Winch

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Winch

Post by michael mcauliffe »

I was wondering if you can still get the original Volvo C303 winch mechanism and Pulley setup as a spare part ?

Also, how good is the original winch compared to the new winches ?

I already have the pto available, so i thought i would use it.

Cheers

Mick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Winch

Post by geckoadventure »

michael mcauliffe wrote:I was wondering if you can still get the original Volvo C303 winch mechanism and Pulley setup as a spare part ?

Cheers

Mick
Defi e new haha. If u can keep/get all the parts use the original. Don't forget sone winch parts can be machined .
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I know of one 303 in the US that has the stock winch and saw maybe two while in Sweden. Finding one as a spare will be very very tough to do.

I personally wouldn't want one for recovery. They are nice for some situations but modern electric winches have all the advantages when it comes to off-roading related uses, including being far safer, stronger and more reliable. You can also run an electric winch even if your motor isn't running. This alone is a huge reason to have an electric. The first time you stall out in deep water, at a 70 degree angle, or roll your truck onto its side, you'll see the advantage of electrics quickly.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

wrangler_tj

Post by wrangler_tj »

michael mcauliffe wrote:I was wondering if you can still get the original Volvo C303 winch mechanism and Pulley setup as a spare part ?

Cheers

Mick
You can use the PTO to power a hydrolic winch.
If you plan on selling the PTO I'm very interested in it.
Parts aren't availble any more or you must be very lucky
if a TGB11 is being sold in parts.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

I personally wouldn't want one for recovery. They are nice for some situations but modern electric winches have all the advantages when it comes to off-roading related uses, including being far safer, stronger and more reliable. You can also run an electric winch even if your motor isn't running.

Thanks Vince, using it offroad is the long term goal. I know of some of the Competition guys here in Oz using plasma rope, i assume this has it's advantages in keeping the weight down ?

Cheer

Mick
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Thanks Vince, using it offroad is the long term goal. I know of some of the Competition guys here in Oz using plasma rope, i assume this has it's advantages in keeping the weight down ?

Cheer

Mick
Yes then absolutely go electric and sell off the PTO stuff to get rid of the weight. Use the money to get a Superwinch (my preference) or if you have money, look into Goodwinch in the UK.

The "Plasma" rope, made differently and known by different names by other companies, is a great option. It does reduce weight a little and is safer/easier to use. You do have to watch it closer to make sure it wont cut itself and make sure you use the recommended fairlead but overall I like it a lot. The strength claims are hard to believe but it is true.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Interesting

I prefer a PTO because of the LONG mudholes here and the Electric winches will and do overheat

My C304 has the factory PTO on it and its being kept and im putting a rear facing WARN M12,000 in ASAP which I had lying around spare.

I also have a modified 8274 on another vehicle and its about to get a PTO beside it and twin motors put onto the 8274 so it can pull harder and faster. Here two winches is not inusual on a vehicle (and both PRO's)

Michael if you have the PTO keep it and get it running. Put a electric on the front or rear as a backup.

Does anyone know how much cable they take?

If your going to go down the PLASMA path make sure you only put it on when you are goign to go OFFROAD as they do not like sunlight and it does not like rubbing on the ground/rocks etc it will snap at that point there are tricks to keeping plasma for not breaking in the jungle . Plasma is not suited to a factory PTO Volvo winch due to the dirt under the truck.

regards
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Hi Guys

it's great to get both views about the winches, the benefits of PTO or electric.

I suppose it will come down to cost and practicality when i'm ready to get one done (it will be a while as my project vehicle needs a lot of work). i need to get it up and running first.

Thanks again for the advice

Cheers

mick