Tilt steering box forward?

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
sixbennetts

Tilt steering box forward?

Post by sixbennetts »

OK, I've Googled up all I can about adding tilt steering. Obviously it would involve cutting the steering shaft in some way, installing a u-joint in the shaft, then bracing the upper shaft to the dash with a homemade bracket.

But, is it possible to rotate the steering box forward at it's mounting place to the frame? It's impossible to find good images of this junction. It wouldn't take much forward rotation at all to make a HUGE difference in wheel position. Obviously it would be a permanent adjustment, but for you BIG guys, and you TALL guys, and BIG/TALL guys like me, it might make a huge difference.

I know the dash bracket that holds the shaft would have to be modified/replaced, and the floorpan would also have to be modded, but how would it affect front-end geometry\steering?

How feasible is this mod?
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Tilt steering box forward?

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Sorry but I dont think it is feasible at all. You have a lot of issues popping up here; one of them, and the biggest, being safety. Another is the steering wheel size and position, which is needed unless you want to go with power steering which is a whole other can of worm$. Combine the two and you are talking a major engineering and price mess.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Steering wheel size wouldn't be an issue at all. Looks like there's a good 10" between the steering wheel and the windshield, Vince.

I just need to know how the steering box attaches to the frame, and if there's any way to tweak that.

As long as the steering box is as secure as stock, there shouldn't be anything unsafe about it.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Perhaps you could elongate the mounting holes in the frame. If they are sleeved inside the box it may not be a doable option.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

sixbennetts wrote:Steering wheel size wouldn't be an issue at all. Looks like there's a good 10" between the steering wheel and the windshield, Vince.

I just need to know how the steering box attaches to the frame, and if there's any way to tweak that.

As long as the steering box is as secure as stock, there shouldn't be anything unsafe about it.

......but think of the geometry change to the pitman from the steering box yoke......change the geometry of a hard-connection steering group for ergonomics above and you may be fabbing up brand spankin' new steering parts for you and the rest of the masses!

But then again, I don't ride motorcycles that I'm too big for either.....hmmm. :idea:
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Yup, pitman arm angle is another thing to consider.

Having never actually seen how the steering box attaches, I can't really say, but it *might* be an easy way to get a little more room in there.

Fabbing a new bracket for the dash mount and some sheet metal work on the floor would be the easy part, as well as relocating the turn signal wiring harness a little.
Vince is right about geometry, though, so te pitman arm *might* have to be bent, depending on how much play there is at the end joint.
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

Isn't the pitman forged? No bending there.

Might be easier to have your steering wheel stripped, dished and re-wrapped.

......or consider how much weight you might have to shed to make the general fit more accessible. I know two guys up here that drive in the 303 cabs and each stands around 6'2"- 6'4" and both are an easy 260lbs.....maybe quite a few pounds heavier for one. I also know my neighbor can fit behind those wheels and he's a short, portly guy; stout like a fireplug and fits fine. How much space do you need?
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

I'm 6'4", 300 with a big belly. I'll wait 'til the truck comes and try moving the seat back first, just thinking out loud, really.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

sixbennetts wrote:I'm 6'4", 300 with a big belly. I'll wait 'til the truck comes and try moving the seat back first, just thinking out loud, really.
You shouldn't have too much trouble, there is a ton of space in the volvo cab. :)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I mentioned space restrictions because I thought you were talking about an angle change as well. It's still a hell of a lot of work ...more than it looks to get right.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!