Rear Seating

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

Rear Seating

Post by rockymtnshepherds »

What are you guys doing for updated rear seats? I have seen a bench seat out of the rear of an older Jeep in the back of some owners here on the forum and I liked that idea.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Rear Seating

Post by Heinkeljb »

Never seen a bench seat in the back of a Haflinger, but that is probably because they already have to pop-up back seats.

Do you have any pictures of one with a bench seat? Might be an interesting mod, but I wonder what you do with your feet?

John
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

wonder if this would work for you:
SUPACAT SEAT P/N 7098123P C0415 http://r.ebay.com/wyf1kh

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

You may have seen a picture of mine.
It had a Jeep CJ seat in it, installed 2 owners ago
I drove it for a week with that seat but removed it as it is too tall for anyone other than a child, no place for feet (with the rear seat doors on. I guess you could remove them)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
2 owners ago
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.41 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

Yes, that's the one! That was Hafwit's (I had emailed him this morning to see if I could share pics). Thanks for posting. I am wanting the rear bench for children so that's really what I am looking for. Is it for sale? I like the SUPACAT seat but two kids wouldn't fit.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rockymtnshepherds wrote:Yes, that's the one! That was Hafwit's (I had emailed him this morning to see if I could share pics). Thanks for posting. I am wanting the rear bench for children so that's really what I am looking for. Is it for sale? I like the SUPACAT seat but two kids wouldn't fit.
Yes - it was Greg's (Hafwit's) Hafi
Seat is long gone - gave it to a neighborhood kid for his truck
I am sure you could find one in a junk yard or on a Jeep forum!
rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

He steered me to a UTV seat:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Yutrax-U ... 152318.uts

Has anyone tried something like this?
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Same vehicle, same question, different owner.

I may give this seat a try. Its the least expensive I've found, but may require chopping the legs. Can anyone think of a similar seat at such a price point?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I am guessing the requirement for a bench seat is because there are 3 people who want to sit in the back? Why not go for the original Haflinger design of two seats facing backwards, i.e just behind the driver and passenger? A bench seat will be difficult to say seated on when going round corners or over bumps.

I saw a very good interpretation of the extra seats in the back of a Haf by putting in some extended hinges on the set that face backwards so they folded in under the ordinary folding rear seats. Probably only works on a long wheel base with deeper foot wells though. I think photos were posted in the old Yahoo group forum thing.

John
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Heinkeljb wrote:I am guessing the requirement for a bench seat is because there are 3 people who want to sit in the back? Why not go for the original Haflinger design of two seats facing backwards, i.e just behind the driver and passenger? A bench seat will be difficult to say seated on when going round corners or over bumps.

I saw a very good interpretation of the extra seats in the back of a Haf by putting in some extended hinges on the set that face backwards so they folded in under the ordinary folding rear seats. Probably only works on a long wheel base with deeper foot wells though. I think photos were posted in the old Yahoo group forum thing.

John
I can't see there being enough space in a swb to have rear facing
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Heinkeljb wrote:I am guessing the requirement for a bench seat is because there are 3 people who want to sit in the back? Why not go for the original Haflinger design of two seats facing backwards, i.e just behind the driver and passenger? A bench seat will be difficult to say seated on when going round corners or over bumps.

John
The cost. Plain and simple. Stock set is very expensive to find. I'd love a stock set. Won't happen for $150
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Rear seat frames are not much different from the front ones (a bit smaller and with a hinge fitted to the base of the two upright tubes). If you had access to a pipe bender and a welder, I think it would be possible to make a passable copy of the original type seats. I can take a photo and post it with dimensions if that would help.

Do you have the seat lids? They have a frame work on one side so that when the seat lid is open, you can bolt the seat tubes to it to provide a way of fixing tubes to a flat surface.

John