Started video documentation for the C303 restoration!

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
MadMax

Started video documentation for the C303 restoration!

Post by MadMax »

Finally got around to beginning my restoration of the C303, my Zombie Apocalypse Response Vehicle. I will be documenting the project with videos on my youtube channel. The first few videos are up! Please consider that I have never done restoration of a vehicle, never owned a 4x4, never welded or used heavy shop equipment or recorded anything with video. SO, let the pain begin!

These first few videos are an intro to my C303, and then I begin using and reviewing the Multiplaz 3500, the welder/plasma cutting tool I mentioned in an earlier post. Had a few folks ask to see how this thing worked, so Im posting that here also. I will post more as I get more done and (hopefully) get better at using it. Initially I am using it to weld the old seat brackets to accomodate the new seats.

the 4 vids are on my youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnZGfqC ... sults_main
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Started video documentation for the C303 restoration!

Post by M Wehrman »

If you need more seat brackets,just in case,drop me a note! OR maybe a engine cover lid,ft bumper,switches,alternator(s) door upper and lower,heater core,etc. Some things I may not know I have until someone ask's. :lol: Krap,wrong section to be fishing for buyers! I will accept all admonishment from Vince... :( But fact of the matter is I don't type very fast and it took me a long time to do this, add a sprinkle of ADD,and I'm not retreating now! :wink: I'm kinda tired,goodnight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
nd.. ...Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Excellent! I will be in touch via PM once I figure out what I want to get from you, will need some time to figure out what I can afford, though initially my brain says GET ALL TEH THINGS! Hopefully I will not screw up the seat brackets, but no telling how it will go. I will be in touch!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I spent 2 yrs building mine,Greg same amount of time getting his back,patience comes naturally to our breed! No rush.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I saw the videos and think you started out with a very nice vehicle to begin with. Now that my main mechanical issues have been resolved, I need to consider how I want to redo the interior of my truck. If you would be so kind as to post pictures or a video showing what was done to yours, that would be appreciated. The same request goes out to anyone else who has replaced the interior pegboard with something else.

Thanks,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Max I really appreciate that you are taking the time to document your restoration. I am very interested in the multiplaz and your mastering its use as you progress with the work at hand. I look forward to your future videos and wish you much luck with your vehicle.. :D
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

UPDATE: Well, I got the brackets cut and welded using the multiplaz thingy. I cut flush the old flanges that the seat backs mounted to, cut and welded a 1/8" bar across the width, then plasma cut mounting holes at the four corners. After a bit of grinding and cleaning with the die grinder, I fitted the brackets to the new seats, managed to install the new seats using the old brackets (now repurposed) and the fit is AMAZING! The height and width is perfect, and the additional bolster support is really nice. By using the old brackets I left myself about an inch or so for the suspension webbing/springs of the seats to travel. Im so happy to have new comfy seats and they look great in there. Im exhausted and need a drink, but will get some pics/vids posted soon showing them.

I did have one issue with the seat belt coils; The reclining lever on the new seat hit the coil (the part where the belt coils up inside the plastic housing). So, I just switched the mounting position for the coil housing and the belt end mount, putting the coil to the back, and it all fit well, works fine. The seats are much more comfortable and the height is only about an inch higher than the stock was, so Im a very happy camper. :)

Driving it from Gig Harbor down to Shelton, WA tomorrow, cant wait!

I am really happy and quite a bit surprised at how quickly I was able to adapt to using the multiplaz, that thing is money well spent, IMHO. It welded well, cut very fast and was very easy to learn with. Its sitting in the back of the truck now, where I will keep it in case something breaks while Im out in the wilds.

Excelsior!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Added the next video in the restoration of the C303, showing the new seat install and removal of the old interior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jvDMb9KVw

Getting cold here!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

New videos on the C303: Removing the old headlamps and installing the new LED headlamps from Trucklite, then testing them. Its two parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv6NlFu_UIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lniZU-ochG0

This is not advanced stuff, for certain, but its new for me and perhaps others out there. Apologies to the professionals who will notice my mistakes and laugh loudly. In the end, the lamps are in and they work. :) It will get more advanced; Hopefully my skill will as well, but thats part of my reason for documenting this process, so I can share my mistakes too and perhaps others can learn from them.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Max,
I am curious how you like the LED lights. The original 24V incandescent lights are very dim on my vehicle and will need replacing. There are surplus 24V LED headlights from the military that are a multi-LED light and are available for about $100 each. The lights you chose go for a little more than double that. My question is, have you tried your lights at night enough to be able to comment on the good/bad features so I can make an informed decision in my purchase?

I didn't get the headlight wipers with mine, but rather I have 24V powerlet sockets nearby for clip-on accessories. I suspect these were for convoy lights or something like that.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

If you can get a cheaper LED, such as the ones you mentioned, I would consider that. I chose these based on what seemed to be the best rated in various offroad forums and youtube video comparisons, etc. but they are not necessarily the best. They do what I wanted them to do, and I definately think they are rock solid. I like the split reflector on them a lot, giving me the option not to blind the hell out of other drivers. The ones I have seen that are full LED tended to be (in my opinion) extremely bright. In the end I would say go based on your budget. I went for the best ones I could find without a consideration for price. In the small bit of driving I have done with them, I am very pleased with the results. What I am getting from LED is: Less power consumption, longer life, more resistant to damage, brighter light. If your light does this, then I would get it.

I had both beams for a while after the install, though I am only able to get them on highbeam as of last night: I have had an issue with the step relay for the high/low beams, and replacing the bulbs did not affect that, so I still have no low beams right now. I ordered a new relay tonight from parts geek, who actually had the new version of the exact part, which is #R601.322, and controls the switch from low to high beams. They apparently have a ton of other obscure electrical and mechanical parts as well for the volvo, which was nice to find. NAPA did not have any idea where to get that part, though they did have some of the square relays that replace the ones in the glove box area (there is a line of them at the front of the fuse relay in there). If the new step relay doesnt fix the problem, then there is a short somewhere, which would not surprise me.

I will not be able to use the wiper arms on these unless I extend the arm forward another inch on them, though I am most likely going to cover them with a cage instead to protect the lenses. After installing these, they project outward from the front of the bezel about 1/2 inch, so the wipers wont reach unless they are out farther. I really like the lights, though, and they fit and work very well using all the existing parts to do so.

The guy who owned this thing did the shittiest wiring job I have ever seen, and there is a ton of mess in there. I mean, he used thin wires, lamp chord, speaker wire, none of it is coded or labelled, there are loose wires hanging all over the place. All electrical taped. He even has some wiring where there is wire of a different kind spliced into the middle of a length of wire. Its just a nightmare. I would love to ask him wtf he was thinking when he did it. I am no perfectionist, but there are just ways you do things and ways you dont. It looks like he had a box of spare wires laying around and just grabbed some when he needed it, regardless of what it was. "Hey, its a wire, it goes from here to there. That will work." I mean, if you do the best you can and it isnt perfect, that is one thing but I have a real issue when things are done half-assed, and there is a lot of that caliber of work on this truck. It's painted with a f***ing BRUSH. Really? Dont they have even rattle cans in Canadia? Ugh.

This meeting next weekend will be my last drive for a long while: after that, I will be completely tearing out the wiring, all the crap accessories and aftermarket switch relays, blown out halogen lights, etc. and will start with a fresh clean wiring assembly at the end of the build, once I have all the body stripped, welded and repainted. Its going to be a long winter.

On a positive note, I did replace some bulbs and got the running lights and parking lights working again.

Hope this helps!
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Max,
Thanks for your observations. I will post with whatever I decide to go with.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Update: PartsGeek shipped the part plenty fast, the new step relay for the headlights arrived here today and I put in. They work perfectly again! Yay for small victories.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

MadMax wrote: It's painted with a f***ing BRUSH. Really? Dont they have even rattle cans in Canadia? Ugh.
Canadia...not sure about them, but we have them in Canada :lol:
1972 710m
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Finished tearing out the insulation and pegboard in the rear and roof area:

Bad news: wires. wires and pieces of wires running everywhere, and housing insulation stuffed in plastic bags. Wet. Also, he used some kind of tar-paper backed foam in some places for insulation, which has completely dry rotted so that if I try to remove it, the foam disintegrates into dust and gets all over the place, but the paper will not come off. It uses some kind of super-sticky tar like roofing material to adhere.

Good news: The roof is in absolutely mint condition, looking like it was just put on there yesterday - no rust at all, perfect paint on the inside. I hope it is the same on the outside.

Removed the broken rear camera housing, will put the new one on later. Went driving last night with the new LED headlamps, made some final adjustments to the positioning. What a drastic improvement over the old H4 lamps! They do weigh a good bit more than the old ones, so I may weld in an additional screw tab up top inside the lamp housing to secure it with more than just the lower screw. (I dont want to hit a bump and have my new headlight fall out, that would suck.)