Technical articles by owners, for owners.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
My blower motor failed recently and finding information on suitable replacements has been a challenge. This is what I did today to fix it. The project was under $100, fairly simple, and done in a few hours. Scouring the Red Dot catalog lead me to this motor. It was as close as I could find to a fit that wasn't several hundred dollars. The Red Dot 73R0554 - two speed 24vdc blower motor similar in body size but has a wider mounting stud spacing and a larger 5/16 output shaft. I cut a steel plate out with the same diameter and outer bolt pattern as the original outer plate with a larger 1.25" center hole and a matching 2-5/16" motor mounting spacing. The motor mounting nuts required were m5 and didn't ship with the motor. By carefully drilling the fan center out to match the 5/16 shaft and adding an m5 set screw I had plenty of adjustment for the fan spacing with reasonable access to the set screw for assembly. I was quite pleased at the result. It looks close to OEM, runs smooth, and blows more air. Next task, finish wiring and replace heater hoses. I hope this helps.
- m5.jpg (652.51 KiB) Viewed 923 times
- plate2.jpg (353.67 KiB) Viewed 923 times
- test2.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 923 times
- testFit.jpg (533.91 KiB) Viewed 923 times
- installTest.jpg (314.46 KiB) Viewed 923 times