electric power steering

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
bababiscuit
United States of America

electric power steering

Post by bababiscuit »

hello...anyone on the forum had any experience with ezpowersteering.nl ?...I would greatly appreciate any input as to whether or not this would be a good application with the TGB11's...thanks
Selloutrr

Re: electric power steering

Post by Selloutrr »

I don't have personal experience with the product though after reading the product discription it does sound nice. The part that worries me is that the pictures only show small euro MG/spitfire/Alfa type cars. Pointing to this being a lite weight power steering assembly. It may be worth contacting the manufacture with vehicle specs and seeing what they have to offer.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Check with Unisteer, they were supposed to have a heavy duty unit by the end of last Summer. Original quote was $950.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
bababiscuit
United States of America

Post by bababiscuit »

Steering column is pretty short, and there's not much room for extras, not sure the electric route will work...anyone have a measurement of the steering shaft before I tear into it?
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Most of these electric power steering are only suitable for vehicles with a Max Weight or 4500lbs or 2000kg. Depending what you carry in your vehicle these may be a bit small.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
bababiscuit
United States of America

Post by bababiscuit »

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well...this ezsteer company claims to have it on a unimog so I was hopeful...not much space in the TGB cab though...
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Yes - while not a portal vehicle I have been looking at power steering for my Landrover 101 FC - it has an empty weight of 2 tonnes and loaded 3.5tonnes and my investigations have indicated that these electric steering devices are Ok if I do not load it up - BUT - if I load it up, the load is in the back and the steering tends to lighten up a little. So while I do understand that the sellers need to give an idea of what type of vehicles are suitable, weight is one way but more specifically steering load would be more relevant but is hard for a customer to determine.

I have looked at installing hydraulic steering boxes from other vehicles but the vertical steering column placed well forward of the front axle means bevel boxes are also required or cutting into the chassis which I am not prepared to do. Hystee and others make hydraulic rams that fit to the front suspension but these tend to be expensive are not great performers and then there is the electric versions which would be perfect if the load rating was a bit higher.

Good luck with your quest I will follow with interest.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Just remember that under some circumstances you will have substantial weight transfer to the front wheels the manufacturers may be looking at that potential load.

In some situations such as under hard breaking or descending a steep off-road grade you may have the majority of your vehicles weight on the front wheels.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

You are quite correct and for that reason I have issues with the electric option. It is a shame that they do not make them for vehicles 1000lb heavier.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"