Dynastarter

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

mikenearman

Dynastarter

Post by mikenearman »

Hello all, my Dynastarter is often weak and will not engage to start the truck. I assume it needs new brushes. I have taken it out and for the life of me cannot get the brush caps off. Anyone got any tricks? When I engage the pushbutton the solenoid seems to work fine. I have to use the manual motor crank to kind of get some compression going and then sometimes the starter will work.

----Sent from my stupid smartphone
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Dynastarter

Post by Heinkeljb »

Before condemning the Dynastart and it's brushes (they could probably do with replacing anyway), just because the solenoid seems to work by Clicking when you press the button does not mean it IS working correctly.
It could have very carbonised and pitted contact points which so not allow enough current to flow to make the Dynastart work. You need to test the resistance across the switch contacts when the solenoid is activated. Better yet do a current test like you would do for testing for a dead battery but using the solenoid in the circuit.

I have not had to take the Dynastart to pieces on my Haflinger yet, so can't help with any "tricks" to get the brushes out except to say, try soaking the joints with "PlusGas" (releasing fluid) - Not WD40 as that is not the same thing! Do they have a nut or bolt which holds them in place which might have corrosion binding the two things together? If so, "PlusGas" should help.

John
mikenearman

Post by mikenearman »

Do you know off-chance if the solenoid can be pulled apart and checked physically?

Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Sorry, don't know about the ones used on the Haflinger (have't had to take apart yet), but most can be taken apart to get at the main power contact points and the bar that connects them.

Just as quick to do an electrical test on it though.

A multimeter set to measure resistance.
Disconnect the big thick wire going directly to the battery
Connect the multimeter across the two big power connection studs.
It should show no continuity.
Get some one to press and hold the stater button long enough for you to see the change in the meter reading.
Ideally is should go to "zero" but anything with low numbers is probably all right.

John
mikenearman

Post by mikenearman »

Thank you... I will try that out!

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Solenoid (stock)can be taken apart and cleaned. If it is bad, a Ford remote starter solenoid can be fitted . Once the band covering the brush access holes is removed, use a 90 deg scribe tool or piece of thin wire to pull back the brush spring to remove brush. reverse the process for assembly. Brushes are common 6v VW type.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
mikenearman

Post by mikenearman »

Well, I am such a moron! I assumed the brushes were under the four large diameter set screws along the mid drift of the starter. Now reading your post I unscrewed that little band thing and Wala! Chunks of the brushes were falling out in three of the bays. I think there may be a problem there! Where can I find these for sale?

mikenearman

Post by mikenearman »

got the brushes tuned up, cleared all the deposits, cleaned contacts on solenoid and she fired up instantaneously! Thanks guys!
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed underlilne
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Did you ever find a local source?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

You can alter carbon brushes to suit different applications as the carbon is very soft.... So just find ones which are larger than what you need, then using a hack saw and a file or emery cloth just cut / file / grind them down to the required size.

So your biggest problem will finding a shop that sell carbon brushes that you can alter!

John