modular roll cage

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

griff1218

modular roll cage

Post by griff1218 »

I have been getting ready for the upcoming Haflinger Treffen in Willow Creek and put this together for some added protection for occupants.

1-3/4" x.120 DOM tubing was mandrel bent and welded to base 2x2 angle iron and fastened each side by 3 bolts through existing side panel holes in box frame.
Attachments
rc1a.jpg
rc1a.jpg (55.26 KiB) Viewed 841 times
rc4.jpg
rc4.jpg (88.21 KiB) Viewed 841 times
rc3.jpg
rc3.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 841 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: modular roll cage

Post by TechMOGogy »

Very nice - that will do the trick!
On another note -what size rims/tires are you running in that picture?
and if possible how much ground clearance do you have with that size tire?
Thanks,
Dan
it is real long shot at this point but I would love to be going (Haflingers and Bigfoot - who could ask for anything more!)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I had the same thought about rollover safety and on my Swiss military Haflinger, I had a rollcage fabricated that was intended to resemble that of a Pinzgauer. At the same time, since I am 6'3" tall, I had the front window frame enlarged so that the height of both the window and rollcage is increased to allow better room for me and my passengers.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Scott,
How much does your roll cage unit weigh? I have been working on a design for a lightweight rear canopy for our 703APK but I may want to rethink that idea. A similar rack to yours would allow for a weight bearing roof in addition to roll over protection.
See you soon.
Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
griff1218

Post by griff1218 »

The wheels are off of a fiat of some type. I picked them up off of craiglist. This style works with stock lug nuts. The tires are 185/80 r13. They are snow tire tread available at any local tire place in my area. I think the ground clearance is increased about 2".
TechMOGogy wrote:Very nice - that will do the trick!
On another note -what size rims/tires are you running in that picture?
and if possible how much ground clearance do you have with that size tire?
Thanks,
Dan
it is real long shot at this point but I would love to be going (Haflingers and Bigfoot - who could ask for anything more!)
griff1218

Post by griff1218 »

I would guess it weighs about fifty pounds. Yesterday, Michelle and I unloaded the cage from my enclosed trailer and carried down the ramp and into the shop for paint with ease.

My original plan was to make it taller. But I wanted to be able to drive it into my enclosed trailer and the stock height clears by less than an inch. Plus 5'7" is tall in my family.
Jim Molloy wrote:Scott,
How much does your roll cage unit weigh? I have been working on a design for a lightweight rear canopy for our 703APK but I may want to rethink that idea. A similar rack to yours would allow for a weight bearing roof in addition to roll over protection.
See you soon.
Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com