Volvo 2 - What not another one - WR6973

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Volvo 2 - What not another one

Post by geckoadventure »

29 May 20186

Public holiday so I worked in the morning and then head off to the workshop 10 minutes away.

Allen was there working on his Pinz. Only one thing to do tap the roof dents more. Then it was lunchtime at restaurant "Silly Billys" how apt.After lunch they started welding up the holes in the cabin but the welds were not sticking on the back panel due to the rust content. So we marked the strip covered by the channel and I cut it out. We are going to weld a new complete rear panel on after I clean the rust up with PYE.

Then it was back to the roof tapping until 5.30pm its starting to look ok 3-4 more hours and the roof might be finished and shaped and smooth.

We discussed how to fix the rear panel I might have to make pieces by hand to weld in.

The rear panel after I perform the surgeons cut.

The roof damage is slowly being pushed back to the factory standard.

Jim your next challenge is to remove all the rust from the bolt on rear panel by 30 JUne else it will rust away. This tape will self desctruct in 5 seconds lol.

More rear bolt on panel damage.

Good news is the Cabin bottom is being loaded onto the boat tomorrow.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Make a tray big enough to take the panel, line it with plastic so you can cover the whole panel in a citric acid solution which will remove all the rust for you, cheaper than getting it sand blasted.

John
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Heinkeljb wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm Make a tray big enough to take the panel, line it with plastic so you can cover the whole panel in a citric acid solution which will remove all the rust for you, cheaper than getting it sand blasted.

John
I am now considering this suggestion for the roof channels there is a small amount of visible rust but i'm wary of what might be inside the channel. Thankyou,
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

30 May 2018

The cabin is on the way from Sweden to Malaysia roughly 4 weeks before it arrives in Kuala Lumpur.

It looks pretty good
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

2 June 2018

I have been given during the week 3 months freedom to drive and travel etc then if my heart does not improve I'm under the knife if the heart does not return to normal rythmical level i'm having an operation of some sort. I had a long chat with the Cardio and he believes firmly that the cause of my heart issues is my extreme cycling adventures over the years.

Volvo 1 had 2 days work done on it this week also and it's alnost ready to start.

Cabin day, first I go out and hunt down a brand new engine oil cooler and fan it's put in the storage box in the workshop. The ATF cooler I collect during the week.

I tap away on the cabin for over 2 hours and it's pretty straight now by the bit I have tapped out is out 1mm more than I need for it to be flush all the way along. The right side is flush. I will try and fix it next weekend some more with a small amount of heat.

The right side I have fixed the old wound which also got welded by previous offenders and is difficult to tap out. The rest can be body filled.

After a hour sleep due to the heart saying enough and giving me cronic fatigue in the opressive heat I'm refreshed and ready to go.

Then I tip the cabin over and applied the PYE rust converted 2 layers into the cut made last week and cleanup all the welds by flapper wheeling them flush.

Every other old rust scars are PYE treated the same to prevent the rust coming back. I'm told the new rear panels will be here next week to weld on.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

14 July 2018

LIfe been busy 5 days with the orphanage kids on a kayaking training camp then working last 3 weekends and next 2 sigh.

However meantime the freight company contacts me 12th July the Container arrives and delivery will be around 17th July.

The 13th 2pm I get a OCS message with pics on it the Cabin bottom has been delivered to the workshop. Wow less than 24 hours in dock and it's delivered.

I pop over after work and spend 90 minutes pulling the crate apart. The cabin looks immaculate.

Then Saturday I popped in and we move the cabin to the newly built Volvo 2 bay in the workshop

Any illussions on whether I should have bought the cabin are squashed by this pic.

Will be 3 weeks before I can do anything to Volvo 2.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Wow that looks mint. Gotta be happy with that!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

21 July 2018

Working today so morning rush out have nice breakfast then and do shopping errands. Collect the new race seats for the Volvo and deliver them before heading to the office but not after going to the Garmin shop to sort out the continuing insane issues with the crap product the GArmin 585 GPS and its associated software. Then its 12.00am in the office and again at 4am to 8am sigh,

Andrew has been busy measuring up the rear panel to get the template ready to have it laser cut.

After working the last 3 weekends I'm worn out.

It's going to be 3 weeks before I can work on the VOlvo unless I finish the deadline Tuesday So I can have Saturday on the Volvo before I work the night shift sigh.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

5 August 2018

Worked the last 4 weekends I have no idea which day it is. But quitely in the background Andrew has been weaving his magic on Volvo 2.

Since the front panel was 2 piece Andrew replicated it exactly - no I'm not replacing the orignal 1.2mm with a single 2mm front plate. Side view of the two plates joined.

Side view of the two plates joined.

Old front panel was removed from the top panel.

Now it's ready to be welded in.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

11 August 2018

Wife went to screen printing class I went to work on Volvo 2. Axle assembley day.

Took us 4 hours but eventually we got the axles assembled. Now I have to go buy 24 new diff lock nuts and replace every diff nut one at a time. Then every portal bolt - 8 per wheel as some of them are shwoing signs of stretching and wear from the portal bolts not being kept tight or locktighted by the previous abusers used on them they have worked their way loose and are now useless.

Landcruiser II Discs and callipers adorn the portals and all new bearings all round.

Front axle

Rear axle.

Oh I also bought Volvo 3 now affectionately know as Volvo 4. Went half's with my buddy the boat builder. Delivery is Wednesday.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Glutton for punishment arn't you! You haven't even driven one of your collection yet! Who's going to do most of the work on Volvo No 3 or is that No 4? Which workshop is it going to? Maybe you should think about getting Volvo No 1 to the same place..... might get it finished then! :lol:

Seriously, Keep it going. I enjoy reading your posts - make my trials and tribulations with my Haflinger Lurch pale in comparison.

John
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Actually Volvo 2 and 4 were bought because they came up for sale and the price was rught.

Volvo 4 I was approached by the owner who has visited VOlvo 1 and knew I would restore VOlvo 4 not just chop it up for the portal axles which happened to 2 more I made offers on recently. Very soon the 6 we have between the 3 of us may be the only Volvos left running in Malaysia.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

After the kids home kayaking trip which was 2 weekends and a week away then working weekends in the office for the previous 5 weeks im looking forward to working on Volvo 2 today and what mess I have with Volvo 4. This long weekend is the first weekend to myself in over 8 weeks I'm enjoying the rest.

Volvo 4 will get an engine and gearbox - either a landrover V8 and or a Landrover 300TDI engine and auto. The other choice is the Nissan Chairmans 4.5l V8 which are dead cheap here.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

1 September 2018

Long weekend and I gave myself 3 days complete rest after the long hours at work then the kids home kayaking trip I decided rest was needed.

Went and visted Volvo 2 and 4 while they welded up the mighty Isuzu's exhaust.

They have completed installing the Axles under the chassis and it's standing back on its sneakers.

The cabin front panel is welded in and looks completely factory. Only the "A" piller repair remains/

The engine mounts look like they are getting closer to being completed.
Volvo 4 looks bad in places but definately not as bad as VOlvo 2 was.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

New thread for Volvo 4 (remind us again, what happened to Volvo 3?)

John