Using tie down hooks to mount rear seats?

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

Using tie down hooks to mount rear seats?

Post by audiocontr »

I've been giving thought to adding a UTV rear seat to my Hafi, but doing so in a way that does not permanently modify the vehicle. I do not want to drill a hole, weld, etc if avoidable. At some point, the complexity of engineering a solution may out value my desire to leave stock, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've been considering the hooks on the outside of the rear walls to hold the seats down. If you look carefully, you will see the front two and rear two are spaced differently than the others. If i were to create a "tray" that rests on the floor bed, but latches, and is held down by those hooks (by going up and over the wall), i could place it behind the front seats, facing backwards, or flip it around and mount it to the rear, facing forward. Its removable and multi configurable. This way I could create a seat for adults, or a tray for baby seats.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Using tie down hooks to mount rear seats?

Post by Heinkeljb »

Just another thought on the way you could achieve what you plan. How about using the holes through platform that hold the roof tubes? You could make a flat plate with a hole in it bent down on to the platform bed and then any mounting system you want.
The hoop tubes are put into tubes which are part of the side panels, but the side panels are bolted through side rails all you will be doing is "sandwiching" the metal plate between the two, but it would be a stronger mounting point than the tie down points.

John
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Never seen anything like that but sounds like a good idea esp if you can make it so it is flipable and removable!
Mine had a rear jeep seat (2 people) installed when I got it but it was drilled and bolted down.
I removed it as it was not really done well
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG (157.66 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Im thinking of using latches like

or J Hook latches

But each is designed for the latch handles to be down. Wonder what kind i need for them to point up?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Just cut the handles and re-weld with them pointing up? When you operate them to open things, they would go horizontal....

If you make brackets like I suggested, you could weld on those without any damage to the original platform. You already have at least 4 holes through the platform which currently have the side rails bolting through the platform. Sandwiched brackets or even full length strip of steel lipped into the interior of the platform ought to give you something you can weld, drill etc that doesn't damage the original bodywork.

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I dont have tube holes on the military short wheel base unit. Its a simple right angle at the corners.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

How about one of these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#latching-clamps/=15ggqir ? Scroll down the page a bit...
Jim M.
712W and 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

The one at the bottom is quite nice. I also love Ike the right angle double lock!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

audiocontr wrote:I dont have tube holes on the military short wheel base unit. Its a simple right angle at the corners.
Hi,

I am happy to be proved wrong but if you could post a picture of your rear platform for me to see I might be able to help further.

The picture of the Red haflinger that has been posted in this thread has the holes, they are currently being used by the red platform side panels. Where the hoop tubes come down and join the side panels, they are merely pushed in to the tube sections of the side panels. The bottom of those tubes is a threaded section which goes throughthe platform and has a nut underneath to hold it in place.

Regards,

John
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I still think your side rails are bolted in place. The angle bracket on the top rear is there just to stop the two parts from wiggling.

Simple test!

Run you fingers along the bottom of the platform from one end tothe other, if you feels some (min 2 but I think 3) cut outs in the folded edge, get down and have a look at those points. My bet is that you will see a nut which you can undo, allowing you to lift off the side rail - might be worth removing the angle brackets before you actually trying lifting the side rails off!
haflinger rear platform.jpg
haflinger rear platform.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
If you look at the picture, best I could find to illustrate where to look. The rear rails are mounted in the same way, so where the vertical posts are, you will find a threaded stud in the bottom, going through the platform and a nut you can undo.

Then, as I said earlier, you can sandwich a suitable shaped piece of plate or angle iron on which you can drill / weld etc to your hearts content and still have a "standard" platform with no alterations.

I am currently on holiday in South Africa or I would have taken some pictures of Lurch to show exactly what I mean. I can still do so when I get back home at the end of the month if you would like!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

You could always just drill into the side rail, install 2 or 3 nutserts on each side and they would hardly be noticeable!
Would save a lot of fab and extra parts/latches. It does make some homes but pretty small and easily closed up buy a quick little weld. I am sure you have considered that idea but thought I would mention it.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker