Do we have a Haflinger map for USA owners here? Events?

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

nelsonamen

Do we have a Haflinger map for USA owners here? Events?

Post by nelsonamen »

I have been enjoying this site for a few days. Great to see that I am not alone!

I currently have 2 Haflingers in San Antonio, Texas and I am wondering if:
- we have a map showing the locations of the Haflinger owners in the United States and
- a calendar with dates of gatherings where I might team up with other owners

There is nothing quite like meeting up with others that have our unique vehicles. Thanks again for this site and all the photos / chatter about Haflinger. Excellent!

Nelson Amen
San Antonio, Texas
Attachments
IMG_2786_1.JPG
IMG_2786_1.JPG (173.71 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Do we have a Haflinger map for USA owners here? Events?

Post by Heinkeljb »

The photo makes it look as if you are "A" framing the Haflinger around. Not sure if Haflinger's take to that very well... They don't self centre very well so it might not be the best method of getting from a to b......

Much better to drive it!

John

Looks nice by the way.
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I know there was an attempt to do an owner map some time ago, but it didn't really materialize.

Also, there is a Facebook group dedicated to documenting the number of Haflinger Pathfinders still around. If one or both are Pathfinders, we love to hear any vehicle history, original owners/uses etc.
(Currently there are less than 40 ID'd worldwide)
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Hey Nelson,
Glad you joined up
Good chatting with you the other day on the phone too!
The group Michael started for Pathfinder owners is titled: Steyr-Puch Haflinger Pathfinder Owners Group
It is setup to document the Pathfinders as Michael said vs posting builds etc.
As for a map, I tried a while back but owners are fairly spread out and there ended up being little interest.
I was building a simple map of owners based on user posts and profiles. Will look for it and post it if I can find it.
Welcome to the forum!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
nelsonamen

Post by nelsonamen »

Thanks for the responses. Excellent info. I purchased this Haflinger in 1984 from a man about 50 miles west of Houston who was going to start a dealership. Lots of parts .... There was a second Haflinger here in San Antonio owned by Scott, who had sent it back to the factory for a re-build. It was beautiful.

The "A" frame tow bar works well .... within limitations. No speeds above about 30 mph and the steering wheel must be bungeed in the straight-ahead position. The steering linkage will allow it to go full-over to one side while towing if you are not careful.

The A frame tow bar is handy in that it attaches to the same fittings as my snow blade. I used this Haflinger in Alaska during the 16 years we lived in Kenai, Alaska. Great for clearing the driveway and helping neighbors. Even got the gasoline fueled heater working on occasion ..... scary! With chains on all four wheels and the dif locks, it was unstoppable in the snow and ice. Great for moving snow. Sweet.

Now back home in Texas and I keep it in my hangar on the west side of San Antonio, next to the recently acquired 6 place (extended body) version. This one in the photos is the arctic version with the gas fired heater and the by-pass baffle for the oil cooler. The 6 place Haflinger is the desert version with the cyclone separator on the hood and smaller headlights. So many toys, so little time ....

Nelson
Attachments
IMG_4952_1.JPG
IMG_4952_1.JPG (103.38 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Welcome to the group, always nice to see another Haflinger. Love the complete top and doors.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Why don't you just put it on the back of the Pickup? You might have to extend the bed a little with loading ramps, but then you have fewer limitations when you need to tale it places. Having said that, the best way to take it places is to drive it!

John
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

As far as Haflinger gatherings in the western hemisphere go, the only one of which I am currently aware is Haflingertreffen Nordamerika. The first three were held in various locations in northern California with the fourth in Leavenworth, WA, the fifth in northwest Oregon and the 2015 event back in Washington. At present, there appears to be a relatively high concentration of Haflingers in the Pacific Northwest including southern British Columbia.

Speedwell Motors in Beaumont, Tx was one of the primary imports of Haflingers until truck production ended. Approximately three hundred North American spec trucks were diverted to Australia at the last moment and ultimately converted to RHD. Not sure how many Haflingers are still located in Texas but there may be quite a few still about.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Czechsix
United States of America

Post by Czechsix »

Could always do something on googlemaps, and just keep it available for access for owners on the net.

There are other apps that'll do the same thing.
1963 Swiss 700AP, with Black Diamond ATV tires, and a few other mods. "Always under construction".