Blower Motor Alternative Found

Technical articles by owners, for owners.
AudioNW
United States of America

Blower Motor Alternative Found

Post by AudioNW »

My blower motor failed recently and finding information on suitable replacements has been a challenge. This is what I did today to fix it. The project was under $100, fairly simple, and done in a few hours. Scouring the Red Dot catalog lead me to this motor. It was as close as I could find to a fit that wasn't several hundred dollars. The Red Dot 73R0554 - two speed 24vdc blower motor similar in body size but has a wider mounting stud spacing and a larger 5/16 output shaft. I cut a steel plate out with the same diameter and outer bolt pattern as the original outer plate with a larger 1.25" center hole and a matching 2-5/16" motor mounting spacing. The motor mounting nuts required were m5 and didn't ship with the motor. By carefully drilling the fan center out to match the 5/16 shaft and adding an m5 set screw I had plenty of adjustment for the fan spacing with reasonable access to the set screw for assembly. I was quite pleased at the result. It looks close to OEM, runs smooth, and blows more air. Next task, finish wiring and replace heater hoses. I hope this helps.
Attachments
m5.jpg
m5.jpg (652.51 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
plate2.jpg
plate2.jpg (353.67 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
testFit.jpg
testFit.jpg (533.91 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
installTest.jpg
installTest.jpg (314.46 KiB) Viewed 4335 times