Air Conditioning Planning

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
AppleTech
United States of America

Air Conditioning Planning

Post by AppleTech »

So I have just gotten my TGB. Working out the kinks, but I really do love it so far. As I get more comfortable with the truck and avoiding babying it, I really am enjoying it. Can’t wait to get it offroad.

The one consideration I have is A/C. I’m here in the South and spending a day in a dark baking box doesn’t seem fun. Does adding a condenser in front of the radiator completely kill airflow? If I added a pusher fan? I think getting a compressor on the motor shouldn’t be hard since the 164 was able to be optioned with air conditioning (presuming it used a York?) but I don’t know if there is enough room in there.

Just curious if anyone has completed anything like this? I know there is the Red Dot units which are unsightly (in my opinion) but seem to simplify the setup. I was also considering maybe a 3D-printed spacer for the heater housings to add an evaporator in there... thoughts?
brandonium
United States of America

Re: Air Conditioning Planning

Post by brandonium »

Your only real option for a compressor on that B30 would be on the drivers side and even then the 164 and 140 compressors were mounted high. I have considered rooftop A/C for mine as I would not want to try and cram any more in the engine area. I am saving that small space on the drivers side of the engine for a PS pump...although with fab skills all things are possible. For me having a roof mounted A/C would be heaps easier and I also do not want to screw around with trying to add a blower motor and A/C vents in the dash area.. that section is already extremely limited on space.
AppleTech
United States of America

Post by AppleTech »

brandonium wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 am Your only real option for a compressor on that B30 would be on the drivers side and even then the 164 and 140 compressors were mounted high. I have considered rooftop A/C for mine as I would not want to try and cram any more in the engine area. I am saving that small space on the drivers side of the engine for a PS pump...although with fab skills all things are possible. For me having a roof mounted A/C would be heaps easier and I also do not want to screw around with trying to add a blower motor and A/C vents in the dash area.. that section is already extremely limited on space.
I thought the rooftop units were ALL IN ONE, but then I understood they still need a compressor running off the engine, which complicates things a bit. I agree with you that mounting one on the roof simplifies a LOT of the setup... but you still have to consider getting the compressed freon to and fro the RTU.
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

You are partially correct. I believe some units exist that are all in one.
AppleTech
United States of America

Post by AppleTech »

brandonium wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:46 pm You are partially correct. I believe some units exist that are all in one.
Aha - that would be the way to go for sure. Probably require an alternator upgrade but that's likely way cheaper than hanging something else off the motor and also cost less HP.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

You might wish to explore this line of thought.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... ed-ac.html
Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Roof mount is the only way to go here. I've been around a few units but never owned one due to costs. Messing with a dash install is just not going to work out well. There's a good reason most commercial/industrial vehicle builders go with the roof units. Also there's nothing better than the vent outlets being right above you and blowing directly on your face when its 95 and 90% humidity outside.

Red Dot makes a self contained unit that runs on 24v. You have to carefully consider the power draw like was mentioned. For those of us who have suffered with super humid, southern heat, the effort to cool down your cab, at least the front part of it, is worth it. Specs on the one Im thinking of is 15,000 BTU and draws 60-100amps(!).

Oh, found a pic!
Attachments
71pthRzd7eL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
71pthRzd7eL._AC_SL1024_.jpg (156.18 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

AppleTech
United States of America

Post by AppleTech »

Thanks Vince that was the unit I was looking at when it was mentioned there was an AIO unit with electric compressor. Seems like a nice unit. Costs are pretty high but when you consider installation is pretty much cutting a hole and bolting it on and running a few wires the cost makes more sense. I would imagine trying to source and build your own system that runs off the engine would nearly reach that cost in parts if not in labor.

Would have to account for an upgraded alternator for sure. I wonder if that unit would have enough BTU to cool the front and rear sections - I will want to bring the kiddos along too. What I'm seeing though it has a pretty sizable BTU rating. Looks like they sell some alternate ceiling mount boxes with various outlets too that could likely be used to move some air aft.
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

I would think 15k BTU would cool the entire interior of a TGB. You might have to pipe some vents into the back for better distribution. My thing would be account for an alternator that can give you 24v and 200 amps. Almost certain the alternators we can source that currently fit a B30 cannot provide that output. I contacted a few alternator shops some time ago and was told no way no how on a power jump of that size on the size alternators we currently run. A 24v/200a alternator from rareelectricical is around $900 and 17" long. No way I can fit two alternators as I need the drivers side mount for a PS pump.
Tjerk
South Africa

Post by Tjerk »

An engine-mounted compressor and even possibly a radiator-mounted condenser depending on the type of rooftop unit is the way to go.
There are scores of units out there on the market.
I fitted many of these units to vans and buses.
Tjerk
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

Not a chance...if you want to run PS then you are not squeezing an A/C compressor in there plus A/C lines routing where? Into the cab, through the back? This approach is by far the least practical...

Have an all in one unit makes the most sense on these.
AppleTech
United States of America

Post by AppleTech »

brandonium wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am I would think 15k BTU would cool the entire interior of a TGB. You might have to pipe some vents into the back for better distribution. My thing would be account for an alternator that can give you 24v and 200 amps. Almost certain the alternators we can source that currently fit a B30 cannot provide that output. I contacted a few alternator shops some time ago and was told no way no how on a power jump of that size on the size alternators we currently run. A 24v/200a alternator from rareelectricical is around $900 and 17" long. No way I can fit two alternators as I need the drivers side mount for a PS pump.
I would question if a 200A unit would be needed. AC compressor systems are rated generally for the high amperage hit that happens when the compressor starts, which is momentary. Surely the batteries could handle that hit for just a moment. You'd have to look at what the running amps looked like to size your alternator.
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

AppleTech wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm
brandonium wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am I would think 15k BTU would cool the entire interior of a TGB. You might have to pipe some vents into the back for better distribution. My thing would be account for an alternator that can give you 24v and 200 amps. Almost certain the alternators we can source that currently fit a B30 cannot provide that output. I contacted a few alternator shops some time ago and was told no way no how on a power jump of that size on the size alternators we currently run. A 24v/200a alternator from rareelectricical is around $900 and 17" long. No way I can fit two alternators as I need the drivers side mount for a PS pump.
I would question if a 200A unit would be needed. AC compressor systems are rated generally for the high amperage hit that happens when the compressor starts, which is momentary. Surely the batteries could handle that hit for just a moment. You'd have to look at what the running amps looked like to size your alternator.
I am not so certain. This being a self contained kit there is a reason they call out 100 amps with more than one asterisk. lol. Perhaps I am wrong but I would double and triple check.. remember you are now running a compressor via electricity and not off the engine. That accounts for a lot in the AIO unit. Even calls this out for the E6100

"WARNING: This unit requires significant amp draw to function properly. Consult a professional for installation and charging. Serious equipment damage can occur if improper/inadequate electrical connections are attempted."
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

As you can see if you plan on using it on a 100° day you are pretty close to 100a continuous. Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

AppleTech
United States of America

Post by AppleTech »

brandonium wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:40 pm As you can see if you plan on using it on a 100° day you are pretty close to 100a continuous. Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Wow! Thats a big draw. Wonder what the factory load is on the truck.