Haflinger trailer

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Haflinger trailer

Post by pinzinator »

I recently bought a 5 X 8 trailer to haul the Haflinger with. The Pinzgauer is set up with the correct hitch, the HHR was used just for these photos. Andre made the 2" receiver.

Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Haflinger trailer

Post by Heinkeljb »

Does having the front end of the Haflinger that fr over the pivot point on the trailer give the correct nose weigth on the hitch?
Not really a problem for a Pinz, but a more ordinary vehicle probably would only like 50kgs or so on the trailer hitch.

John
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I'm guessing the tongue weight would be within range for safe towing since most of the Haflinger's weight is in the rear. I will weigh it sometime next week and let everyone know.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

50kg?!?!
That seems really low to me unless it is a class 1 car hitch.
My wife's Toyota Highlander hitch spec is 500lbs (227kg) tongue weight
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Arriving at my local 4wd Club Show n Tell this morning.

I considered going a specific trailer but I found the box trailer is also good for other uses like taking rubbish to the tip etc.

With an 8x5 trailer and the Haffie on front first, the balance of the trailer is good - not sure what the nose weight is but it feels both right in the Big Truck (the Haffie is Little Truck) and when being towed with my Range Rover.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

UK traffic laws being what they are, you can tow up to 750KGs using a braked trailer on an ordinary car licence using a car / trailer with GTW of 3500KGs. (Any trailer {with a payload of} over 500KGs requires brakes). So average car at 1.0 ~ 1.5 tons can safely tow a braked trailer with Haflinger on it, but your average car does not have a heavy duty tow hitch and even if it did, to much nose weight would a) either overload the rear springs and / or b) lift the front wheels making the steering light.

I know this is not relevant to those who use Pinz type vehicles, but I have seen some very dodgy Landrover / Shogun type vehicles with the front wheels barely on the road due to over heavy nose weight on the trailer they were towing!

All I was curious about was what nose weight you got from the position of the Haflinger in that sort of trailer.

John
Last edited by Heinkeljb on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Heinkeljb wrote:All I was curious about was what nose weight you got from the position of the Haflinger in that sort of trailer.

John
We have similar laws to the UK - hence I put brakes on my trailer to carry the Haffie.

I have not measured ball weight on my setup as it will be well less than the requirements of any of my tow vehicles but I would estimate to be around 100kgs - when the on the jockey wheel I can just momentary (very momentarily) lift the front of the trailer by myself so that would be in the order of 80-100kgs.

My vehicles have a max tow ball weight of 350kgs and the trailer coupling is rated at 2000kg.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"