Paint job

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
bababiscuit
United States of America

Paint job

Post by bababiscuit »

This question is directed toward Vince, but anyone who wants to chime in is welcome of course...I have sanded down my TGB 11 and have gotten thru the bondo-like material that appears to have been applied beneath the Swedish camo paint to possibly even out any irregularities in the aluminum or possibly make touch up of the camo more simple when in service...body is rust free and I'm applying an epoxy primer prior to painting it...I have been told that due to the waviness of the aluminum, lighter colored paints will bring out less of the waves upon completion...that bondo-like stuff was a real bitch to remove as it really gummed up the sander...does anyone have any factual info on why that stuff was applied and is it a mistake to just go epoxy primer and paint on the aluminum?...thanks
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Paint job

Post by M Wehrman »

I used self etching primer and topped it with an eggshell acrylic enamel. Went military green,and it shows ALL the imperfections. Also the box metal expands and contracts with temp,so at times it has some real noticable woop-te-doos,lighter colors would mask that better along with a flatter tone. A lotta work ain't it! :shock: :lol:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

If your intent is to mask the irregularities of the surface, the best way to "hide" them is to use a camouflage or other multicolor paint scheme that avoids straight lines. I originally painted my truck flat military tan (khaki), but I didn't like how the irregularities showed through, so I went with my own desert camouflage pattern that IMHO looked better. The prior paint was a hideous blue with a white top like those FJ Cruisers that I consider visually excrementicious. That was the first thing I changed after acquiring it.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
bababiscuit
United States of America

Post by bababiscuit »

How are pinz bodies different when they are stripped?...less irregularities in the body?...seen a wide range of color schemes with the pinz...
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

We used chemical stripper to remove all that junk and got things down to bare metal on the few I had painted. You need to be very careful when sanding the alum sections; it is very easy to take too much off.

The aluminum (top and top-sides) needs an automotive grade self etching primer. (Don't bother with cheap spray paint or off-brand primer)

If you want a smooth 303, you may never be happy. The waves are just the nature of their design. If you are picking color based on avoiding seeing them, then white hides it best it seems. You want the least amount of "mirror" effect. Notice how easy it is to see yourself in a black car's finish.

The Pinz has far less real-estate on the sides and is much more structural/tighter in it's sheet-metal design than a 303. Or you could say that the Pinz is much more German-like in finish, where the Volvo is more British-ish!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

HafWit

Post by HafWit »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:...the Pinz is much more German-like in finish, where the Volvo is more British-ish!
Considering that I had to source a few replacement parts for my Volvo from various Landrover parts suppliers, the British connection makes sense. I have seen a few examples of Volvos that people have tried to gentrify such as a silver one in the southeast. The problem is that these were designed as military and utility vehicles where focus was entirely on function and not appearance. I very much like the appearance of the Volvo, but my wife and various other (especially female) critics have been less than kind in their words. For that reason, I don't think that the paint scheme will make much of a difference in gaining acceptance unless you go with pink camo :shock:

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
bababiscuit
United States of America

Post by bababiscuit »

thanks for the input...self etching primer, not epoxy primer, why?...Vince, were you unhappy with your red C303 appearance?...it looked great in the photos...as has been stated, these are what they are, military vehicles, so no use trying to paint them like zee german sports car...how does it go?..."lipstick on a pig"...I prefer darker colors, but I don't want to waste my time and money and come up with a laughable result...from the sounds of it, I have to go camo or light colored?
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

I like the concept of British Racing Green myself !!
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I think whatever color you choose, a flat or semi gloss paint will work better to cover up the irregularities than a gloss one. Just like Vince says, you want to minimize the mirror effect if this is your intent.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit