Mag style lug nuts

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Mag style lug nuts

Post by pinzinator »

I bought a set of Fiat wheels for the Haflinger. I am finding out that it is impossible to find the correct lug nuts to bolt these wheels to the stock lug, which is 10 x 1.5, acorn nuts will not work (lug-centric is why). Any suggestions from those who have used this type of wheel on the Haflinger? Perhaps a golf cart lug nut is available?
I could change the lugs, but then I could not use the factory wheels, and I would like to be able to use both sets of wheels.
SAM. C.

Fiat Wheels

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi Pinzinator

I was wondering how you got on with your Fiat rims and what model Fiat are they off? I was wondering if the rims off of a Fiat 850 1969 model would fit. I may have a chance to get some the tyre size is 165x70x13. I will need to have a closer look but I wondered if you may know off of the top of your head.

When you say lug centric. Does that mean your Fiat wheels do not have the correct size hole to sit on the locating boss on the hub?

Sam
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I've running steel Fiat wheels for years without any trouble or special lug nuts. I do not know if any special lug nuts are needed for alloy rims.
But make sure that the rims are for a Fiat, the pattern is 4 x 98mm ( an old pattern). There are a bunch of vehicles that use 4 x 100mm ( current manufacture) and that is a problem, and assuming it is close enough, is not!
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

If you want to use the aluminum X/19 wheel you will have to have lug nuts made if you want to retain the factory lug bolts. Here's what the nut looks like, made by a machinist in St. Louis-

This is a Fiat wheel held on by that one nut. I didn't have the other 15 nuts made until I could make sure this would work, and it does-

I would consider this lug centric, as the hub doesn't not bear the weight of the vehicle.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Rich,
I see you took advantage of changing the subject line. :wink:
As you found out, there is a big difference between steel and the alloy rims. This is true for lots of factory rims. Even factory alloy wheels for Defenders had to be supported while changing tires.

Also, the style of rims that are made to close fit to hub are call "pilot hole" rims . On large truck rims, you can guide the rim over the hub and easily line up the lugs without having to support the rim..... it use to be that factory Ford rims on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups would not fit over the hub on a Chevy. So there was no standard for the center ridge of the hubs between manufacturers. Aftermarket rim manufacturers make their rims with the largest pilot hole neede to meet all auto manufacturers so only one rim is needed for all.

The lug centric and hub centric is reference to how the rim had to be balanced. This has been the problem withsome Pinz rims since the pilot hole wasn't concentric to the rim or lug holes
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here's my latest set of Fiat wheels for the Haflinger. I plan to paint them the same color as the body, which is tan. I already have a green set, as shown above. I'm only buying tires for one set, however. Should I mount the green or tan wheels, let's see some hands on this.

Here's what the Haflinger looks like, should I go with tan or green wheels?

M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I say green and it looks great! All I've done with mine was to have adapters made to use Rhino wheels. They're not dot legal,but they clear great, 2" taller and super traction
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy