Diesel engine for c303

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
johannestorpe

Diesel engine for c303

Post by johannestorpe »

Hi everyone,

I was recomented to go here by by danish friend and c303 owner Per.
This is truely a great forum!

I would like to hear if any of you have tried to replace the original B30 engine with a Diesel?

I know that a Nissan Patrol 3.3 fits, but what about a Mercedes, Iveco, Toyota ect...

Waiting with exitement!

Happy new year!

Johannes
303 - Thank you!
Wutizit

Post by Wutizit »

Hi Johannes,

You know, I've had the same thought. But the more I think about it, the less it seems like a good idea. Since diesels have different power curves, you probably need to also go with a different transmission- not just a different engine. Also, the rest of the running gear was designed specifically for that gasoline engine, with the specifications of that engine in mind (torque, horsepower, etc.). Putting in a power plant with more torque and/or horsepower may indeed cause serious damage to other parts of the truck.

Considering the cost of such a swap, and the risks involved, I doubt that making such a transformation without beefing up every other component (and we're back to cost again) would really be worth the trouble. I think if I were going to put some serious money and effort into some sort of power plant upgrade, I'd have to also consider converting over to something really interesting like an electric hybrid or something of the sort. Maybe replace the engine with an electric motor and use a fuel cell to power it. It would be quieter, probably more efficient, and certainly cleaner for the environment.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that Linden Engineering has done diesel swaps, but I don't know how they turned out. Maybe it works fine- maybe the gearing and all will handle the extra stress. Maybe not. Personally I think I'll stick with gasoline until I can come up with something like a viable electric conversion (or until the engine melts down, which may be never).

Just my two cents' worth. :wink:

-Scott
johannestorpe

Post by johannestorpe »

Wutizit wrote:Hi Johannes,

You know, I've had the same thought. But the more I think about it, the less it seems like a good idea. Since diesels have different power curves, you probably need to also go with a different transmission- not just a different engine. Also, the rest of the running gear was designed specifically for that gasoline engine, with the specifications of that engine in mind (torque, horsepower, etc.). Putting in a power plant with more torque and/or horsepower may indeed cause serious damage to other parts of the truck.

Considering the cost of such a swap, and the risks involved, I doubt that making such a transformation without beefing up every other component (and we're back to cost again) would really be worth the trouble. I think if I were going to put some serious money and effort into some sort of power plant upgrade, I'd have to also consider converting over to something really interesting like an electric hybrid or something of the sort. Maybe replace the engine with an electric motor and use a fuel cell to power it. It would be quieter, probably more efficient, and certainly cleaner for the environment.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that Linden Engineering has done diesel swaps, but I don't know how they turned out. Maybe it works fine- maybe the gearing and all will handle the extra stress. Maybe not. Personally I think I'll stick with gasoline until I can come up with something like a viable electric conversion (or until the engine melts down, which may be never).

Just my two cents' worth. :wink:

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank's a lot for you quick reply.
My friend Per has already done it with a 3.3 liter Nissan Patrol engine with great succes. He is using the old gearbox with a special machined adaptor-plate to fit them together. He has lost some top speed, but this machine is so damn' slow anyway... :-)

Maybe you could consitter that option...?

It was most a question if anyone tried with a stronger engine, the Nissan is approx. 90 (diesel)HP with low revs.

Maybe Mercedes, Iveco or even Volvo has made one that could fit?
More power is always welcome ;o)

Best
Johannes
303 - Thank you!
Wutizit

Post by Wutizit »

Johannes,

Well, I suppose that as long as you don't significantly exceed the original engine's torque or horsepower with the new engine, there should be no real reason why you couldn't do the swap (not sure why you'd want to, but we all have our own reasons for doing things). I don't know whether or not it would fit (or if it would be a good match), but that new Volkswagen TDI diesel engine is supposed to be one nice motor- and thrifty on fuel, too.

One thing you might want to consider is making sure the fuel tank, etc. isn't galvanized on the inside (if it is, I'd use one of the good fuel tank coatings when you make the swap). For whatever reason, diesel fuel will strip the zinc galvanizing off and re-deposit it in the injector nozzles. I used to have a 1994 Ford F-250HD with the 7.3L Power Stroke TDI V-8 diesel engine, and I recall reading about how important it was not to put diesel fuel in galvanized containers for that very reason. Odd how diesel fuel will do this when apparently gasoline won't.

-Scott
turtle

Post by turtle »

I know of some portal axles swapped into a FJ55 LandCruiser, and he's had no problems with power mismatch, with the original Toyota 2F gas engine. I've also seen those axles in a late model Volvo V70? Cross-Country. That one would certainly have more power than a B30.
Personally if I could get my hands on a Laplander, I'd look for a Toyota 13bt 4-cylinder turbo diesel, H55f 5 speed with the 4.843 first gear, and an overdrive, an Advance Adaptors Orion 4:1 transfercase. You would have more power and torque than the B30, and better gearing in the transmission, and transfer. As for too much power, it's all in the application. As diesels generally make thier power at much lower rpms, you wouldn't have to rev the motor as much to overcome any given obstacle. That means you can attack obstacles at lower speeds, and lower speeds means less stress most of the time. Unless it's a particularly difficult obstacle, in which case, it doesn't matter what power/equipment combination you have, there is always a danger of breaking parts.
A friend of mine broke a steering arm on the unimog axles under his BJ60 Landcruiser, he was going slow, wasn't under alot of power, but he broke through some ice and that was it.

Volvo Puritanism aside, if you have the skills and want to do a swap like this, the worst that can happen is you learn something new, you create something strange, unique, and yours, and you have some fun along the way.

If you agree, disagree, that's cool!
If you want to talk more about it, you can get me at,
79turtle@telus.net

Cheers
C!