Volvo 2 - What not another one - WR6973

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Volvo 2 - What not another one

Post by geckoadventure »

Heinkeljb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 am New thread for Volvo 4 (remind us again, what happened to Volvo 3?)

John
Volvo 3 in our little group is owned by the guy who has gone 50% in Volvo 4 with me.

Volvo 4 and 2 will be identical clones except the Engines.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Heinkeljb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 am New thread for Volvo 4 (remind us again, what happened to Volvo 3?)

John
Volvo 3 was bought by my friend so VOlvo 4 is the next sequence number,

Yes a build thread will be started in the coming weeks.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

6 October 2018

After collecting new winch cables for Volvo1 and the new fridge from the shop it was time for lunch then work on Volvo 2 for the afternoon.

Work is held up on Volvo 2 engine mounts due to the unexpected Pinzgauer engine rebuild going on on the restored Pinz. 2 people took the engine apart and then got removed from the workshop so the poor workshop owner is trying to put it all together after balncing the pistons and conrods. This truck needs to be finished to give Volvo 1 a bay when it's transported from IPOH to Kuala Lumpur in the coming weeks.

Meantime we decided to work on the new doors and sanded them down ready for primer and tapped all the dents out from the transporting from Sweden to Malaysia.

All was ok until breakfast decided to upset my stomach sigh.

The engine mounts look like they are getting closer to being completed however then the other PINZ decided to spit all its oil out the dipstick on startup in the afternoon. Oops another rebuild needed more delays to Volvo 2.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Friday 9 October 2018

A fleeting visit to have a discussion on progress and what's left to do before I take it home. Home date is agreed now 17th October 2018. The Tow truck is booked and confirmed.

It rained the whole 190k up to Ipoh and the whole way back to KL. The drive back listening to Sting, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac made the drive easier.

So progress since my last visit such a long time ago. They have finished the mods to the Orphanage's Kayak Trailer it's also ready to come home next week also.

A lot of little fixes and mods have been done, Fuel pressure issue has been resolved and the fuel filter moved to give more room for access. Air Tank moved also for more access to the engine bay.

The tube made and fitted under the chassis to allow the winch cable to not catch on anything is made and installed.

The rear side view and the new quick release tow bar for the kayak trailer all fitted

Brett smiling as he tells me it can go next weekend and holding the remote for the interior coloured lights. The rear tire carriers have also had the studs welded on now and not pressed in.

The front view and yes the doors are on for the first time in 7 years. Only the top halves to be fitted now.

Grills fitted on top of the rollcage to protect the radiator and air conditioning.

Everything almost fitted in the interior one seat and the gearbox cover to go. Leaving only the covering of the tunnel to be done and some minor painting of black around the window.

I hear I'm going to have a big issue at road transport inspection as I have changed the interior layout and also lined the cabin sigh! We will find out on the day.

The interior looks pretty good. The steering column cover is still to be found else they will have to fabricate an alloy one.

I can see all the instruments from my seating position.

The console looks good. Everything works except the 18500lb winch and the 2 air cond switches need to be fitted.

Right side view. The issue with the bottom of the poor gap at the bottom of the drivers door to be fixed in KL.

The lights in the rear 2 colours and the new black handles for climbing into the rear.

Green lights

Still one side panel to fit and the tree deflector is fitted to the top of the rear cabin.

View as the CIA satellite will see it lol.

View as the monkeys in trees will see it in Malaysia.

Yes it drives. Clutch pedal had the pivot point changed to make it work. Apparently it's a very heavy clutch, I will need to install the Toyota spring assist kit to fix this. They drove it out in the workshop but there is no brakes they ned to replace the vaccum pump as it's leaking and the air conditioning the shop needs a "new" fitting to prime the air cond.

So 8 days and it's home couldn't be happier. We have a small water leak to deal with at the water pump. Then I try and get inspection done the following week since everything that's needed to work for inspection works.

Still to do before next Saturday mooring. Steering Column cover. Fit floor. Fit PTO winch vaccum switches and panel. fit the door tops. fit the front window and the window wipers and washers. Fit door handles.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Friday 9 October 2018
See the other thread silly me posted to the wrong vehicle sorry.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Wow its really shaping up. Really curious how you will finish up the interior.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Saturday 27 October 2018

5.55AM my chauffer arrives and I give him the keys to the 80 Series Landcruiser I'm borrowing/buying while my Isuzu is in the workshop for new master cylinder for the past 2 weeks. The aircond dies lol its a hot trip up.

Biggest day in the life of the Volvo it's coming home the tow truck is due to arrive in IPOH 9am, The 190k cruises past as my chauffer wheels his way north.

I say hello and goodbye to the all restaurant staff whom I've eaten breakfast at for the past 2.5 years.

Inspection time Brett and myself inspect whats done whats good and whats left to do.

Bolted all up for the first time its starting to take shape with only the transmission tunnel and the

repaint the obvious stuff to complete.

Pensive as I look it all over will it make the 24th November deadline.

The roof console and the reverse camera.

The harness seatbelts remain to be bolted in and the engine cover is finally bolted down.

The fuel pump and fuel tank filler area is cleaner with the fuel filter and compressor tank moved tight to the cabin. The fuel feed issue fixed with the minor leak repaired.

Planning the next vehicle? Or discussing RFC next event they are both going to attend.

Number plates now attached and the Kayak trailer tow bar is fitted. The rear panels all bolted in we found a water leak at the end of the journey.

Spare tires all mounted we need to mount a anti vibration rack later and a wheel mounting slide/guide pin.

The newly powdercoated grill and the tool kit is now bolted down behind the drill. The new front windows were only fitted Friday afternoon.

The moment for it to be squeezed onto the flatbed it fitted by inches.

The journey home uneventful apart from the tow truck struggling up every hill.

Pic of it in it's new home tonight. I took it for a drive before parking it in it's new bay while we finish it. Very night drives quite well apart from the shuddering steering which we think we know whats causing this.
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Post by Derrickbwg »

I am super impressed and equally jealous. Outstanding job!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Volvo 2 - What not another one - WR6973

Post by geckoadventure »

7 April 2019

Got my little sidekick to help out but since he is recovering from his motorbike accident he slept all arvo instead

Then the arvo thunderstorm rains started and we all headed for the treehouse and talked poop for 3 hours and drank tea.

Pulled the window washer and checked for leaks.

The carpet is slowly being installed.

Drivers side is a mess while we fix up the brakes issue

Slowly the carpet is installed.

Rubber Door seals installed.

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

28 April 2019

Made an Anderson plug jumper lead to made jump starting very easy and cried over the state of the batteries today's plan to start the truck again was shattered.

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

1 May 2019

There's not been a lot of real activity on the Volvo 6 weeks of weddings, birthdays a sick friend the passing of my 15 year Rawang Toyota Professor Mechanic. Collected the Landcruiser finally from IPOH 200k away then more issues with the Landcruiser breaking down several times since causing the loss of 2 Saturdays. Then the breakdown of the RED jungle truck and trailering it 70k from town since I no longer have my Toyota professor he did however before he passed recommend a new mechanic 70k from town.

Now back to the Volvo's

We have progressed in the brakes issue to purchasing a 80 Series Landcruiser twin diaphram booster and master cylinder and now im waiting for Andrew to mount it remotely. However the pesky PINZ still torments us and only on the 1st did they get the pesky PINZ back together with all new bearings in the transfer case and the rear differentials and wheel bearings etc then upon testing late on 1st it was still making a whining noise leaving work on the Volvo's stopped.

The window washer was removed as we thought it was leaking it's not now we are finding a new location for it as the 80 series booster is going in that location.

The carpet is slowly being installed.

I have made a bracket for the radiator overflow and mounted the overflow bottle.

We have worked on fitting the doors correctly and straitening a hinge out has sorted out the passenger door bottom. The top is having screw issues preventing the door being bolted down flush.

All the front door seals have been fitted and removed.

We lost the 3 batteries when they suddenly dropped to 2 volts overnight. They are now in a battery revival shop.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Wahoo the JD Squared 32 bender has arrived from the USA at some point we can commence to build the roll cages for Volvo 2 and 4 once we set it up on the shop floor and relocate the notching tool and the vice etc.

However its missing a PIN from the parts kit. We cannot finsh assembling it until the vital pin arrives.
OUTBACK
United States of America

Post by OUTBACK »

Very nice work.