Gen output and aux lights

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SDPintheLBC

Post by SDPintheLBC »

I'm not sure of the dimensions of this, being 50a, might be too big. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-Rac ... dZViewItem
Mark

'72 S.A. 710M
'67 S.A. Haffy
'73 S.A. Condor
SDPintheLBC

Post by SDPintheLBC »

Jim Molloy wrote: There must be a less expensive option.
Jim -

Do you know of source for used JD parts?

Thanks,
Mark

'72 S.A. 710M
'67 S.A. Haffy
'73 S.A. Condor
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Mark,

There are many sources for used tractor parts. My experience is that it is hit and miss.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
http://www.volvo4x4.com
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Gen output and aux lights

Post by Heinkeljb »

Been thinking about this for my Haflinger BUT, the energy you are taking to put into the battery / light system has to come from somewhere!

That "somewhere" is the poor engine.... So you would lose a few (more) of your precious horses into turning the new alternator (not forgetting the horses which are already being put into the dynastart to charge the battery / lights etc).

So that now means that you have less power for going up hill and dale. I suppose you could with a bit of alteration to the original wiring, make the Dynastart into a starter only and rely on the out put of your new alternator (especially if it was a 50 amp one).

One way I thought of getting round some of the lighting issues would be to fit 35watt (a piece) High Intensity discharge headlamps. You can buy Ba20d H4 (main / dip beam) units which would light up the road a lot better that the standard 35 watt bulbs and even a lot better than the quartz halogen ones.

Also adding LED lights would cut the electrical requirement if fitted to things like parking lights / indicator lights / rear lights / brake lights.

John
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Officially, it takes 746 watts to equal 1 horsepower. But since automotive alternators are only about 50% efficient, they would take 2HP to make 746 watts.

But to know the amps, you take 746 and divide it by 14 volts to see that 2HP could make 53 amps! So a "typical" current draw of 10-20 amps is only a realistic 1/2 horsepower lost; it is not quite as bad as you might think.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Most Haflingers are "well past" their sell buy date and so probably do not produce any where near what the official documentation says.
So losing even 1/2 a horse could show up and make a difference when the engine is struggling.

I do agree that under most normal situations it probably would not make much of a difference to be running an alternator which puts out more energy than the standard dynastart.

John