Pinzgauer odometer repair with pics.

Technical articles by owners, for owners.
berger
Canada

Pinzgauer odometer repair with pics.

Post by berger »

I figured I would start a new thread with pics...(I am using my iPhone 3GS, so not the best pics...). You know....my first repair job on the Iltis was fitting a uni-speedo cable...

It turns out my odometer and trip meter don't work, but my speedo works fine. After reading a few posts, I believe the issue is the press-fit pot metal piece that is failing, as when I turn the trip meter, the odometer jumps a click. In we go!!

I have been following Jim's post here....and the Porsche procedure here...

Removing the metal ring..

Ring off...

Plastic Transparent face removed....after heating with blow dryer...

Now I am stuck trying to remove the inner ring, gasket....

I got it....it is not a gasket and ring, it is one piece....I loosened up the "glue" from between the rubber side and the housing with a jewelers screw driver, and then gently pryed it out using a larger flat head screw driver....and it came out...

Last edited by berger on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Re: Odometer repair with pics.

Post by berger »

Right away you can see that the odometer worm gear is not meshing with the gears because it has popped out....

Unfortunately, this is not my problem. Even with the gear pushed back into place, the odometer still jumps a click when you turn the trip meter. The pot metal cog is loose....so, rather than take the speedo needle off and worry about recalibrating, I pulled the pin that holds the plastic cogs to get the wheel out....

Disassembled...

I have decided to rough up the pot metal cog pin, along with crimping the cog itself, as described in the Porsche gauge repair write-up. Stay tuned...
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Re: Odometer repair with pics.

Post by berger »

...con't...

Using some standard and small needle noose pliers, I etched the end of the pin in the teeth of the standard pliers, just scoring the end of the pin. I then used the needle noose pliers to VERY slightly squeeze the inner portion the of the pot-metal cog. This proved very effective, as it was difficult even sliding the pin into the cog outside of the mechanism. Anyway, assembly was fairly easy, but I did have to really tap the pin through the wheels, making sure the brass gear on the one end meshed with the worm gear and also found its way through the hole in the other end of the housing...

Pressed all the way in...with some Super Glue on the end of the pin.

It works! Video below...
Last edited by berger on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol