Locking a Pinzgauer

Technical articles by owners, for owners.
edzz
United States of America

Locking a Pinzgauer

Post by edzz »

Locking a Pinzgauer.
The photos may help understand my ramblings.
In the photos the orange sticker has an arrow pointing to the latch blocking screw.

The following is a description of some method to lock a Pinzgauer. These methods apply to my 710K and in some instances should apply to 710M’s etc.

When I first got my 710K it bothered me that living in So Cal that there was no way to lock the passenger door from the inside, you know like to prevent that unsavory individual from being able to yank the door open while your stuck in traffic and steal your axe.

Well there is a solution for that. If you remove the front door panels you will find that the rod that connects from the door handle to the door latch mechanism is actually two pieces (at least mine is) and is held together in the middle by a couple of screws. If you remove these screws you have a choice of assembling the rod as a short rod or a long rod. It is normally assembled as a short rod. If assembled as a long rod the door handle will stand out from the door when the door is closed.
Examining the plate near the latch plate you should observe a small screw as in the photo. If you remove this screw and have the rod in its extended position you will now be able to press the door handle back to the position (flush position) your used to, in this position the door is locked from the inside and can not be opened from the outside key lock or no key lock.
Now for the bad part, it the door handle is in the flush position while closing the door the door will be locked to the out side and must be opened from the inside, this is why I never altered the drivers door in this manner. If you change both front doors be aware you may need a long coat hanger or be able to reach in an open window.

This brings me to another idea for the 710M guys that don’t have key door locks, if you wanted to you could set both front doors to be lockable from the inside and use a window lock mechanism such as is used for retail display cases.

Now onto the rear doors on the 710K, for camping or overnight at a rest stop I sleep more securely with the doors locked. When I first got my Pinz I simply slid the window open, reached outside with the key and locked the door. Problem was now I was locked in the back of a tin box with no easy escape.

So on to the solution, remove the same screw as in the fount door latch and you now have a door handle that has a locked position. See that screws only purpose is to prevent the door from being locked from the inside. Now the only problem is if locked from the inside the key will not unlock it from the outside, and if the door handle is in the locked position when the door is shut the door will be locked to the outside requiring you to accesses it by going thru another door or with the previously mentioned long coat hanger.

Note to self, when letting small children in the back at car shows make sure the big back door is propped open so its easier to climb in and rescue the frightened crying child that locked himself in and cant get out. Don’t ask me how I know this.
Attachments
Unlocked
Unlocked
1 front openable from outside.JPG (69.59 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
3front unopenable from outside.JPG (69.57 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Locked with security options
Locked with security options
4front unopenable from_outside.JPG (80.45 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
The screw not removed
The screw not removed
5front lock blocked.JPG (83.47 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Last edited by edzz on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
edzz
United States of America

Re: Locking a Pinzgauer

Post by edzz »

The rest of the photos
Attachments
Screw removed
Screw removed
6front unblocked.JPG (83.75 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Possible window lock
Possible window lock
7.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Rear door 710K screw removed and handle in locked position
Rear door 710K screw removed and handle in locked position
8Rear locked.JPG (89.53 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Rear door 710K screw in place
Rear door 710K screw in place
9Rear unlocked.JPG (89.85 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.