Boots

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
thedoeges

Re: Boots

Post by thedoeges »

All right, I went Advanced Auto Parts, and they rent out a steering linkage puller for free. That was one of the special tools I needed. Next I went to NAPA with one of the bolts that connects the wheel carrier to the axle. Once I matched the tread, I purchased two grade five long bolts with the same tread, cut of the end and voila, I now had my two guidance pins. Last was a PVC pipe coupling adapter from the Home Depot to drive down the new boot into its seat. I cleaned up the connecting surfaces of the wheel carrier and axle housing and put a bead of silicone gasket on. Following the service manual step by step is straight forward. It's about a three hour repair.
Swoop 71

Post by Swoop 71 »

Hi I am new to this, but have a question please. My 303 seems to be loosing oil from front diff to wheel hub, I guess there must be a seal leak ? Is the seal part of the CV boot or is there a separate seal..

Thank
You
thedoeges

Post by thedoeges »

Hello,
If the oil leaks from the area in front of your wheel carrier where the boot is, its the boot. There is no additional seal. The boot has somewhat of a seal, a metal lip. Once you tap it into it's place, the metal will expand and seal everything of. I am not a mechanic, but got it done without any problems in my garage. The instruction on how to get it done can be found in the military repair manuals, found online under www.c303.de.

Marcus