Maybe found a 303, but.....

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
sixbennetts

Maybe found a 303, but.....

Post by sixbennetts »

It's in San Diego, CA, and I'm in upstate NY. No budget for a plane ride, (still in the hospital right now anywayz!)

I need somebody in San Diego who might know these trucks enough to look at it for me.

Already made a post about it at ExPo. Asked Linus Tremaine, too, but he's almost 500 miles away.
Last edited by sixbennetts on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Maybe found a 303, but.....

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I'm a lot closer but its still quite a drive unfortunately; that highway flows like maple syrup most of the time. If I can come up with anyone even closer I'll pm you.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Thanks, Vince. If we can't find somebody, which do you think would be better, a Volvo car mechanic from the local dealership, or a mechanic from the nearest Volvo truck center?

Probably the truck mechanic, no?
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Honestly I wouldn't trust much a car mechanic says in this particular case. The 303's need someone who is looking for rust and specific wear issues just as much as general mechanical ones. Someone coming at one of these trucks for the first time won't have any frame of reference, and that's the biggest problem I think.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

*Update*

I was able to convince Jim LaGuardia from Goatwerks to take a good look at it on the 21st of January!

I believe I am in very good hands.

Thanks, Vince, and thanks Jim.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Carefull....I think Jim secretly loves Volvos and doesn't want to give them back! :roll: Just ask Greg! :lol: Jim has had quite the crash course in Volvo and has been all over Gregs',good call! Personally,the Volvo has a lot to offer in certain areas over a Pinz,enjoy!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

I can understand that.

My girlfriend found an 1111 a few blocks away from us, and it looks like it hasn't been run in a year or so. We're tempted to ask if it's for sale, to give the 304 a little brother. :D

BUY ALL THE VOLVOS.

Send help. Our checkbooks are crying out in agony.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Mark,
I suggested he try Jim, so there you are. Yes, Jim now has ample experience. I am told that my Volvo is once again in one piece and is undergoing final testing. I can't wait.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

When the're in one piece,ther're easier to tow! :lol: :lol: Geez,I'm such an arse. :oops: Really,congrats and look forward to some reports. What a great New Year's presant that would be! You might be ready for that door lock, if I can figure out where my wife put it.....
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Wow ur GF found a 1111 sounds like my now wife - if you don't buy that C304 i'm leaving you :P :P :P

Good luck with the 303 inspection and it passes and it finds a new home. They (PINZ'z and VOlvo's) need to be preserved, restored and driven (OFFROAD not highway queens :) )
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Thanks, guys. It really didn't take much Googling at all after you suggested Jim. He seems to be about my best bet in the area. Good to know he's on my side, AND he seems like a nice guy.

On another note, I and the Mrs. are going over to Vermont on Friday to visit with Hank Baer and his wife, a retired couple who own a 303! (No, he has no interest in selling, dern it!) I found his truck in Truck Trends online, looked him up in the White Pages, and called. He seemed delighted to find another enthusiast, and was more than willing to show me his Volvo!

Scroll down about half way:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/cons ... hotos.html
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

*Update*

WOW! That's what came to mind when I saw it.

First, I was just amazed at the stance of this things! The ground clearance is HUGE. The front end, the way it looks, damn thing wants to climb a big hill just sitting there, like the way some sports cars look like they're going 100 sitting still. There is NO mistaking this thing for anything other than a military design, no matter WHAT color you paint it.

Second, this damn thing is SOLID! Way more beefy than I thought they'd be, body-wise. This ain't no tin can. No rust on this one, either.

Third, I gotta find a way to move the seat back, I'm too big!
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

New seats are key for us tall guys. I caution you that you need something that has a low profile in order for it to fit. There are a few take-offs that might work if you want to check out the junkyards or you can go with one of the many racing/offroad/Jeep seats that are out there. I went with Corbeau since they had a seat with neoprene that should hold up for a long time even if it gets wet.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Yup, will do. But part of my problem is the seat needs to go back a little too. I folded the seatback forward and looked behind it. there's plenty of room to slide the seat back further, I just might have to do a little sheet metal banging to do so. Kinda like the guy did on the Trog firetruck build.

It looks like the seat slider rails sit in a small trough. I might consider just bolting the seat to the floor without a slider. I'm gonna be the driver.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Mine was mounted further back, but as I didn't do it, I don't recall how much room there was to do so. In the end, it made things much better. Thankfully it isn't so confined in the Volvo as in my other vehicle--the Steyr-Puch Haflinger. That one required a custom window and frame that were elongated vertically to be comfortable for my height.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit