Polycab side window assembly

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Kelly
United States of America

Polycab side window assembly

Post by Kelly »

I'm working on installing the sliding side windows on the polycab. I haven't seen one assembled before and I'm not certain on the best work flow for putting one of these together. I'm assuming you get everything together inside the gasket and then use a rope and lubricant to work it into the window frame the same as you would a single pane window. Any advice and/or photos would be appreciated.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Polycab side window assembly

Post by TechMOGogy »

Not many poly cab owners but hopefully someone will have some info/advice for you
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Ranger1
Great Britain

Post by Ranger1 »

Hi Kelly. I have a Polycab and I regularly have to refit the glass as the surround rubber is now old and not a good fit inside the window opening. If I go off road they can just fall out, usually, thankfully, inside the cab. I always fit the basic rubber, then the metal slider guider, then the glass and then the rib that sits in the groove. If you buy new profiles they will be straight and not moulded so you have to make some snips in the corners to remove the excess that squeezes out on the bends. It’s the only option now as the moulded ones are not available. I did one door with a new, straight profile, but have decided, for now to leave the other door with an old, moulded profile, and some tank tape as insurance.
The windows are fiddly to do and you need strong fingers and lots of patience. Good luck.
NIgel
Kelly
United States of America

Post by Kelly »

I'm considering using a rubber window gasket adhesive to fit the gasket first. Primarily to hold it in place while I fit everything else.
Ranger1
Great Britain

Post by Ranger1 »

It all depends if you have the moulded profile or the straight one. The moulded one should stay in quite well even on its own and once you have the fixed pane in it will stay in place. If you have the straight profile then some goo might help. But it might be a good idea to do all the necessary trimming before you use any goo as I found i had to take it in and out quite a few times until I was happy with how it sat round the corners. And if you have the straight profile may I suggest that you keep the join at the top in the middle.
Nigel