Buying a C304.

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Doccers

Buying a C304.

Post by Doccers »

Hello, Folks!

So after a year of researching Unimog's, Pinzgauers and Volvos, I decided to look at a C-304 (TGB-13 Mortar carrier version), and managed to find one in the US and make a deposit on it.

I have a few questions for those who may be more experienced than I in this, #1 being, does anyone reccomend a shipping service for me to get it here? The truck is in California, and I'm in Colorado. It's not presently drivable due to some engine issues.

Second, I've been able to find quite a bit of information about parts, but one thing that is eluding me is Wheels/Rims. I know it's a 16", 7.5" wide 8 bolt rim pattern, does anyone know if this is a standard wheel/rim that I'm not familiar with, or is it a specialty rim just for the TGB series? I'd like to get a second set of wheels so I can put on smaller tires to get the thing into my garage, it's currently sitting on 38" Michelins.

Thank you very much, browsing and skimming this forum over the last several months has been an absolute gold mine of information not found anywhere else. :)
HafWit

Re: Buying a C304.

Post by HafWit »

If you are in Colorado, you might talk to Dennis at Linden Engineering. He knows a great deal about military Volvos and probably either has the parts you are looking for or can point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

welcome to the C30* club - im sure you are going to be shocked by the vehicles capabilities. Does it come with PTO etc?

I would be surprised but I think the wheel studs will be standard Volvo TRUCK size
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Arrived today. :)
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

Wow that's a clean rig what size tires are does?
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Sweet!
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

awesome dude - does it have the stock engine also. Video of that jaloppy please.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

38" Michelins, stock engine, rear main seal is leaking oil onto the clutch, so the clutch slips a little, need to replace that seal. (looking through the manuals trying to find the best way to remove the transmission from the engine to do that, anyone have experience with that that can give me a few pointers?)

Owner replaced the stock steering wheel with a custom solid aluminum one that's 2" lower to the floor, and replaced the seat with one that's 3" higher up.

I can't move my leg high enough to hit the brake pedal without twisting in the seat, so the steering wheel will be the first thing to be replaced.

No videos yet due to both issues, this is going to be a long project. :)

[edit] on that note, does anyone happen to know of a steering wheel adapter that would work with the C303 series? I'm coming up a bit short trying to find one, I've seen one who installed a MOMO quick disconnect, but I'm not sure which adapter he used, or if he replaced the entire steering column...
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Id consider changing your tires out to 315/75's. Those are way too big, heavy and very uncomfortable. Also, despite the looks, are terrible off-road tires.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Doccers

Post by Doccers »

These are just the tires that came on it, I am going to have to replace them, they're cracked and pretty much dryrotted, I'm rather amazed they still hold air.

However before I do *ANYTHING*, I need to replace the steering wheel, I literally cannot drive the thing with the current custom wheel the last owner made and installed on it, and I'm still out of luck finding any wheel adapters or an original wheel to replace it with.

I may have to hack off the current wheel and use the hub as a base to build an adaptor on, which I'd hate to do, it doesn't seem safe. :(
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

any tire between 34.5 and 36" would be the best. I also notice tire pressure makes a big differnce to comfort - I have to run my tires are 28PSI as a nice mix of comfort and handling on the highway.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

YES, I *UNDERSTAND* about the TIRES.

However I cannot do dick until I get a *STEERING WHEEL*. Unfortunitely, nobody has a spare steering wheel, and nobody knows what type of adapter will fit.

My apologies for sounding a bit short, but I've been trying to track down a new wheel or an adapter for half a month now, and it seems all anyone can do is yell at me for having the wrong tires on it. I am going to replace the tires, I promise, Honest, Swear on it - but I can't do *ANYTHING* until I get a steering wheel.
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello
The list.
1.) Google Volvo C303 and contact everyone. Linden Engineering and Extreme 4x4 (both in CO) and the guy who does North West Mogfest (name escapes me). They may not have one for sale, but maybe for rent. Borrow it, make measurements and pics, and send it back with a twenty.
2.) Take pics and measurements and send the to Scott at EI or Jim L (frequently on this board). They may recognize and recommend.
3.) Try FMV4x4.com, they may have one for sale, but be prepared to pay.
4.)Making a hub may not be so bad. Thats what Grant would do for any car.
5.)Pull steering shaft and have one made
This board is a great resource, but you have to be patient, grateful, and creative. Good luck.
Damn. I wish I could afford a truck.
Pringle
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

rollingpinz wrote:Hello
The list.
1.) Google Volvo C303 and contact everyone. Linden Engineering and Extreme 4x4 (both in CO) and the guy who does North West Mogfest (name escapes me). They may not have one for sale, but maybe for rent. Borrow it, make measurements and pics, and send it back with a twenty.
2.) Take pics and measurements and send the to Scott at EI or Jim L (frequently on this board). They may recognize and recommend.
3.) Try FMV4x4.com, they may have one for sale, but be prepared to pay.
4.)Making a hub may not be so bad. Thats what Grant would do for any car.
5.)Pull steering shaft and have one made
This board is a great resource, but you have to be patient, grateful, and creative. Good luck.
Damn. I wish I could afford a truck.
Pringle
#1: Did last week, Extreme 4x4 is now closed, he doesn't do things anymore, No response yet from LinDen.
2: Taking measurements tomorrow.
3: already tried there too, none for sale. (Also tried http://tatanka.nu who purchased the rights and all spares for the C303 series from Volvo).
4: I have a full machine shop in my garage, but creating internal spline cuts is very difficult and not something I can do with a milling machine or lathe, you need an internal spline cutter and a hydraulic press to do so. and a custom spline cutter costs thousands.
5 may be the only option, splice in a shaft with a more standard spline size and count.

It's just a little ridiculous that I can't find so mundane a part as a steering wheel. I was prepared to fabricate a whole boatload of things for this project, but the one part I can't fabricate (internal spline cuts) is preventing me from even taking this out for a spin. It's been sitting in front of my house for half a month now, undrivable by anyone over 5 foot 8.

Frustrating as all get-out because a midget decided to butcher the stock steering wheel. :(
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

If you do have some trace of a steering wheel, why can't you use that to build off of? It has the hub, doesn't it?

I never needed to get into this issue so I dont know more about it but the wheel would not be made just for the 303. It could even be from the same company that built the Pinz wheel. The axles were built by the same guys who make them for Land Rover, and there are several other Land Rover compatible parts on it....

By the way, you should get different tires for that thing.

:lol:
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!