Replacement dynastart solenoid

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Haffy Mark

Post by Haffy Mark »

I went to start the Hafi after sitting for a couple weeks and no start. Just click from the solenoid. I replaced the battery since it's old anyway and same thing. So I pulled the solenoid and it's not serviceable. So I followed a post from Jim LaGuardia and purchased a remote solenoid. The problem is I don't know how to hook it up.

The Bosch has terminals 31 (ground) and 50 (starter control). The replacement has "S" and an "I" terminal. I am confused and cannot figure it out by research. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Mark

1967 Swiss Army Troop Haflinger swb
1972 Swiss Army Pinzgauer 710m
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Replacement dynastart solenoid

Post by Heinkeljb »

It would help if you posted a picture of your new one.

Depending on the supplier, you might have a piece of paper with fitting instructions. If you haven't it cant be that difficult to work out which terminal is which. I don't recognise the naming you have posted, but that means nothing.

So, First thing to do is Identify the two large terminals which will connect one side of the battery to the Dynastart. Second you will have one or two further terminals which are either small nut and stud or blade fittings.

The small terminals are the energising coil for the solenoid. Supplying power to these i what causes the solenoid to pull down the bar which connects the main power leads together.

If you only have one small terminal, then this goes to the starter switch cable and the body of the solenoid will be the other wire going to earth (or negative).
If you have two terminals, one will be the earth (12v negative) and one will be power (12volt positve) !2 volt positive is what you should get from the starter button wire.

I know you have just bought a new solenoid, but there are other things that could be wrong. The starter button might not be supplying 12 volt - it needs to supply at least 9 volts before the solenoid will go "clack". The dynastart brushes might be in need of attention / replacement. These things are FAR MORE likely to be at fault than the solenoid.

It is perfectly possible to dismantle the solenoid and refurbish it if you want - I put a more descriptive thread over on "thehaflinger.com" if you want to have a read. (http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=779)

John
Haffy Mark

Post by Haffy Mark »

Thank you John. You're right, it wasn't the solenoid. I ran the wires that went to terminal 31 to the mounting screws. When I tried to start it, same thing except it clicked a lot over and over. So I pulled the dynastarter and checked the brushes and were almost new. When I put it back together, it worked! I suspect maybe the ground straps weren't getting a good connection. But at least it works and I got to clean the dirt out of my oil cooler!

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark

Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Hi Mark,

Glad you have it working again.

Did you check the state of the commutator (copper segments) whilst you were looking at the brushes? Mostly likely what happened is that the Dyanastart stopped with the brushes straddling two copper segments and so when the solenoid pulled in, the current flow through the commutator was not enough to turn the shaft. Sometimes, if you rock the whole Haflinger with your body weight whilst trying to start it, it will suddenly start turning over.

The commutator can become less than smooth for several reasons, all of which result in poor Dynatart performance.

John
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Ok, When it is ready bring it out for a local trail ride :!: I have nice scenic fire roads 5 min away :twisted:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Haffy Mark

Post by Haffy Mark »

John - It looked pretty good. I also rotated it several times and tried it. Nothing. Tried it with the belt off and nothing. It works now though!

Jim - Trail ride sounds good! Just have to change the oils. I'm missing the the small rubber seals that go on the tube inside the oil filter housing. I have the cartridge type not the spin on. So I imagine that most of the oil is just bypassing the cartridge.

I did find my parts book, so I'll look in it tonight for the seals. Does anyone know of the dimensions of the seals so I might be able to get them locally?

Thanks guys...
Mark

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Stop by and I'll give you one. I have a spare :D
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Haffy Mark

Post by Haffy Mark »

Ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark

Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Mark,

Several possibilities occur to me:

1: One (or more) of the brushes had got stuck in the holder and so was not making good contact with the commutator.
2: The solenoid "bar" was not making good contact across the two power contacts - maybe be worth trying your new one?
3: The various joints in the Dynastart had gone high resistance (loose?) and when you opened it up to check on the brushes, you just moved things that little bit.
4: The engine managed to stop in just the wrong place and the Dynastart did not have enough torque to turn it.
5: Battery voltage was just too low.

Hopefully it won't happen again, but if it does and you have a multimeter available, check the battery voltage before, during and after trying to start it. That should tell you if it really is trying to start of just the solenoid moving.
Another way would be to turn the lights on and then try starting - if the lights dim a lot, then it is taking current as far as the Dynastart, if no real change then power is only getting as far the solenoid, maybe as far as the the Dynastart but not going through the brushes.

John
Haffy Mark

Post by Haffy Mark »

Thanks John. The first thing I thought was the battery because it had been sitting for a couple years so I got a new one. I topped it off before installing. Interesting what you said about the lights as I did try it with them on and they did not dim. I tried it with both solenoids and it was the same. I have the new solenoid in there now. It was just a cheap Chinese one from Auto Zone but I didn't have to modify any wires or drill anything so I can put the Bosch back on anytime.

I would probably guess it was either the brushes like you said or poor ground. I did notice that the bolt holding the ground straps to the Dynastart was not very tight so I think that's a prime suspect.

Thanks again!
Mark