Skid Steer Tires - $46 each

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Haf-e
United States of America

Skid Steer Tires - $46 each

Post by Haf-e »

I saw on a Japanese minitruck website that some guys are using skid steer tires on their 4WD trucks. One interesting tire is the "Samson Sidewinder XHD" which is available cheap:

5.70-12 8ply 18/32nd
1,875 Lbs Load Capacity Per Tire
22.4" In Diameter - 17.38 Lbs Tire Weight
$46.00 each

Reinforced sidewall’s to protect the sidewall area from damage, built in Rim Guard/Trash Shield to protect your wheels.

http://www.nebraskatire.com/brands/samson?page=1

I might order up a set to try - the ATV tires just don't look right on the Haflinger and I have a buddy who wants them for his minitruck. These skid steer tires remind me more of the military tires and I like the chevron type tread. I can always take a tire iron/cutter to them to increase wet condition traction too. I think they would be able to be used on the road more than the aggressive ATV tire also - and they have a huge weight rating. I doubt if they will air down much however.

Thoughts?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Skid Steer Tires - $46 each

Post by TechMOGogy »

I think they would work great for off-road, many have used them (agree they may not have very flexible sidewalls) but I would not use them on the road at high speed, for safety reasons!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

The ATV tires didnt look right? Ohh man, im sorry. Did they look totally silly? Maybe i dont want to pull the moloyas. Any pictures?

I have road wheels - the atv tires are for off road only
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I think its just a personal taste issue - they look like ATV tires - I also need to drive a couple of miles on the road and worry that they will look too much like ATV tires - hence the skid steers.

We did just put them on the Subaru Sambar 4WD van and they clear without any rubbing with a 1/4 inch spacer on the front - probably will go with 1 inch hubcentric spacers on all four wheels to make the track slightly wider.

Hard road ride is pretty bumpy ride if pressure is high (24psi) and then the handling is really mushy with them at 12-13 psi - but its great off-road at that pressure. Tires really hooked-in on the test hill - no wheel spin at all.

I do think they are quite heavy duty - I forgot to weigh one but they seem to be thick walled and well made. A great deal in my opinion - especially since they are USA made!
Attachments
Sambar Mayhem Tires.jpg
Sambar Mayhem Tires.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1310 times
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I also use mine Pinz (and hopefully the haffy soon) in the woods and have had branches puncture Super Swampers more than once - so something really heavy duty would be best. Also - the haffy just fits in the back of my sprinter van with the 6-12 "super-lug" tires I have - so hoping theses skid steers will be similar in overall width but slightly taller and heavier construction - the super-lug tires I got with my haffy are only "2 ply rated" so I expect they will not survive. Probably will use them for sand/snow etc.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Skid Steer tyres just cannot handle any sort of speed - and you can get up to reasonable speeds in a haffie offroad.

I am not sure what you dont like about UTV tyres - they have a wide range of styles and tread patterns and in my view fit well and look great.

Are you on TheHaflinger.com forum - it is dedicated to Haflingers and there is lots of discussion and pics over there on this very topic. Many have (including NA Haffies) UTV tyres and seem to work well.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Sure I searched thehaflinger.com but didn't find much there on skid steer tires.

UTV tires are a good option - but they tend to be wider than I want to use - I haul my haffy with my sprinter van and the tires need to be narrow to fit between the wheel wells. That is what I found interesting about the sampson sidewinder XHD - very narrow without any protruding lugs. Also - none of the UTV tires are designed for narrow rims either.

I realize skid steers don't really go fast - 15 mph is probably top speed - but I also don't put much weight on the tires compared to their ratings.

I rarely exceed 35mph and usually only drive fast for short periods of time (a few minutes) - I wouldn't think that would be an issue for these tires but I guess it is a valid question to ask.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com