Maybe found a 303, but.....

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
sixbennetts

Re: Maybe found a 303, but.....

Post by sixbennetts »

Yeah, I was reading about Trog at trog.us about how he did a little light tin knocking and was able to gain a few inches of seat slide. That confirms what I saw behind the seat in Hank's 303.

It looks like the seat slider sits in a formed trough, the kind they form into sheet metal for strength. Extending this trough backwards *should* yield a few inches. Only promlem will be seeing out the side window, but if I'm gonna have to get used to leaning forward to see stop lights, I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Talking with Chris at Vermont Unimogs via email, he can get them, AND he's gonna pass around pics and the link to my boat for a possible trade! It would be sweet if I didn't have to tow my boat to San Diego and drive my 303 back to Northeast NY!
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

You must be over 6'2" then be careful when you push the seat back you need leg room. ALso need to make sure you feet are on the FLOOR else you will get pins and needles in your feet etc . LOw base iS the only way to go. Damn left side must be different to right side for seat rails etc.
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Well, my first thought, without actually knowing where the through bolts are that attach the seat to the floor, was to lop off a few inches from the bottom seat frame at the back. Then, the seat back rail would have to be cut at the bottom so it sits on the sheet metal instead of the seat frame.

That *might* be all I'd need.
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

*Update*

The truck in San Diego was bought by somebody else.

:(

The search continues........
blackbird939

Post by blackbird939 »

sixbennetts wrote:*Update*

The truck in San Diego was bought by somebody else.

:(

The search continues........
SixBennetts... Sorry ... I bought it. :|
I've been hunting one of these for a while too. I'll post back here and let you know if you missed out or not. I sent the seller a video camera in early November and asked him to walk around for 15 minutes and give me the 'tour'. Sent a little flip camera and he did just that. Seems like it starts up, runs nice. No oil leaks, no rust. The mufflers are a little worn, but not too bad. Tires are really nice, VDO speedo hops around a bit. They are so hard to come by anymore, I just bit the bullet and went off of the video and testimony from the PO.

Don't be mad. If I croak I'll have my wife put it up here for sale.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

If you aren't settled on a C303, perhaps an earlier Volvo would work for you. There is one on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-VOL ... 2c622d3d2c

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
blackbird939

Post by blackbird939 »

HafWit wrote:If you aren't settled on a C303, perhaps an earlier Volvo would work for you. There is one on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-VOL ... 2c622d3d2c

Cheers,
Greg
That thing is BAD-A$$ !!!! No title is a problem for me, but how cool is that thing!?
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

If you are still looking for a C303 or something similar, there may be something you would like in the inventory at the following site:

http://www.raawfab.com/vehicle_sourcing/

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

hi greg, ya he checked with rawfab n they dont import anymore n dont have any trucks, but thanx! donny looked at the smaller ones and thinks theyr to small to do what we want, so i guess the bigger one is for us.

and blackbird, donny was more disapointed thn mad at u. its a free world n the buy it now was still open, so oh well. craig was the only owner in the country who was willing to trade his truck 4 our boat, thats all. now we gotta sell the boat b4 we can buy, thats all.

(they wake him up 2morrow, so wish us luck!)
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Well, I am back. Some advice: do NOT let your wife use your phone when you go in for surgery! My gosh, the girl contacted EVERYONE! (Bless her heart).

Blackbird, sincerely, good luck with your new truck. We look forward to lotsa pics, and really, no hard feelings friend.

Donny
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

That older Volvo C202 is back on ebay again if you weren't set on a C303.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Nah, Greg, I think the camper will be cramped enough made out of a 303, the 202 is just a little too small.

But thanks for the link, I appreciate it!
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

HafWit wrote:That older Volvo C202 is back on ebay again if you weren't set on a C303.

Cheers,
Greg
That one has a good bit of rot on it almost bought til I saw that and a bunch of stuff is just made to work rather than fixed and would need to be repaired before. You'd be better off looking on blocket.se (swedish craiglist)and importing it over would probably save you about 3K. There is a white TGB13 6x6 for sale in arizona for 16K I was looking at if that interest you pm me and I'll forward you the info.

Good luck with the search and your health.
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Well, there's no doubt a 6x6 would make a more spacious camper, but again, the 303 would be just right.

We went to Vermont a couple weeks ago and looked at a 303, and my wife's pretty confident she could drive it well enough to give me a break once in a while, but she saw some pics of the 6x6 and said no way.

This porridge is too hot, but this porridge is too cold.........

But thanks for the well wishes!