Tgb tires and tire size

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
sixbennetts

Tgb tires and tire size

Post by sixbennetts »

Hey Folks,

I'd like to get everybody's opinions about tire size, brand, and their affects of usage and performance.

Vince has been great in advising me, via pm, about the best size we need for our trucks, (315/75R16 commercially available off road tires), but I'd like to hear other's experiences as well.

Some other sizes and brands I'm considering:

9.00R16 Michelin XS sand tires.

These are the tires that ClassicUnimogs usually ship on Tgb's. Hard to find now in the states, but Vrakking-Tires in the Netherlands can get both used and new ones.

325/85R16 Michelin XML.

Commonly known as LAV tires. Available right now on the surplus market, but they are 38.5" tall actual, and over a foot wide, so probably too big. I imagine top end would suffer greatly, causing frequent downshifts on even slight hills. Lotsa rubbing too, at full lock and full articulation. BUT, with a truck as light as a Tgb, they'd probably outlast the truck!

So, can you folks tell me your tire size stories, how tall/wide, and what you thought of them?

I'm aware of the stock tires, Goodyear MT's, Trelleborg, etc., but I'd like to hear stories of other brands, especially the Michelins, and their variations.
mopar
United States of America

Re: Tgb tires and tire size

Post by mopar »

This is what my truck has on it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280853675345
Last edited by mopar on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

That actually looks a lot like the Michelin XML tread pattern. Make sure you give us a performance report about them when you get your 11/11.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Mine is running 315 KM2's. Smooth riding,great support thru Discount Tire.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Anything over a 35", or maybe 36" in some cases, causes a lot of gearing losses and makes driving a real pain, on and off the road, with lots of down-shifting and no more effective low/crawl. Top gear is only effective with full throttle on level or down-hill roads. It also causes your motor to work very hard (carbs fully dumping gas all the time with no vacuum left) and the bad MPG turns into really bad MPG. Brakes are also over-worked.

Just to note: a 35x12.50 is the same as a 315/75.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Thanks for the input, guys. 36" is the tallest we can go without suffering then. Good to know.

12.50" wide is about the widest, right? I like narrow myself.
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Hey Vince (or anyone else who has run the big Michelins), just wondering what the story is with the brakes. Reason for asking is that I have as set of the 325/85R16 at home and I was considering putting them on my C303 when I get it, repowering it so gearing isn't such an issue, but would really like to run the taller tyres if braking was not tooooo much of an issue.
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

They also work out to be almost 13" wide, so I imagine you'd also need costom rims with deeper offset.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I usually back up and ask why someone wants to run something taller than a 35" on a 303? The clearance is massive with stock sizes as-is. More tire height won't do a thing for off-road ability, especially when you consider the massive drop in reliability and loss in control.

MPG is a big deal for me too. More power and more tire on a flat-front box like a 303 will get you down under 10mpg easily.

The military Michelins are horrible off-road tires in my opinion. No flex in the sidewalls or tread and still too tall no matter how much power you have. A 303 has diffs, transmission, transfer-case, portals/bearings and axle shafts of a given strength, meant for a lower power 6cyl.. The brakes are strong but not meant for tires of that weight and leverage. Consider the increase in rolling inertia (massive weight) alone. Did you know those things are over 110lbs each? (Compare that to about 65lbs for a 315/85). So that's 440 lbs, plus wheel weight, at 55mph and you need to brake them with (1-ton) drum-brakes built in the 1970's? Those tires are made for larger mil. trucks with massive loads, not a 6000lb medium duty 4x4. Check the weight rating on them.

I'm just curious... how are you planning to re-power a 303? Lots of very good mechanics and fabricators have tried and I have never seen one good example, even in Sweden where its been going on for many years. You end up breaking things and ruining the overall design in ways people don't plan for. Besides the B30 injection mods like Jim was doing, I'd bet you anyone will regret dropping something else in there unless it is literally engineered from the ground up. That costs real money, massive time and commitment. It would be cool though, if done right. Hopefully someone will figure it out. If I win the lotto, its my first project for sure.

Forget all this and simply try to steer a 303 with taller tires. It wont work out too well for anyone short of Popeye and if off-road, even he won't be able to pull it off.

Hey, you asked! ;)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Hey Vince, vehicle in question is actually the Aussie spec 4x4 C304 ( marketed simply as "C3"). 8" longer wheelbase than C303, upgraded GVM (8800lb). Yes, engineering it from the ground up, stretching the chassis to relocate the crossmember behind the transfer case to fit a Toyota 14b-t & H50S 10 speed trans in front of a Landcruiser transfer case. Gives a 0.63:1 overdrive ratio. Sorry for the thread hijack.
How common are the Q78 tyres? Can't seem to get them "down under".
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Figure this is as good a place to ask as any; does anyone know of a source for the volvo 8 lug 222mm offset wheels?
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Doccers wrote:Figure this is as good a place to ask as any; does anyone know of a source for the volvo 8 lug 222mm offset wheels?
I probably have a set getting them from Malaysia to OZ would be a pain.

I can also give you a number to ring he has a volvo 6x6 under restoration over there.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Tires

I am looking at a set of

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-T ... k-SUV.aspx

these ones MT-754 Buckshot Mudder

specifically this tire with a diamemter of 34.5"

TL30300000 LT315/75R16 121Q 8 OWL 34.5 12.80 50 3,195 /8.50/ 20/32
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Blackbird, you have the Michelin XS 9.00R16 on your truck, don't you? Those are the lightest of all the military Michelins, IIRC.

What do you think of them?