lindenengineering wrote:
> The grey hat is British diplomatic corps issue 1901, I have a similar in black beaver for formal occasions (about the same era).

Is it possible that Beaver has a different usage in the States and UK :wink: don't think I'd want one on my head....mind you 'Merkans are different! (look it up!)

> I don't know if there are any Volvo's yet in Florida but I have some
> available if there are takers.
> By the way I have just been asked to do three more for the burger
> company , clones on the photographs seen in these threads.

Congratulations on that order Dennis - good news and more exposure

> Roy - The thin "Nearacar" intrigues me,

One of the guys on our Yahoo Feet Forward group is a Neracar freak - bizarre vehicle but very similar to our design ideals - donkey's years ago!.

> I did some of that study in college way back when, and Bond
> Bugs/Quasars et al were all the rage.

Likewise my pal Mark Crowson has cornered the market for Quasars and bits left in the world - Mark's down in Hastings where we have a Feet Forward bash every September - hope to have nArrow there this year.

> I got a free term at Lanchester on the back of that stuff.

Result!

> I must go to your web site for a glimps.

Please do - bit it's all a bit basic at the moment until we actually have something to sell - then it'll be 'pedal to the metal' with the marketing effort....

> If you ever get to Denver be rest assured we always have PG tips in
> the pantry with McVities for the cuppa. Got my lovely wife well trained I > have!

> Dennis
Excellent news! I'll take you up on that - only problem I HATE TEA! give me a decent cup of coffee any time. Not all Limeys are tea drinkers guys!

Dennis - I have the idea that a demountable GRP camper unit on the back of these cost-effective solid TGB 1314s with LPG for Europe might be a saleable proposition for serious world touring - what do you think?

Roy
lindenengineering

Hey Roy

I was waiting for this moment I suppose, fuel prices have shot up again in the UK according to Auntie Beeb (I get it on line over here). Believe it or not the price per litre appears to be more than a quid in some areas.

I think your idea of a demountable Volvo with an LPG conversion sounds very attractive for those wanting to save enough to buy a pint and something to eat after a day's driving.

I knew there was some religious following of the radical vehicle sector in the UK, thanks for the update, I have lost touch with it of late. The Quasar was my favourite after driving or was it riding one? That was way back in the 70's, quite an eye turner.
By the way who made the aircraft fusalage style BMW bike powered economy car in the 80/90's, it had auto pop out stabilizer wheels to support the thing at traffic lights and so on?.
Roy Gardiner

Volvo chat (well mostly)

Post by Roy Gardiner »

Hi Dennis,

Pleased that you think the demountable camper body scheme could be a goer - checking out some of the prices for expedition vehicles from the US and Germany has been a real eye-opener!, though they are all based on new vehicles so no true comparison possible with a Volvo ex-military vehicle.

My thinking is that the TGB1314 Ambulance or FFR with less than (say) 15K miles can be 'refurbished' for seals, lubricants and consumables and make a very sound basis for an expedition vehicle. A good paint job 'a la Red Robin' and we'll have a very saleable vehicle, with choice of interiors and appliances to customer spec.

We have GRP design/moulding facilities so will develop a slightly wider, modern camper body (to allow an 'east/west' bed, my son Ben can model for that - he's 15 and 6'5" ! If he's comfortable it'll do...

We'll probably fabricate a short chassis extension at the back end to have an overhang no longer than the TGB20 troop truck - just adds more room inside without harming offroad use too badly.

> I knew there was some religious following of the radical vehicle sector in the UK <

Radical ? nothing radical about a 3ft wide 2 seater that does 125mph is there? :wink:

> By the way who made the aircraft fusalage style BMW bike powered economy car in the 80/90's, it had auto pop out stabilizer wheels to support the thing at traffic lights and so on?. <

That would be the ECO, made by Peraves in Switzerland. A full-bodied BMW K1100/1200 bike, until very recently you had to remember to put its stabilisers down manually (!) but a real bargain at £68,000 :shock: (and a six month waiting list) if you are deemed a 'suitable' (i.e. millionaire) owner!. :evil:

Having said all that last thing I heard was that Peraves had sold around a hundred of those machines - which is no small potatoes - would do me nicely next year for nArrow Lanes sales!.

Off on holiday to Italy next week (Lake Garda in the north, with a trip to Verona to the Opera) :roll: after which total focus on delivery of my Volvo.

Roy
lindenengineering

Roy
I have always considered these trucks to have expedition type uses especially like those adventure tours you see in Africa and South America.

Yes, I agree from time to time we see some expensive renditions from the Euro Zone over here based upon Unimog chassis so why not a Volvo.
I am not so sure there is a market here in the USA for such an animal, there are lots of RV's available, some like palaces on wheels.
The concept truck for sales & marketing however is another animal!

As for the radical, well there's nothing wrong with doing 125mph in a 3 feet wide "nearacar", in fact down right exciting. The Quasar was no sluggard either as I recall!
What intrigued me (and still does) was the hub centre steering so much better than telescopic forks, and the constant geometry suspension of some of these contrivances. Why motorcycle manufacturers have turned their noses up at these inventions is beyond me.

As a footnote

I will be in the UK in a short few, my dear old Mum died yesterday at the ripe old age of 85, (heart failure). We will be back in Gloucestershire to say farewell. maybe I will find enough time to say hi whilst there. (I may even rent a car, providing I can get a mortgage to buy fuel during my stay).
Here's a salute to all our moms out there and sweet fondest memories for those that have passed on.
Dennis
Roy Gardiner

UK visit

Post by Roy Gardiner »

Commiserations to you and your family Dennis, still miss my old Mum who died 7 years ago....replied off list to your other points.

Roy
alanh

Post by alanh »

I made it down to Northwest Mogfest 2005 from Seattle in my C303 and had a great time at the Molloy's farm over the weekend. The Molloy family and all the other folks who put on NWMF put in a lot of work and hosted a fine event.

There were lots of Unimogs of all sizes, a number of Pinzgauers, some VW Synchros, Haflingers, and 4 Volvos. There was my C303, Jim's C303 fire truck, Sean's TGB1111 and a C306. (I forgot the owner's name - never been good at that.) Those 3 axle trucks sure look cool. There were a couple of 3 axle Pinzgauers there, one with a super cool interior. That thing looked so smooth and sleek going across the grain field stubble it made me want one of those too!

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Volvos in the obstacle course they had constructed. (Actually I don't think I have any Volvo pics at all.) I had two cameras ready to go, one with 2 batteries and another with only one. In the chaos of packing, I only got the camera with one battery loaded. I didn't go on the Friday trail ride and the battery gave out Saturday before the other Volvos made it out to the obstacle course. Hopefully some of the pictures that other people took will show up somewhere.

I don't know when they set the schedule (assuming there will be another), but its a fun event to attend if you can. There were people from a number of states and Canada as well.

There was lots of one and two wheels in the air action, especially by the Pinzgauers, but watching 4 or 5 (more?) ton Mogs come out of the obstacle course pit with a tire in the air is impressive too. For their size, I was surprised how well they could be maneuvered. Some times, they did move some dirt with their bumpers though (really nice bottom-land topsoil by the way - wish I had that in my yard).

The Volvo did fine, but after one unintentional 3 wheel stunt that felt pretty close to going over, I didn't push too hard being sort of a rookie. Power steering would be nice though. I kept my thumbs out of the wheel spokes and had no incidents there, but it wants to spin pretty wild at times.
Alan
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Roy,
Do you have a timetable set for your North American tour? We would be more than happy to have you demo your nArrow at Northwest MogFest 2006 august 17th-20th. Every year, someone shows up with a new "weird" vehicle. This year, it was a three wheeled mill cart powered by a Lister 2-cyl air cooled diesel through a three speed tranmission and steered with handlebars.

Any idea of suggested retail price for teh units coming to the US? Are you working up a NA dealer network?

Let us know if we can be of help. Safe travels.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
http://www.volvo4x4.com
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Folks,
Alan is being very modest. Photos of NWMF05 and the Volvo involvement can be seen at:

http://www.northwestmogfest.com/past_events/nwmf2005/

Click on "Pics from Mark Larson" and see Alan's truck in all its glory.

Alan, for a self-proclaimed novice, you are a very fast and capable learner.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
http://www.volvo4x4.com
Roy Gardiner

nArrow in the USA

Post by Roy Gardiner »

Thanks Jim, that's very kind of you.

No timetable yet as we're pre-occupied with launching in UK right now.

Certainly the plan is to see as many of my friends on the Yahoo lists
(Feet Forward and Tilting) who have helped with nArrow development over the last 3 years, as we can whilst over there - as well as new friends on this list too now it seems!.

Will let you know as soon as the trip is scheduled.

Roy
rickardp

Swedish

Post by rickardp »

I do speak/read swedish and can translate, but generally the best site for finding out when there are batches being sold out as surplus is this link http://www.fmv.se/WmTemplates/Page.aspx?id=850
and it's even in English ;)

Looks like they are dismantling the military in Sweden.

EDIT: I answered someones post and now I can't even find it here.
sorry if I'm rambling
Bought myself a Range Rover, got tired and got me a C303 so I can drive and not repair all the time. (But that V8 sure sounds nice)
BERT

Re: Swedish

Post by BERT »

rickardp wrote:Looks like they are dismantling the military in Sweden.
Cool site! Looks like they have a few 712's left to sell! :D

Bert
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Bert look a little closer those aren't Pinzgauers 712's. I think they are called Scania the swiss army replaced the pinzgauer with them a while ago. They look a lot like the Volvo C303 to me.
Miles