Re: 12V starter in a 24V system . . . C303

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
ranicotra
United States of America

12V starter in a 24V system . . . C303

Post by ranicotra »

the previous owner installed a 12V starter on the 24V C303. I'm told it spins 2x as fast as a 24V starter, and it sure sounds it. Sometimes the truck starts fine, sometimes it spins and I just hear it whirring away. I pause,then hit the button again, and it usually starts.

Yesterday I went to start it ( very cold out) and it took a few attempts. But this time it didn't spin at all. I pressed the button a few times, with no reaction. Then pressed and held it - and a plume of smoke puffed off the angry batteries. Is it stuck ? I tried pulling the truck forward a few inches in gear. Tried whacking the starter with a hammer. No result.

Any suggestions ?

Any fix for the current 12V starter, or do i need to hunt down a 24V ?
thanks in advance for any help,

Rick Nicotra
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You fried something, like a solenoid, or maybe you have a bad cable if it really was coming from the battery. Never hold down a stater if nothing is happening... you are kinda asking for it at that point.

You can likely take it to decent rebuild shop and have it converted for 24v. Using a 12v unit is not a good idea at all. You might call and ask a large rebuild place, like the one I listed in the general chat resource post. It's in Ca. USA; your profile doesn't say where you are so maybe that isn't realistic.?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ranicotra
United States of America

Post by ranicotra »

thanks for the prompt response. I am located just outside of Buffalo, NY.

I agree about holding down the button. It was only my first week with the truck and I was hoping for something magical to happen. I guess it did - dark magic.

I will be pulling the starter tomorrow.