Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by geckoadventure »

3 April 2016

Quick trip up Sunday morning to Ipoh 190k whizzes past quite fast.

Today's goal is to finish the soundproofing in the cabin and then move on to whatever is left.

First install the last turbo cooling pipe adapter for the 10mm to 8mm tubes.

My helper today is little Jo.

We both tackle the soundproofing until we realise we are out with 1-2 sheets needed. The little cabin has consumed 8 sheets. So we move onto the doors and remove the door handles ready for powdercoating.

Then the puppy decides he wants lots of attention from Joe

Seats are fixed up after we realise a base is not screwed in corretly.

Then the doorhandles are stripped with the wire wheel.

End of the day we have 90% of the soundproofing done.

Suddenly it's hometime.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

9 April 2016 - Saturday

3 day to IPO starts with a late Friday night trip to Ipoh as it'ss last weekend of Cheng Meng (chinese grave cleaning). Traffic is poop.

Fit the powdercoated left side of the dash but the bolt holes don't line up looks like I gottaa make another an oversight it's 30 mm too low so there is a gap between the dash and the window frame.

Then I fit the centre console for a fit before putting in the fuse box and wiring.

I also need to go get 5mm button bolts we have none in the shop.

Then it's time to put the new power steering together for a dry fit as I try to round up the parts. Takes me a while to figure it out. Then I have 3 parts still to find. Find them when Brett turn up later on Saturday evening in a box I would have not looked in lol. Dry fit completed.

Then I pull out of the parts boxes a much needed bonus a 180degree bend and it fits the turbo bonus.

10 April 2016 - SUnday

Remaking panel time. The errant panel being recut.

Fit the fuse box's and wiring to the centre console.

After lunch its fitted to the cabin

Then I look at the right side of the dash and decide mods are needed fo the warning lights.

Remaking time 20 minutes later I have the rough shape ready.

A few spare minutes gives me time to remove the rest of the body filler from the door to expose the reason for the body filler. Pop rivets from the police screens just body filler over. They will now be drilled out and filled with lead over the coming weeks a home.

11 April 2016 - Monday

By lunchtime I have the air cond blower holes ready and working and the bolt holes drilled to match this time.

Power steering fit test damn the 90deg fittings have to go and be replaced by straight ones.

Then the big mistake - someone left the top panel of the centre console on the floor for a couple of years its ruined with moisture. I have to remake and out of 2mm alloy this time not 1mm.

The truck looks a lot more complete.

Then it's hometime its 6pm.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

16 April 2016 - Saturday

Everything goes bad wake up late, on road late by 75 min and hit the 7am traffic 2.5 hours later one frustrated KIWI with a ISUZU with hot brakes pulls up at the workshop with a happy puppy delighted to see me. Oh yeah and the wife came along to visit her mum in IPOH also bitched the whole way about my driving.

After the morning Mum greetings etc. Down to the worksop. First parts collection go fix the power steering hoses and swap the elbow bends for straights and get them relamped and purchase gasket glue for fitting the sump. Then the air conditioning hose needs to be found and purchased that turns into nightmare 2 shops dissappear into dead ends with WAZE and then I fluke a 4x4/air cond shop however since my car is not being serviced by them the service guy starts yelling at the shop lady in cantonese and I stand there lisening to strings of cantonese being rattled off like a machine gun. Eventually she rings someone I assume the shop owner and I get 8 feet for an outrageous price. Then need bolts over to the bolt shop for a minor success. it's now pm when I arrive at workshop again so straight to lunch instead. Actually it's LUNCH from FRIDAY and DINNER and SATURDAYS breakfast. Yeah yesterday was a bitch in the office.

First job create a J bracket to hold the blower as curently it HANGS by 2 brackets. Yeah
someone did not finish the blower stuff off properly. Takes me all arvo to create this as I not want to drill a hole in the front of the CABIN as that was the easy way to create a rust hole later. So it take 4 hours of stuffing around just after 5pm I have a nasty bracket made up ready to paint.

Painted and drill 2 holes up under the dash mount the 2 RIVNUTs and then it all bolts together and the blower hoses also fit however we will need to put the window wiper arms in there is no room. So I will have to make up 2 Y joints for the drivers side to provide more space for the wiper kit. The blower doen't shake so the design holds up.

The hoses in place ready for the air conditioning contractor to finish off.

The clutchmaster cylinder and the master brake booster etc have also been fitted and still needs a little finishing.

6pm time fed the puppy etc now to find a hotel and food. Now that's a bad idea 4 beers and a nice chinese later I literaly stagger upstairs for a well eaned proper sleep. Wife went home in the train.

Tomorrow is the air conditioning condenser fit.

17 April 2016 - Sunday

Morning no breakfast woke up too late. Faactory is opened for me 8.30am 9.00am I come back from breakfast to start.

Todays task make these 4 pieces into one joined unit and bolted to the service hatch. Intercooler, Air cond condenser and the shroud and the fan.

The fan has nothing its bare. So 10 brackets (and 10 round down bolts made up) need to be made and fit the shroud to the air cond condenser and the condenser to the intercooler.

I finish about 5pm and bolting it down the FAN Breaks damn, falling off a few months back and hitting Pete on the head then the floor cracked it. Now I gotta order a new one.

Then it's time to fit the sump after sitting on the shop floor for 3 years. I can fill it with oil next trip.

Next trip is on 7th May. I have charity work next weekend and then 4x4 driver training the May long weekend. I take the doors home with me for leading at home.

Parts ordered for clutch slave cylinder and copper piping to connect it all up. I will also start the brakes and next trip finish the gearbox mounts and all the small things needing to be done. Next round of Tanaka parts will have been ordered and shipped.Oh yeah the fan is ordered and ready to pickup.

Centre console will be ready and as also will the speaker brackets along with the service hatch panels all of the above being lazer cut.

7pm hometime its a crawl 3 hours home.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

With the amount of work you are finally getting done, you need to be able to spend a whole week working on it.... and it will be finished and ready to drive!

Even so, you are managing far more than all your previous mechanic's seem to have managed in 3 years.

Keep it going, you are nearly there.

John
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

Fantastic project!! Its really good seeing it all come together now.
I've recently bought a C304 TGB1314 6X6 that is left hand drive and given I'm in Australia I would like to convert it to right hand drive. Could you suggest any contacts in Malaysia where I could source some right hand drive steering parts like tie rods, drag link etc?
Cheers
Nick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Nick S wrote:Fantastic project!! Its really good seeing it all come together now.
I've recently bought a C304 TGB1314 6X6 that is left hand drive and given I'm in Australia I would like to convert it to right hand drive. Could you suggest any contacts in Malaysia where I could source some right hand drive steering parts like tie rods, drag link etc?
Cheers
Nick

If you want RHD I think I can get there is one up at present I have a quote in on the windows and gearbox etc and co chassis left only body and rear tray
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

Great, thanks for the quick reply. If you can get the steering bits for right hand drive I would be really interested. We can work out costs and shipping after you know what's available. If you could PM a contact phone number I'll give you a call so that I don't clog up this build thread
Nick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Heinkeljb wrote:With the amount of work you are finally getting done, you need to be able to spend a whole week working on it.... and it will be finished and ready to drive!

Even so, you are managing far more than all your previous mechanic's seem to have managed in 3 years.

Keep it going, you are nearly there.

John
Well not his fault I have seen the labour issues here. We are having a skilled local worker issue lack of skilled manual labour worker and also attitude. Once guy decided last week after I left on mnday to take the next 3 days off and another was away all week. The govnt started brining in cheap foreign labout about 2 years ago now locals will not work beside cheaper labour as its seen to be degrading everyone wants to be a manager in a office telling people what to do else your a failure.

Foriegn labour now hard to get due to the curent banning of foreign labour work permits. Many companies resortin to using illegales. Most factories running 25% short on staff. Poor guy is n the shop floor doing work and not in the office doing quotes and desining hi new products etc

When I retire im tempted to open my own restoreation workshop and get away from the IT world completely.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

How about combining the two? Set up a business doing restorations, and installing Sat nav / communications / etc?

By the sounds of things, finding and keeping a good labour force will be your biggest headaches! Pay them well and give them nice sounding titles might help...Engineer instead of technician,

John
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

You're an animal. All of it looks like its coming together great. I can't express more how being in charge of the build and the budget really gets things done.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

17 May 016

Not much to report

Attended a medical mission in the jungle so lost a weekend.

Then took a bunch of kids from the orphanage for May day weekend to the beach for camping so lost a weekend but the kids are more important.

Then I got sick turns out is the heart again (however this time I could not feel the irregular beat) so I have lost 2 weekends working on the truck however spending 3 days in hospital and then a week off work gave me time to work on stuff

doodled the fridge and campin kitchen slideouts all I need is a couple of dimensions to finish it and get it lazer cut and then construct it.

Then I managed to purchase the first batch of switches I need for the switch panel.

The doodled slide out panels plan. Test bearings etc have been obtained so I can test measurements and bolt/nut configurattions.

If i'm OK this weekend and the heart stops beating as irratically this week then I will go work on the truck. Else I will be doodling a final plan for the slide out drawers.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Where/how did you get switches with all those legends? I need a source for those! Please share!
Thanks, Jim
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Jimm391730 wrote:Where/how did you get switches with all those legends? I need a source for those! Please share!
Thanks, Jim
Over the River and Through the Woods: http://www.otrattw.net

I've bought a few from them and am very pleased with the Carling switches. It just takes a bit of study to determine which series of rockers fit which switches.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Jimm391730 wrote:Where/how did you get switches with all those legends? I need a source for those! Please share!
Thanks, Jim
Search for Carling switches on the web and you should find something close to home.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Thank you both!
Jim M.
712W and 710M