Which one is original NA Pathfinder bumper?

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

TechMOGogy
Canada

Which one is original NA Pathfinder bumper?

Post by TechMOGogy »

Can anyone confirm if one is right and one is wrong or if both are right and just different 'options'??
V1: 1st pic is of my 71 Pathfinder Hafi with a short style 'bumperette' and it is bolted flat under the bottom of the front
V2: 2nd pic is also of a 71 Pathfinder Hafi with long 'bumperette' and it is bolted so the end goes into the front much higher

I have looked around and there is a mix it seems and I am not sure why?
The one in Septembers FourWheeler has V2 http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehi ... haflinger/
The one in the video I posted is V2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Gs4NWrWrQ
EI's Pathfinder has the V2 http://www.expedition-imports.com/popup ... timageid=1
SAV Pathfinder has the V2 http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?tab ... &idnum=115

I think Jim L's Pathfinder has a V1 like mine
And I know of 2-3 others that are Pathfinders and have the V1 bumper

Just wondering if anyone knows?
Cheers,
Attachments
bumper 2.jpg
bumper 2.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
bumper A.jpg
bumper A.jpg (17.73 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Which one is original NA Pathfinder bumper?

Post by Jim Molloy »

I believe these were all just variants of the original equipment. The other thing to keep in mind that North American trucks were imported not only to the US but Canada and some of the later production run were diverted to Australia as well. The 1970 edition of the parts manual shows only one style front bumper and it is the type whele the lower mount meets the vertical portion of the footwell.

Of interest is that the bumper from a 1972 US NA Pathfinder will not match the front mounting holes of a 1971 Canadian NA-spec truck. Hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Thanks Jim - that is what I figured but both of the images I posted are NA spec Pathfinders.
I thought Canadian did not come with front bumpers - but that is just me looking on the interweb at Steve's restored Hafi and one that Pinz Canada had for sale a year back.
It is just interesting and I know there can be crazy differences from one to the other just like Mogs :)
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Dan,
I'm more familiar with the version shown in "Picture A". I've seen this type on Haf images from various corners of the world, including US Pathfinders. BTW, you are correct, only the rear tube bumper was supplied on Canadian Haflingers. The tubular front bumper was standard equipment on US Pathfinders. The type shown in "Picture A" is a direct fit to Canadian Haf's (at least those built in 1969) as I have a friend who acquired an original NOS one and bolted it on his 1969 Canadian Haffy. Another Canadian truck owner I know of got one and had it chrome plated for his truck. Kind of a flashy touch to dress up his Haf without hurting originality too much.
Cheers,
Steve H.
1971 NA 700AP
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Ok - I did some digging on Google and went through my pics
This is all just for interest sake but here are a bunch of the "V1" bumpers like I have on mine.
I am wondering if the US DOT requestest the square hollow mount so there was some "give"/crumple to the bumper (even though it is only 1")??
The mount is also directly behind the bumperette vs far to the side like on the "V2" bumper.
Pathfinder Bumpers.jpg
Pathfinder Bumpers.jpg (84.87 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
I also found a pic of the NA Pathfinder in the Puch Museum - it has the V1 bumper and mount...hhmmm... :idea:
You would assume they would have a pretty original one but who knows!!
Bumper Puch Museum.jpg
Bumper Puch Museum.jpg (70.66 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

You could be on to something with the US regulations idea as the examples you've found are all Pathfinders. I assume that the Pathfinder in the Puch museum was returned there from the US at some point in its life
Ciao,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

As far as I have observed, U.S. spec bumper is unique to U.S. models. I have never found this bumper on other(non U.S.) Bug Eye models.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pathfinder700ap
Austria

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi,

The bumper which is shown e.g. in the picture with the red Haflinger and in the pictures from the Puch Museum is a younger version. The other bumper style is an older version, which was also used on some other civilian Haflinger versions e.g. in Europe.

It appears to me that Pathfinder marked 3/71 on the compliance plate have the older style bumper, while Pathfinders with younger dates on the compliance plate have the younger bumper type. I don't know for which reason the bumper was changed, but maybe it was a problem that the older bumper was partially in front of the headlights.

The younger bumper is, as far as I know, unique for Pathfinder models. I haven't seen it on other Haflinger versions.

By the way... the Pathfinder at the Puch Museum was never exported to USA. There exist quite a lot of such Haflingers in Europe. It appears that a batch of Pathfinders was not sold to USA any more in 1972.

Kind regards,
Constantin
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

In my 1st post the red haflinger is marked 12/71
The tan one is marked 3/71
So if I follow what your saying 3/71 and older have the larger bumperettes ('older' version)
And anything marked 4/71 and newer should have the smaller bumperettes ('younger' version)
Makes sense
Cheers,
pathfinder700ap
Austria

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi there,

yes, this sounds correct to me, except that I haven't ever seen 4/71 so far. It appears that the next younger ones after the 3/71 are 10/71, 11/71 and 12/71. Then comes 4/72, but these vehicles already mix up with Haflingers which stayed "at home" for local sale.

Kind regards,
Constantin