Ignition System Options?

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

justfred

Ignition System Options?

Post by justfred »

All,

(already have this question in to Jim)

My (newly registered and drivable) Haf is having a problem starting.

In the morning, I half-choke it, and it catches, runs for 10 seconds, then quits, and I can't get it to catch again. I tried starter spray, and it still doesn't catch, so I'm thinking electrical; the main wire from the coil to the distributor seems a little flaky, diz looks fine inside (as far as I can tell - points, rotor, cap intact, no moisture, I didn't check gap or anything).

I've got the military-style system - which apparently is nearly identical to the Pinz, but with only two wires.

On my Pinz, I've got the pertronix and am in the process of converting to the civvy cap/plug wires. Has anyone done the same with the Haf?

Other suggestions? I think the next thing I'm going to do is try to rebuild the coil-diz wire.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

There was a Pertronix made for the Haffy at one time, but was discontinued for some problems... I don't remember what it was.
If you have the old cables from the Pinz, try swapping them out to see if that fixes thing. You can 'temp' a civilian coil into the system to check that ( without cutting or modifying anything). Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? Have you had the carb apart? The float could have filled with fuel and flooded the engine .
With almost 8 years of owning my Series 1 Swiss Haf, the only starting issues I've had were dead battery ( seem common for me :roll: :lol: ), and the float.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
justfred

Post by justfred »

Thanks, David.

True, I will have some spare wires left over, will try that when I get them back (Pinz is with Jim L at the moment).

Electric fuel pump, pumping away, I loosened the connect at the carb and fuel was there.

I haven't popped open the carb, but will try that next; spraying starter down the throat didn't get it to catch, though, and usually that'll do it.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

If the fuel pump doesn't shut off in a few seconds after turning the key on, it is either a bad/leaking float or adjustment, or a bad/stuck needle and seat. On the S1 Haf, you can pop the top of the carb off without removing the carb

Are you coming to the Gathering in March?
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
justfred

Post by justfred »

In remotest jungles of Irwindale? It's on my calendar.
justfred

Post by justfred »

I pulled the coil-diz wire, it had continuity but also a short, or at least a bit of exposed wire. Cleaned, trimmed, reinstalled. Per Jim my spare Pinz wires will work if needed. Still won't start.

Popped the top off the carb. It's a Weber 1 barrel. Floats look fine, not a lot of gunk inside, didn't check jets yet. Gasket old dry and torn, will need to deal with that but for now I wet it and repositioned. Reassemble.

Starts fine, runs fine.

This is a fun little engine to work on - I can get to the whole thing from the top, and I can reach down in when I drop stuff.

(thread drift) At some point I'm probably going to have to choose between this and the Pinz and sell the other. Despite the fact that this one needs its own trailer (like a dog needing its own dog) I'm liking the little guy, tho I still haven't driven it farther than I can walk back from.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Fred, I may have a set of points for that distributor. The coil wire from your Pinz should be a good replacement as it is in good condition.
Your Pinz ignition is converted and the carbs are off and ready to teardown for rebuilding :)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
justfred

Post by justfred »

Thanks Jim! I'm just glad it works, tho I'm not quite sure what I did right.

FYI pics are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justfred/tags/haflinger/

The carb is a Weber, not sure the type:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justfred/4 ... 3/sizes/l/
I'm going to at least need to fabricate a top gasket.