sl 3500 engine conversion

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Warren

sl 3500 engine conversion

Post by Warren »

I have just imported 2 c304's to Australia and the B30 just won't do, IMO it is just a bad engine especially in this application. Therefore I can't get them out fast enough for I don't want to waste any time or money on something that could only be average at best.
Has anyone in the UK heard of Gumtree 4x4? I saw an article from 1991 describing a conversion done by them on a c303 using a Mazda SL 3500 n/a and I would like to find out a little more about it. John Bowden is the man responsible for it and I think he was mostly putting these motors in range rovers and LR 110's. I'm pretty sure he kept the original Volvo gearbox using an adapter plate to mate the sl 3500 diesel to it. My main questions are in relation to which flywheel/clutch arrangement were used. Almost everything else seems pretty straightforward, helped by the fact the engine will fit in the space very easily, a lot easier than fitting either the 4BD1t or the 14BT although either of these engines might be worth the extra work. The thing is, I have a rusty old mazda truck that I have not used for a few years now and the motor in it has done 60000 km since reco and is a very good motor that I'm very familiar with, it seems a pity to waste it.
So is anybody out there familiar with this Gumtree mob? Or the Volvo in question? They called the Volvo a Dosco in the article I saw.
What do others think of this diesel as a conversion candidate?
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: sl 3500 engine conversion

Post by Heinkeljb »

If these are the people you are thinking of:-

http://www.gumtree4x4.co.uk/

I am not very far away from them and could visit if required.

John
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hi John,
Thanks, but I have since been in contact with Gumtree 4x4, the owner John Bowden has been most helpful, the people who supplied the kit to him was MD engineering, but they haven't got back to me yet, I suspect a phone call would yield better results though. Although John could remember that it went in very easily with the kit MD engineering supplied him and he thinks, from memory it was a kit they produce to mate a Mazda sl3500 to a range rover v8 trans, I don't know a much more yet.
I appreciate your offer though, is MD engineering anywhere close by?

Warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Not really, a quick Google puts them as being up north which make at least a 3 hour journey one way.

John