TGB 1111 Electrical fault

All things Volvo body and electrical!
6cyltdi

TGB 1111 Electrical fault

Post by 6cyltdi »

I had my wiper motor out to fit a new shaft. on refitting some wires were mixed up and on test something went pop. All wires are correct now, I have tried swapping all obvious fuses and relays but have not found the fault. I have lost headlights, the other wiper, indicators etc. Sidelights are working and hazards and the flash function for high beam. Can anyone help point me in the direction of what has blown???
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: TGB 1111 Electrical fault

Post by M Wehrman »

I have the same problem after a cab swap. I have 4 wiper motors and don't know which one if any are good.Could be wiring or motor.Good thing for Rainex and the fact it doesn't rain much here! If someone could be a hero and take close-up pic of wiring and colors that would be great for both of us! :)
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

This is a generic diagnostic method for most Euro vehicle electrical systems
If you have a schematic, it will identify the the locations of the wires to numbered terminals on the components.
Powerflow for Euro vehicles usually start at the key switch(ignition) Terminal 30 is usually battery power, 15 is ignition on power.
Power flows from ignition switch to component switch, then through circuit fuse, then on to component. Use a test light to follow power.Look for dirty or burnt connections and fuse holders. Try unplugging and replugging connectors of suspect circuits to confirm connections, test for power on both sides of switches and fuses.
Now get to work :!:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

And don't count on a wire being a wire; many automotive electrical systems used "fusable links" which are wires that are intended to act like a fuse but look like an ordinary wire. In Jim's example, if somehow the power shorted at the component switch (which is before the fuse) then the whole wiring harness could melt down and/or cause a fire. Often these areas use fusable links as protection of last resort.

So if you have power at one end of a wire, and no power at the other end of the wire, and connections look good, then suspect the wire itself.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
ranicotra
United States of America

Post by ranicotra »

Can anybody tell me where to get a replacement shaft for the wiper motor ?
Uli-RT
Germany

Post by Uli-RT »

There are no shafts available.
And Rainex does not work on the Volvo frontwindow, because the angle of the window ist to steep and the wind can not blow away the raindrops.
I had one wiper motor I used a threaded rod (M8) to replace the shaft. Worked well till the motor itself broke.
The only thing you can do is preventive maintenance. Disassemble the gearing of the motor and grease it. Easy and fast job.
And no more problems in the future with the gearing.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

This seems like an inexpensive alternative: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... A&catname=
Jim M.
712W and 710M