amp regulator?

All things Volvo body and electrical!
bababiscuit
United States of America

amp regulator?

Post by bababiscuit »

howdy all...anyone know if there is an amperage regulator in addition to the voltage regulator on a 24v tgb11?...if i replace the stock alternator with a modern, internally regulated alternator with greater amperage output, can the stock wiring handle it or am I going to run into other issues?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: amp regulator?

Post by Jimm391730 »

Alternators put out current, the amount is controlled by the voltage regulator. The regulator aims to make the batteries in the 27-28 volt range. If the batteries are low, the regulator tells the alternator to put out more current which makes the battery voltage higher, and then cuts back on the current once the voltage is at the right value.

Once the batteries are up to the right voltage, turning on a load (lots of lights, a winch, etc.) causes the battery voltage to drop. The regulator then tells the alternator to put out more current to get the voltage back where it should be. If the load is continuous then the amperage from the alternator is continuous, too, to keep everything powered at the right voltage.

Assuming the new alternator is not beer keg sized, the wiring should be able to deal with the (possible) higher current. It all depends on how much load you put on the electrical system.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
bababiscuit
United States of America

Post by bababiscuit »

Great, that's very helpful, thank you!
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

I am picking up my new 24V 140A one wire alternator tomorrow. Ran me $190 and should drop in just like the stock SEV Marchal. Of course the voltage regulator etc will go away at this point and I will only have one wire to the battery and one wire to the charge light.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Just slapped in the new alt, seems to work very well so far. Time will tell how it holds up.
ranicotra
United States of America

Post by ranicotra »

Dokatd: can you provide more information regarding a brand and part # for a direct bolt in modern alternator ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Had mine built custom from a Delco core. It's a standard off the shelf casing that can be found all over. My alt shop converted it to 24V. Alt has been working very well so far, I am very happy with the swap.

AppleTech
United States of America

Post by AppleTech »

What shop did you have this alternator created it? I’d love to do this as well.