Crazy ? TGBII odyssey planned

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
blackbird939

Crazy ? TGBII odyssey planned

Post by blackbird939 »

Group,

This is my first post. I JUST bought a TGBII. Another member had his eye on it too. Sorry 'bout that.

It's a '75 with 50K miles. No rust(that I can see), relocated fuel filler(Jeep). 24Volt work light, Backup camera. A couple of extras. The problem is that I am in Orlando the Volvo: San Diego. It's about $1/mile to ship it. I have been giving serious consideration to flying out with my 13 year old boy and DRIVING it the 2500 miles home! I would plan on 60mph, 4-10/hr days. Since I have never been in one or ever SEEN one, am I insane for attempting such an odyssey? I've never seen those southern states and I thought it'd be a character builder for the boy. But am I nuts? Just ship and build character some other way?

Michael
NoahDL88

Re: Crazy ? TGBII odyssey planned

Post by NoahDL88 »

If I had the vacation time I'd do that in a heartbeat, shoot, I don't have the vacation time, but I still might, you need a driver :D
1972 710K
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

It could be fun, but it could be a very expensive trip. Top cruising speed is about 58mph but that is some high rpm's even at that point. Hopefully it has newer tires on it. If not, I'd highly recommend (can I insist??) buying some 315/75's before you leave. The military tires will not work on that trip and would be dangerous, not to mention louder than hell and will affect handling, and if it rains, good luck.

The noise levels will really take a toll after a few hours so you must get some good quality ear plugs for both of you. Figure on about 11 MPG, or something close to that. You'd also need a good hour+ to check all fluid levels before leaving: each portal housing, diffs, trans, transfer, engine, each carb (which uses a little ATF fluid). And make sure your brakes are all perfectly working. Carry extra hoses, fluids, rags, small tool kit, flashlight, flares, a jack large enough to change a tire with, etc.. You also have to figure on more hotel stops than with a normal car since it will take longer, insurance and tags ahead of time can be frustrating too.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Vince nailed this. It's going to be very noisy, and slow going. One extra thing if I may recommend is to doublecheck the vacuum lines as well. The lockers on the front and rear diffs are vacuum controlled, and if they lose vacuum, they go into locked mode. Very annoying to deal with on a long on-pavement trip, and you don't want to damage them if possible. :)
blackbird939

Post by blackbird939 »

Vince killed it for me.. I think I will ship. I was going to change the oil in the parking lot somewhere along the way. I can't carry all that. 58 is pretty slow for modern highway. If I could take 7 days off to get it home, I would - but now your talking $700 in hotels unless you can cope with roach-motels with REAL bedbugs.

Thanks Vince. My son wants to go SOOO bad but it can't be dangerous and tedious. We'll take the comfy Golf TDI across country. 53MPG on the highway @60MPH
blackbird939

Post by blackbird939 »

OK.. next question... can anybody recommend a shipper? I have a ONE-day window for pickup :shock:
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

blackbird939 wrote:OK.. next question... can anybody recommend a shipper? I have a ONE-day window for pickup :shock:
When I get home I can reccomend the gentleman that shipped mine, however he's based in oklahoma and does regular runs between CA and OK, I just happened to be on the way (Colorado). I'm not sure if he does florida runs but you can certainly asked. He moved my TGB-13 for me without any problems and was very communicative during the process. Though arraging the one-day pickup thing may be problematic, Is the seller setting one specific date, or is he saying he can only take one day off to stay home to prepare for onloading?
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Why is he only giving you a 1 day window?

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
blackbird939

Post by blackbird939 »

mopar wrote:Why is he only giving you a 1 day window?
He lives 200 miles north of the hangar where the TGB lives. He travels on business often. This is not the ONLY window, but it's my best shot for this month.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

If the vehicle is truly in good shape and can sustain a long trip like that without major service, then you could do that trip and have a great time. I did the 10 freeway from Santa Monica to Florida many years ago in a junker that got me there alive. It was a little faster than your Volvo, but not by much. I didn't have the funds then to go to any hotels, so it was camping at wherever we ended up at dusk each day. We were also fishing and exploring as we went, so we took 10 days to get there, but it was a very memorable adventure. The major concern I would have in doing such a trip is the potential for a serious breakdown and being stranded without easy parts availability. Before going on a long trip for the first time, I would rather have somebody who knows these vehicles well like Vince/Dennis/Jim go over it carefully to correct any issues that your vehicle may have and that may have been overlooked, ignored, or even worse--repaired by Mickey Mouse, and/or repaired using Mickey Mouse parts. I could write a book about such things and Jim has probably exhausted every expletive in the English language and perhaps other languages as well dealing with this. Thankfully, after Jim's persistence there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully you will not go through a similar ordeal.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
blackbird939

Post by blackbird939 »

I've decided to ship it.. Makes me a bit sad, because I rarely see opportunities for adventure these days, but I can't risk my son's life racing this thing home @ high rpms. Besides, what can be seen on a highway is not what I call high adventure. It's like 10,000 McDonalds, Super8 motels and Dairy Queens. Then 10K Waffle Houses when you near the south.

I want to go over the whole vehicle with my own intincts. Anything I find I will post here for the experts.
Thanks for all of the help so far!