Registration of a Haflinger

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

cascade.king

Registration of a Haflinger

Post by cascade.king »

Oooh boy.. The DMV is NOT a place for the timid when it comes to Haflinger registration.

I had the day off, and finally made time to register my Haflinger (along with a renewal of my license due to the new EDL mandate) and was pretty shocked by the wierd informational hurdles I had to jump through.

Now bare in mind I live in a VERY liberal DMV state. No titles are issued on vehicles 15 years old or older, making it THE destination for lost title processing companies and individuals looking to get their old cars back on the road. As long as you have a serial #/VIN and a bill of sale, you are good to go.

The DMV agent was very nice, and really was keen on doing her job. But..

Steyr Puch.. Not in the system.
Haflinger.. Not in the system.
Is this an actual DOT approved vehicle?
4 wheel drive?

Its a pickup truck.. No?
How many cylinders? Top speed? Fuel type? How many doors? Does it have a bed? How many seats? How many belts?
Is it rare?
I bet if it's rare you are gonna pay more in tax than you think .. It's based on the classic car guide valuation.

After a 12 minute sidebar with her supervisor, she announced "well.. You win! It's not in the book, so we will calculate the tax based on purchase price. Sooooooo.. You are all set."

Finally, registered as a pleasure car, classified under "utility" with what passes for an early version of "stow-n-go" rear seating.

Yikes.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Registration of a Haflinger

Post by Profpinz »

Great story! ....Sounds all too familiar.

To travel on certain roads ("freeways") around Melbourne it's user pay, so you either have to have an electronic tag in the car or what they call an access card (when you use the road, payment is credited to your credit card via "Access") ....three (3) cars can be used on each Access card.

Some years ago I rang up the organise access for my vehicles.....
The women on the other said what is the first vehicle and I said a Range Rover.....No problem.
Second vehicle.......A Pinzgauer. A "WHAT" she said! P I N Z G A U E R.
Hmmmm......it's not on my list. Who make it?... I said Steyr Puch .....Who?????
So off she went to chat to her Supervisor.
Numerous questions later we still hadn't solved the problem, so the Supervisor eventually said......."We'll call it a Range Rover too, is that OK with you"
I said it was fine and I didn't care what it was called as long as I didn't get fined when I drove the Pinny on the road.
Finally after that was all sorted she said what's the third vehicle, and I said a Haflinger.....she said a WHAT?????

........and before I could say hardly anything thing else she said we'll call that a Range Rover too, so I have three Range Rovers :D 8) :lol:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Bureaucracy at it's best!

Nice computer programs to make it quick and easy to administer things, but no method of dealing with the unexpected!

John
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

When I purchased my 2nd Hafi out of PA it was registered as a J**P :shock: on its title
Poor thing - I ended up selling it and from what I understand the new owner got that part removed when re titled in Ontario :mrgreen:

Now as for registering here - all you need to do is tell them who makes it, model, type, color, doors and weight and they just type it in - easy to register Hafi's, Pinzi's and Mogs - you just have to pay insane taxes and fees in Canada!!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker