Hi lift jack suggestions for a haffie?

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

Hi lift jack suggestions for a haffie?

Post by audiocontr »

I have a LARGE hi-lift for the pinz that's saved my butt a few times, but its too big for the haffie. Do folks generally purchase the smaller version? Is there a better, smaller footprint solution?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Hi lift jack suggestions for a haffie?

Post by Haf-e »

A second person is often sufficient...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

That would require friends. I wonder if i can buy one of those on Amazon?

I'm sure I'll wind up using it more to swap rims while on site vs tossing down a board under a tire. Was hoping to tackle both. Looks like a UTV jack may work fine.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

You might just keep an eye out for a used one - I would go with a real "hi-lift" brand as they need replacement parts occasionally (depending on usage) and off-brands parts can be impossible to find. The length of the jack could be reduced but there isn't that many low jacking points on a haffy - and - you will also end up using it for other peoples jeeps etc who were not as prepared.

A specially cut piece of wood about 1 foot long that will allow lifting anywhere along the sides is very handy to have - the folded sheet metal won't survive directly as a jacking point.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Nice tip! Thanks!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Some examples of mounts in case your thinking about that too?
many other spots to mount too like inside the bed, etc
Interweb photos
Attachments
3-19-2012 3-01-53 PM.jpg
3-19-2012 3-01-53 PM.jpg (73.72 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
3-19-2012 2-27-39 PM.jpg
3-19-2012 2-27-39 PM.jpg (107.91 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
tiziano

Post by tiziano »

Hello,
another idea to fit the Hi-Lift, using the 2 holes for the bumper
Ciao
Tiziano

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Its very easy to slide off the mechanism of the high lift jack to allow storing it in a more protected location - then the rail and base can be mounted externally since they are not affected by dirt and rust.

If you do mount the compete jack on the vehicle - put the heavy end on the passenger side to offset the driver's weight perhaps. Since the Haffy is a light vehicle the weight of the mechanism is somewhat significant - especially if you don't have friends to ride with you (or they are so small they don't weigh much).
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Biggest issue with having a HI-LIFT jack is where to use it on a Haflinger, as already mentioned, the side rails although very inviting to use are just folded sheet steel and likely to bend!

There is a UK Haflinger which had the platform rebuilt using box section for the rails and so can use a HI-LIFT jack with out issue.

There is a chain and hook accessory you can get which would allow you to lift by hooking in to the hole of wheel, but then you can't change that particular wheel as the chain is in the way, but due to the torsional rigidity of the Haf, you could get it high enough to change the other wheel on that side!

There are various scissor type jacks (a bit like the original) with three arms that go up high enough on flat ground to be useable. Should be easy enough to carry a suitable block of wood to put under or on top of the jack if the height is insufficient.

Nice thing about the HI-LIFT jacks is they can be used like a winch, so can recovery your Haf when it finally does get stuck!

John
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

I have had the same hi lift jack for 40 years - and used it today to lift one end of my house aircon system - BUT - they would have to be one of the most dangerous pieces of kit and I have nearly been killed by mine twice - the vehicle falling off the jack due to their unstable nature and the lever hitting me on the head and knocking me out.

A high lift is over kill for a Haffie - if you do not have the standard jack then any scissor jack will work fine - easily fits into one of the tool boxes and will lift either an individual wheel or half the vehicle under a diff.

So forget the hi lift and go a standard car style jack such as a scissor jack or even a hydraulic jack.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Along the same train of thought a small bottle jack with extensions would be great!
I have often looked at the SafeJack kits
https://safejacks.com/collections/bottl ... ottle-jack
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Czechsix
United States of America

Post by Czechsix »

I just use the stock jack, but sometimes I'll throw the safejack system on board.

Stock jack is plenty. But the winch aspect of a hi lift is nice, the danger part is not so nice.
1963 Swiss 700AP, with Black Diamond ATV tires, and a few other mods. "Always under construction".
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

That safe jack looks way of the top! 6 tons! The Haf weight a tenth of that and even if you are loaded up will not be more than 1.5 tons. Just an ordinary car bottle jack and a piece of plywood to put on the ground would do. You could make a saddle for it if you need to.

John
Czechsix
United States of America

Post by Czechsix »

Oh yeah, capacity is un-needed.

Actually, I should take a look at the product - I was talking about an expandable jack stand that he also makes. For the jacking itself, I just use the regular haf jack.

OK, found it. I actually bought an earlier version of this for my RV. Found the guy that makes them, and he was doing a display at the 4x4 show with his first efforts, had a good deal so I bought the kit. Handy thing to have, and primarily for the extension capabilities.
https://safejacks.com/collections/compa ... -stand-kit
1963 Swiss 700AP, with Black Diamond ATV tires, and a few other mods. "Always under construction".