I think I've found my new toy!! Now to spend $$$$

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
rdover

I think I've found my new toy!! Now to spend $$$$

Post by rdover »

I've found my next venture but need to get some background info.

Can I change a C303's brakes to discs and if so how and where do I get the parts.

Secondly what kind of engines will fit and do you ahev to change the gearbox as well.
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

For the brakes and SS tubing you may want to check here: http://www.classictube.com/
Jürgen
DB3TB
'75 CH 710M (avatar as it is today)

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Windows and Gates?

http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org
http://www.pinzi.us
Wutizit

Post by Wutizit »

rdover,

Why do you want to change the brakes to disk? The stock drum setup works very well (or at least it has for me). In fact, of all the vehicles I've ever owned, the only brakes I've ever had problems with were disk.

BTW, if you do change over to disk, be aware that there is a system on the Volvo C303- and I assume other model military Volvos as well- that automatically engages the 4WD solenoids when you push hard on the brake pedal. It's designed to force the rear wheels to turn at the same speed as the front wheels in a panic stop, reducing the possibility of locking up the rear end and going into a skid. I don't know whether or not that system will work properly with disk brakes- you may have to disable it, but if that's the case, you might well be better off keeping the stock drum brakes to retain that feature.

I usually drive my C303 a couple of times a week (or more), and I've been in situations where I had to really mash on that brake pedal in traffic- and I can tell you first hand that it works. The truck comes to a stop rapidly (assuming the brakes are adjusted properly and you don't have any leaking seals or anything). I can't tell you how many times people have cut right in front of me on the highway only to slam on their brakes for a damn traffic light that JUST turned yellow.

Anyway, that's just my two cents' worth.

-Scott
rdover

Post by rdover »

Thansk for that Scott.
In the UK we spend a large amount of our off road time knee deep in mud, and locally the mud is very sandy. As a result the brakes tend to be rather ineffective after a days playing adn requires the drums removed and cleaned out.

My Blitz4x4 (www.blitz4x4.org.uk) has disc brakes all round and whilst it eats rear brake pads it only takes 10 minutes to repace tehm at a cost of about $10.

I'm collecting my thoughts and seeing what mods are most popular and most advantageous and then taking ti from there. Please have a look at my website and you'll see how I approach things.

1. make sure the basic vehicle is 100% sorted and reliable
2. get into a regular and effective maintenance schedule
3. get out there and have fun
4. when somehting breaks for the 3rd time figure out how to fix it so it doesn't break again.
5. get out and play more
6. look for toys
7, keep playing
8. Takes friends and family out playing with you!