Steyr-BMW Haflinger....

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

berger
Canada

Steyr-BMW Haflinger....

Post by berger »

While in Weare, NH this past weekend I saw two Steyrs...a 710M and a Haffy. This Haffy had a BMW Isetta engine in it.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
westernair
United States of America

Re: Steyr-BMW Haflinger....

Post by westernair »

PLease Hafy people do share about this. Is this a owner mod or did some of these little trucks come this way? I am in the market still for one and know nothing about a BMW variant.
Thanks
Shawn
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Owner mod
Would that not be WAY under powered?? :shock:
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Yes, it was an owner mod. The older gentleman who built it replaced the motor as he also owns Isettas.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

TechMOGogy wrote:Owner mod
Would that not be WAY under powered?? :shock:
I was thinking the same thing.....is this really an upgrade? Maybe just did it to say..."hey, I did it". :?:
1972 710m
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Good morning to all,
I took the liberty to forward the link to this tread to a couple of the Yahoo Groups Microcar forums. The only response thus far is that the motor is most likely from a BMW700. Those engines are 697cc and put out 32bhp @ 5000rpm and 32 ft.lb @ 3400rpm in standard trim (single carb and 7.5:1 C.R). A factory sport model used dual carbs and a 9.0:1 C.R. producing 40bhp.

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/02/13/unr ... -bmw-700s/

It would be interesting to see more detailed photos of the conversion. Any idea who currently owns this truck?

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Ok since we are on the topic of owner motor mods. Does anyone know if a air cooled VW motor would fit in one of these trucks? Also pros and cons to doing this swap? VW motors are cheap, readily available and can create ample hp.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Willy Wiley

Post by Willy Wiley »

The motor is from a BMW 700 which is the same as the one in my BMW Farmobil.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Shawn,
Steyr-Puch actually fabricated a prototype flat four boxer for eventual use in Haflingers. I have seen one example in a museum display and one in a rare 6x6 Haflinger variant. As far as VW motors go, this have been done a handful of times. This is far from a simple bolt-in conversion. You woul have to design a trans-to-engine adapter that would allow the use of a starter motor where one was never used before. I suppose the other option would be to attempt to spin the VW motor with the Steyr-Puch (Bosch) Dynastart. Custom flywheel fabrication would be required. The engine would protrude out the back of the engine bay reducing your departure angle. I beleive the Type one cooling tin is also taller than that of the origianl Haflinger motor. There is also the question of how much power you want to send through the small yet very expensive transmission.

Personally, if I were in need of engine replacement and an original unit was out of the question, I would opt for either one of the readily available gasoline powered air cooled V twins in the 25-27hp range or, better yet, the air cooled diesel V-twins like the HT812D units.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMv-Lu_-_kE

These would also require fabrication of adapter plates and flywheels as well but the starter issue is resolved and their size more handily fits in the original space. If standard power were lacking, one could always do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4gZrXx ... re=related

I am actually quite pleased with the power output of the standard Steyr-Pch motors. Their engines can be increased form the stock 643cc up to 750cc and even a whopping 823cc with big bore pistons/cylinders and a stroker crankshaft.

Hope this helps.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Good point about the transmission Jim. Not to mention broken hub gears & housings. I'll never understand what drives people to want to butcher a perfectly good Haflinger with such bizarre modifications. There is nothing to be gained other than devaluing the truck and breaking more parts. Too bad 'cause this Haffy looks to be in pretty good shape otherwise. Perhaps I shouldn't complain as the more Haflingers that get "modified" the more valuable the fully original trucks become. :)
Just my 2 cents,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

That Hafi is owned by Dick Vecchiarelli, who is from MA. This truck has made the rounds to many car shows here in New England. He's a BMW micro-car nut.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

Talking of engine swaps and breaking parts... I've had a 1.4 litre (about 52hp, I think) diesel out of a Citreon in my Haffy now for about 20 years, done some pretty hard 4wdriving in it, turning big tractor lug style tyres and never broke a thing. Might be small running gear, but must be strong as it all still runs sweet as a nut. Had to build the body out a bit at the back to accommodate a bit of extra length with the engine and lost a bit of ground clearance, but the extra power more than made up for it.
DougLennox
Australia

Post by DougLennox »

Hey Ian, what's the chance of putting some photo's of your haffie on here?
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

DougLennox wrote:Hey Ian, what's the chance of putting some photo's of your haffie on here?
Not looking as good as it once did but nevertheless there's a couple here

stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I love that stone house.....simple architectural perfection, much like our trucks!
1972 710m