Part II - Restoration and Exploration - Aaron's TGB 1111

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Part II - Restoration and Exploration - Aaron's TGB 1111

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Nice. You'll find those boxes on the bumper very limiting for off-roading though. Your approach angle is being killed by those things.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Aaron,
It is nice to see yet another Volvo TGB truck in the Pacific Northwest. You have done an amazing job refurbishing your late model Elva Elva. MJ owns my original red TGB11 fire truck. There is an earlier TGB1111 that has recently been relocated from Portland to Olympia.

I was amazed to Mark Hatten's MPH Specialties shop on a couple of your photos. I had attended several of his Micro Car gatherings (once with three Haflingers) in Forest Grove in the past and we had discussed Haflinger work as well. He brought his tiny blue Subaru van to our 2012 event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Q1IcfyJ7k (There is some Volvo 6x6 content)

Who is the B30A engine rebuilder with whom you have made contact? Just an FYI, there are two original Swedish Military TGB tool sets. One is in Oregon (Portland area) and one in Washington (Seattle area). I am very interested in seeing the scans of the 1111 and other manuals you have. MJ is going to loan me the original tool roll compartment sheet metal cover from my fire truck and I hope to be able to offer reproductions in the near future.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

I recently made contact with Alex who bought the TGB1111 (earlier 90mm gun version) which is up in Olympia now. I gave him a manual as well as the manuals for the TGB 1111 and the robot update book. He's going to scan them and get them back to me and I'm hoping to make the scanned versions available online to anyone who wants a copy. Longer term goal is to get them translated into English. I'd be happy to get you a copy when I have them (and anyone else who'd like one). I have the standard C303 book, the TGB 1111 (90 mm vers) small book and the TGB 1111 robot book. I mean to say I have the Army manuals in addition to the English book that was put out for the C303.

I've ridden in MJ's truck and it's a blast!

Mark at MPH has been great. I was lucky to meet him at a cars and coffee type gathering near the Ikea by the Airport and took him for a ride. It was fortuitous to say the least. Initially I went to Voltech in Portland, but I wasn't happy with their work or their attitude. All the engine work after that has been done by Mark at MPH. I'd love to know what's in a TGB tool set. Do you know who in Portland has one?

I'm planning on asking for time off for Mogfest this year, so expect to see me there! I'd love to see what the tool roll looks like.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

I added the stickers today. I tried to get some stencils made, but they just didn't work or look good. The stickers are the closest I could come to the same font without having someone from Sweden have them made and shipped over. It's a little cold today, it may not have been the best day to put them on, time shall tell. Thankfully they aren't expensive if I have to redo the washer fluid one.

Also I added a picture of the hydraulic arms on the ammo box. They make all the difference in the world and I can open the box from the side now without worrying about it smashing my fingers.

(original, big difference in sun fading)

aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

1st stage of the grill protector completed. It will be painted black and held in place with black zip ties. I won't make it a permanent attachment. I'll be going airsofting with some friends who have an LMVT and a few gun trucks and don't want the radiator to get damaged. No issues with airflow, no noticeable difference in the coolant level.

Went on my first real 4x4 trip in the Browns Camp OHV (Oregon's offroad recreation areas). I was with a friend, but we were the only truck so I stayed on only blue square or green circle trails, no black diamond or greater. It was a great day. I'm amazed at what the truck can do. I don't have an air comressor so I didn't air down the tires. The truck still did great and the only place I couldn't get through was a serious divot that had been dug in the trial with a root at the top of the rut. I couldn't get the lead tire over it and get any purchase, even with lockers engaged. I was just tearing up the section of trail so I backed out. I had a couple sections of exposed rock and loose rock on a steep hill climb that I thought for sure I wouldn't get up, no sweat though. I love how it just pulls in low 1.

I didn't have the clearance to get under "Cedar Tree", it's just too damn tall!

Here is where I got stuck. It's much deeper in person that it appears on the camera.

Yes the front gets dirt on it that it probably wouldn't if the boxes for the braces weren't there. I also got some dirt in the roll cage from the side wall of some of the trails. I'm amazed though at how well she turns and how nimble she is on the trails.

I'm lucky to live in such an amazing part of the country.

The good news: The truck ran great. No issues with the engine or overheating. No issues in low or high. Both lockers worked great and I verified the front locker is working even though the bulb is not lighting up. No issues with many shifts in and out of 4x4. Wow, this thing can go almost anywhere (although there were plenty of black diamond trails I didn't do).

The bad: Both my front leaf springs broke. The left one disconnected, I assume it was when a wheel was in the air. The right one is still attached, but the end loop cracked. I don't know when it happened, I never heard any really loud noise and didn't even notice it initially until I realized the left leaf was not attached and the truck was resting on the end instead of it hooked to the end of the shackle. I've dropped her off at the best 4x4 place in town who will take them off and either have the top leaf replaced or the whole package.

The auxiliary heater has a bearing going out, at least that's what it sounds like. No issue in low speed, makes a noise in high speed. Still puts out a ton of heat though in low, I'll have to look into repairing it?

I'm ok with the leafs breaking, they are/were old and worn and I was planning to have them replaced this year. I'm glad it didn't do any other damage though!
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

great pics, looks like a lot of fun.
1972 710m
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

I like the "modern" windscreen rubber seals....any idea what the name or part number for that profile is?
Your TGB is looking great!
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

It looks great with the new paint job, but...
it looks happier dirty!
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

totaljoint wrote:It looks great with the new paint job, but...
it looks happier dirty!
Wet and muddy! Hell yeah!
I like the "modern" windscreen rubber seals....any idea what the name or part number for that profile is?
Your TGB is looking great!
There is a guy in Portland Or known as "The Glass Guy." Unfortunately it's a custom one off job. I took the original glass out because the seals were shot, it needed to be scrubbed for rust and the plan was to replace the same glass, but my friend broke the panel by accident. Since I try to look at these things as an opportunity I replaced the glass with tempered safety glass and got new seals, but it is a one off custom job.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Aaron,
The factory Swedish Army tool set in the Portland area is actually on our farm in Sheridan. It is missing only one small pice of a magnetic arm that holds the dial indicator in place. The other set in Renton, WA is completely intact. I plan to have the one missing piece from our set fabricated. You are welcome to take a look at the set when you come to Waldersee.

The factory Swedish Army tool roll is lacking only the original open end wrenches.The parts manual suggests that the wrenches are metric and yet much of the hardware I have found has been a mix of metric and SAE sizes and threat patterns. I make a point of carrying tool sets of both whenever I travel any distance. As with the tool box, you are more than welcome to take a look. If anyone out there has a more complete tool roll with original open end wrenches, it would be great to learn the sizes chosen.

Where did you source your aluminum expanded metal panel for your grill guard? Did "The Glass Guy" try to find rubber extrusions to match the original profile. Don't get me wrong. The final result on your truck looks fantastic. It is actually similar to the windshield original windshield treatment on the very early C-series prototypes. I have had very good luck with rubber extrusions from both Metro Molded Products and Steele Rubber Products. Later today, I am replacing my body seal for the driver's side "safari" window opening.

I look forward to seeing your truck in person.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

A local friend has a side business making molle accessories, pouches and such. I asked him if he could make a pair of seat covers to protect the seats as well as give me some flexibility for storage.

I'm happy with the results, I can still use the map holder (I guess it's a map holder). The material has enough room to add some foam which would be nicer.

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Looks good are you ever going to look at removing the front boxes for extra ground clearance?
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Thanks! No, I plan to leave them on for now. The only way to take them off would be to cut them off and I don't want to change the truck that much. I didn't have any issues on the trails here at our OHV (offroad) area. I know they hurt the approach angle, but it just hasn't seem to have been an issue yet.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Jim Molloy wrote:Aaron,

Where did you source your aluminum expanded metal panel for your grill guard? Did "The Glass Guy" try to find rubber extrusions to match the original profile. Don't get me wrong. The final result on your truck looks fantastic. It is actually similar to the windshield original windshield treatment on the very early C-series prototypes. I have had very good luck with rubber extrusions from both Metro Molded Products and Steele Rubber Products. Later today, I am replacing my body seal for the driver's side "safari" window opening.

I look forward to seeing your truck in person.
Take care.

Jim Molloy

Looking forward to showing it to you at Mogfest. the metal panel is sourced from a friends machine shop, it's basically scrap. It's a good temporary solution to a problem that hasn't manifested itself. I'm concerned about rocks or anything else impacting the radiator, so the grill guard has been nice and no impact on cooling as far as I could tell. I don't plan on making it permanent. Painting it and then still using zip ties will work just fine. For the glass, sadly no. The curves of the resulting product was not what I was expecting, but once it was done I was ok with the end result.

In my part of the NW it was a great day for a drive.

A little bit of touch up to do on the paint... and now that it's painted the rims really stand out in how bad they are.... but that's a bigger project that I want to tackle now.
Green machine
Argentina

Post by Green machine »

Wow!

Great job. I didn’t know how much TLC went into your TK. Good job with the documentation.