Fitting a winch

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

dusty
Australia

Fitting a winch

Post by dusty »

Hello everyone. I'm in Australia and new to this forum and looking to buy a Haflinger. I understand a 1500 kg winch was offered as a factory part once and am wondering how it would've been mounted? What, if any, modifications/strengthening would be required? Other questions:-
- how do they fare with larger dia' wheels? (say 13 or 14"?
- what range can I expect from the 31 lt fuel tank?
- are there any performance mods worthwhile (without going over the top)?

regards...
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Fitting a winch

Post by Heinkeljb »

Factory winch is very rare, so you are not very likely to come across a Haflinger with the PTO and a winch on it.
37843725_1863705490318896_4522202964680507392_n.jpg
37843725_1863705490318896_4522202964680507392_n.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Standard engine (643cc) will work with either 13 or 14 inch wheel if you keep the outside diameter close to the original 12 inch wheel & tyre diameter. The original tyre 12 x 165 Semprite or Mayola have very large side walls compared to modern tyres, but that improve comfort and grip over rough terrain compared to a smaller side walled tyre. Limiting factor is rubbing on bodywork during turning and articulation. Another downside would be that the amount of torque available would reduce as the wheel diameter goes up and you don't start with that much!
Top speed might increase a bit, but low speed would also suffer.
Generally I get the low 20 mpg (imperial) just driving around town. Nearer 30 mpg if driving long distance on fairly flat terrain when I go to Treffens.
Performance?
Well with 643cc and if your lucky 27HP a Haflinger is never going to be a speed merchant - it you have the highest gearing available, you are looking at a theoretical top speed of 47 mph (according to the factory). You can bore the engine out a bit to give you an bit more torque, but overall, you are limited by the gearing from the gearbox to the portal hubs which means you are still going to stuck around the 50mph mark - If you put a higher revving engine in, then you could get higher top speed, BUT anyone who has driven a Haflinger will tell you it gets scary going that fast down a hill - Brakes and narrow track don't help inspire confidence at that speed!

Having said all that, they are great fun to drive, you actually have to think a bit. A pain to own when they go wrong - lots of weird design quirks - but overall worth the smile on the face when they are working well and used with in their capabilities.

John
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Wel....they had from factory a winchmount up front as a option and i think they had a line of ramsey winches ( 2 or 3 models) .
The one in the picture was a option to and was used ias farming and the uk marine used them as well :mrgreen:

You could go with TR pistons ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steyr-Puch-Haf ... 3694374508 ) to get a higher compression to make it a bit more powerfull, but this depends on what type of engine you have...serie one serie two..they all look the same from the outside but are a bit different inside....like different camshafts :mrgreen:

This came with mine : Image
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Well i have checked my catalog and theres no mention of a winch mount to put up front, but there is also no mention of the winch that sits under the left side of the haflinger...i know they had to give up one seat to mount it .
Only thing i can find is the PTO assambly for the gearbox and levers.
The winch on the side dous appear in a cattalog where you find the snowplug and welder ??? :mrgreen: