Volvo C303 offroad capability

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Volvo C303 offroad capability

Post by michael mcauliffe »

Hi Folks

I was just wondering how capable the C303's are offroad ?

I have seen a few youtube videos of 303's in "muddy" terrain, and they seem to have struggled a little. One was being recovered by a 4x4 Quad Bike !!

I know it would depend on what tyres, tyre pressures, weight and the type of terrain. The thing i'm most concern about is how they go offroad.

My 303 cab chassis has a diesel motor, so i assume the torgue would be different to the petrol motor ?

Cheers

Mick
HafWit

Re: Volvo C303 offroad capability

Post by HafWit »

If you search on one of the major sites such as Google under the Videos section for "Volvo C303" or "Volvo TGB", you will find many videos that show these vehicles' capabilities. Most are from Scandinavia/Europe and are in other languages, but that doesn't matter for what you wish to see. There are a couple of Yahoo Groups dealing with these as well that will link to other resources.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
spandit

Post by spandit »

michael mcauliffe wrote: I have seen a few youtube videos of 303's in "muddy" terrain, and they seem to have struggled a little. One was being recovered by a 4x4 Quad Bike !!
You could recover a Pinz/Volvo/Land Rover with virtually any vehicle as long as that vehicle is on a surface that affords reasonable grip - doesn't mean the recovery vehicle would have made it through unscathed in the first place!

Another thing to remember is that many people drive these sorts of trucks to try and get stuck so they can practice recovery techniques. A video of someone driving along a flat road isn't very interesting
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

If you search on one of the major sites such as Google under the Videos section for "Volvo C303" or "Volvo TGB", you will find many videos that show these vehicles' capabilities. Most are from Scandinavia/Europe and are in other languages, but that doesn't matter for what you wish to see. There are a couple of Yahoo Groups dealing with these as well that will link to other resources.
I have seen some videos of them in different types of terrain and running different set-ups and have to admit, the ones i've seen were capable. I find this forum is one of the best for advice and information.
You could recover a Pinz/Volvo/Land Rover with virtually any vehicle as long as that vehicle is on a surface that affords reasonable grip - doesn't mean the recovery vehicle would have made it through unscathed in the first place!

Another thing to remember is that many people drive these sorts of trucks to try and get stuck so they can practice recovery techniques. A video of someone driving along a flat road isn't very interesting
I do like the idea of getting into a bit more challenging terrain (i'm more into touring) !!

Although i've had my fair share of recovering "bogged" people myself, it would be good to do a self recovery every now and again to keep up the skill levels (i think a winch is on the shopping list).

Cheers - Mick
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

My complaint was that the low range was not low enough. Steep downhills went faster than desired sometimes.

Pringle
How would an ice-age end without global warming?